Phraya Nakhon Cave

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Big Boy

Phraya Nakhon Cave

Post by Big Boy »

Having conquered the 396 steps to the top of Chong Krajok Mountain I thought I was pretty good. I was even blasé about it, and didn’t bother to collect my certificate of achievement from the Tourism Department, Prachuap Kiri Khan Municipality. Well that wasn’t even a mild warm up for this baby. I’ll let you read all of the touristy bumph for yourselves – this place is very well documented on the Internet. I’m going to concentrate on MY JOURNEY.
20140107_121952.jpg
We set off from home at about 9:15 and travelled to the cave, which was situated about 30ish miles South of Hua Hin, within Sam Roi Yod National Park.

This journey is in 2 distinct parts - the first part which I will concentrate on today was actually the wrong cave.

The Wrong Cave
A colourful crab monument by the car park.
A colourful crab monument by the car park.
DSC01679b.JPG (112 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
A staircase up into the mountain - surely this had to be the right way.
A staircase up into the mountain - surely this had to be the right way.
DSC01685b.JPG (136.63 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Down there?  surely you can't be serious!
Down there? surely you can't be serious!
DSC01688b.JPG (129.86 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
Hmmm...... has somebody got a shilling for the meter?
Hmmm...... has somebody got a shilling for the meter?
DSC01695b.JPG (102.09 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
I guess somebody comes here to worship, but this isn't the promised land that we were looking for.
I guess somebody comes here to worship, but this isn't the promised land that we were looking for.
DSC01698b.JPG (100.72 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
This was a good warm up for the huge journey ahead, but very disappointing at the same time. I don't think we'll ignore a request for donations for electricity again.

Next installment will be the journey to the proper cave.

Full report and more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Re: Phraya Nakhon Cave

Post by Big Boy »

The long trek to the cave entrance

Having suffered a robust warm up, we now found the correct route to the cave:
The sign to the cave beside the toll booth.  The staircase up the first mountain, although well worn, did not look too daunting.
The sign to the cave beside the toll booth. The staircase up the first mountain, although well worn, did not look too daunting.
DSC01700b.JPG (134.91 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
The stairs become non-existent.
The stairs become non-existent.
DSC01704b.JPG (141.15 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
The views made the climb well worth it.
The views made the climb well worth it.
The way up the 2nd mountain.
The way up the 2nd mountain.
DSC01712b.JPG (147.36 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
The climb is steep, with many groups ahead of us.
The climb is steep, with many groups ahead of us.
DSC01715b.JPG (149.9 KiB) Viewed 2625 times
The entrance to the cave.
The entrance to the cave.
DSC01720b.JPG (146.74 KiB) Viewed 2640 times
Next installment is inside the cave.

Full report and many more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The descent into the cave/Royal Pavilion

2 mountains conquered, we now had the descent into the cave and the promised land of getting face to face with the Royal Pavilion:
As we started our descent, the trees were towering above us.
As we started our descent, the trees were towering above us.
DSC01728b.JPG (157.89 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Like something out of The Lost World, we could start to see the jungle below us.
Like something out of The Lost World, we could start to see the jungle below us.
DSC01732b.JPG (130.93 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Once we'd reached the bottom, and were in the cave, looking up to where we'd come from we could see a natural bridge.
Once we'd reached the bottom, and were in the cave, looking up to where we'd come from we could see a natural bridge.
DSC01737b.JPG (92.54 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
We were in the first cave, but where was the Pavilion?  What's that through the crack in the cave wall?
We were in the first cave, but where was the Pavilion? What's that through the crack in the cave wall?
DSC01738b.JPG (78.31 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
At last, we'd found the cave, although we were too late to catch the sun in the perfect position.
At last, we'd found the cave, although we were too late to catch the sun in the perfect position.
DSC01741b.JPG (123.96 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
The Royal Pavilion.
The Royal Pavilion.
DSC01747b.JPG (126.7 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
Full report and many more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1

Points 41; Position 18
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Post by traveller2 »

BB, is there another route to the Phraya Nakhon Cave, via a boat ride and shorter walk?
We are bringing my wifes family over with us in september and they are hoping to visit this cave. However, her mother will be 70 and I think the walk you did may be too much for her.
Thanks

T2
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

traveller2 wrote:BB, is there another route to the Phraya Nakhon Cave, via a boat ride and shorter walk?
We are bringing my wifes family over with us in september and they are hoping to visit this cave. However, her mother will be 70 and I think the walk you did may be too much for her.
Thanks

T2
You obviously didn't read all of BB's detailed posts because he mentions the boat alternative for those that can't/don't want to face the arduous walk.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

I've done that 'over the headland' walk twice

First time was 20 years ago and it was easy - I was 44

Did it 2 years ago (I was 62) and it bloody nigh killed me

Trust me - the boat is the easier option

However - you still have to get from the beach up into the cave and back down again - and THAT's not easy either.

Having said all that - the view in the cave of the Pavilion is something else - I've never seen a photograph that does it justice.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

traveller2 wrote:BB, is there another route to the Phraya Nakhon Cave, via a boat ride and shorter walk?
Thanks

T2
Having suffered/enjoyed the scenic route there and back, I have my suspicions. I think it could be a bit like Disneyland, where things aren't actually as they seem.

If you read my report, you'll see mention of the row of dustbins on the halfway beach, which is only accessible on foot or by boat. So how do these bins get emptied? Through the trees you can see a small village - there has to be a road servicing this. Half way up the mountain to the cave there was another large bin. How does that get emptied?

I just have a suspicion there might be an easier way.

I would guess that you would have to speak to the National Parks people to see if there is a service route that you could use, but then again, conquering the mountains is part of the fun.

Points 41; Position 18
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Post by traveller2 »

Thanks for the information BB.
I think we will try the shorter boat route. Even my better half thinks the route you took would be too hard for them all.

Danny Boy, you are of course right. I missed the links :oops:

:cheers:

T2
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
Alfasteve
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Alfasteve »

Followed the instructions and made the climb. A great spot - certainly worth the trouble!
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

Going to visit the cave next Wednesday as part of the "Sea cruise on 'The Peacock'" with Mermaid Cruises.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Really? I didn't realise the cave was part of the Mermaid tour. Make sure you wear sturdy footwear. I found a good stick to help my balance a good aid as well. Be ready for a good climb :wink:

Points 41; Position 18
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

It is an electable part of the tour while everyone else is snorkling:
Full day of fun for the whole family.
The tour starts by admiring the panoramic view of the area from a hilltop temple. Cruise through the picturesque fishing village of Pak Nam Pran and out to the open sea. Set sail to Monkey Island, ferry ashore and feed the monkeys (bananas provided), try some fishing (rods & bait provided) or maybe just enjoy a relaxing swim in the clean, calm, warm, safe waters of the Gulf.

You can also take our speedboat and cross to the National Park to walk up and visit the famous Phraya Nakhon Cave.
Also stroll along the beach and see the beautiful Langur Monkeys at play with their incredible yellow babies (national park entrance fee included in the tour price!!)

Delicious Thai buffet on board (minimum 5 items, including chicken, fish, pork and vegetable dishes), fresh fruit, music, DVD, bar, karaoke, transport to and from hotel.

9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
1,950 per person, children 1,200 baht

On our full-day trips there's always a good chance
to catch a glimpse of the endangered Irrawaddy dolphins.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I wasn't doubting you - sounds very good. I know that I did both mountains, but I reckon you're going to have to get a shift on the make sure you don't miss an excellent lunch - maybe take your jogging gear :wink: .

Points 41; Position 18
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

Yes, have to try to get over to the cave right after we arrive at Monkey Island while others are snorkeling.

And me jogging? ;-) I guess I could have called myself "A little smaller Boy" ;-)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Don't worry, I don't think it would be possible to jog it if you were super fit. Try to get to the cave before 11:00 to see the pavilion at its best.

Points 41; Position 18