Changing money in Khao Takiab

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
max51

Changing money in Khao Takiab

Post by max51 »

Hi! OK I've booked flight for January, and plan to spend 60 days in los, probably mainly around Hua Hin. I'm inclined to stay in Khao Takiab as it seems to have better beaches for walking to the South, but easy to get into Hua Hin for nightlife.
Usually I just exchange enough at bkk airport for taxi and first night, and change money as I need it at exchange booths.
Are there exchange booths or banks in Khao Takiab where I can change money (mainly Travellers Cheques), or will I have to go into Hua Hin?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Re: Changing money in Khao Takiab

Post by SunandFun »

I think Market Village is the closest place.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!
max51

Post by max51 »

OK thanks for fast reply SunandFun! I'd better change enough at airport for a few days then.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Why don't you just withdraw from an ATM? It's only a 150thb charge and far more convenient...
GN.
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

Yes, I would also suggest using ATM's. The places, including banks that accept traveler cheques today is becoming very few.
And if you use the Aeon Bank ATM at Market Village (3rd floor), you don't even have to pay the ฿150 fee!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Most overseas banks also charge commissions and fees for using a credit or debit card at ATMs here. As an example, if I use my Barclays debit card, I always reckon on losing 2-3 Baht on the exchange rate - ie if 50 to the GBP, I'll get 47ish after all charges. There are also daily withdrawal limits and overseas banks are wont to block cards if they see money being withdrawn in Thailand. Mind you, this can be avoided by telling your bank that you'll be using the card here before you go. Also get a call centre number so you can contact your bank in case of problems.
Having said all that, it is convenient to use the ATM here. However, it might not be the most cost effective way to get at your money. The OP should investigate charges etc before relying solely on the hole in the wall.
BTW, the foreign desk at the main Bangkok Bank on Petchkasem Road also dosn't levy a fee for getting Baht on a card and there is no limit on how much you can take - subject to solvency at your bank!! Take your passport along as well.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

lomuamart wrote:Mind you, this can be avoided by telling your bank that you'll be using the card here before you go.
I wish that were still true with my bank. It used to be like that and it worked, then they said 'oh, we don't do that anymore' and I started getting the dreaded contact your bank message. I got upset when I was blocked on the same trip a 2nd time having already phoned the bank in the UK after the 1st block.

Got myself a Thai account and an FX card. Better exchange rate and a smaller fee. Way to go.
Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Same here. The amount of money and time I've spent over the years calling Barclays to get my card unblocked!! They used to have a section on their internet banking where you could inform them that you would be using the card here. The longest time period was 90 days and once that was coming up you could just do another 90. That's been discontinued now as they reckon their computers are more "intelligent" and can see that withdrawals here are "usual". Really? Could have fooled me as I've still had to call from time to time.
The Thai bank account and transfers to it are indeed they way to go but probably not convenient for a short term visitor. And then the banks strike again. I am charged 25 GBP for a transfer of any amount and I get the proper exchange rate when it's converted in BKK or HH. This month there was a second charge of 8 GBP for an international transfer, so total 33 GBP.
Don't we just love the banking system?
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

You could always get a 'currency card' which acts just like a debit card that you can top up with funds from your bank then withdraw over here at a decent exchange rate without any foreign currency fees from your bank (the 150bt ATM charge still applies as that's charged at this end).
tweedychris
Amateur
Amateur

Post by tweedychris »

you can go to kassikorn bank market village open account took me 20 minutes pay 400baht for debit card pay all your traverles cheques in to account then you can draw money out from any k bank atm
max51

Post by max51 »

tweedychris wrote:you can go to kassikorn bank market village open account took me 20 minutes pay 400baht for debit card pay all your traverles cheques in to account then you can draw money out from any k bank atm
Thanks I might do that.
And thanks for all the other suggestions. I will have debit and credit cards for emergencies, but didn't want to use them routinely as apart from the 150Baht ATM fee my UK provider would also charge a fee, and cards might also get blocked. I thought that Travellers Cheques for a 1% commission from my bank would be the cheapest and most secure option.
SunandFun
Guru
Guru

Post by SunandFun »

Travelers checks also yield the best exchange rate. They are just a little inconvenient. One caution...make sure you have your name on the TC exactly as it appears in your Passport and sign it the same. This will avoid problems cashing them. You will need to take your passport with you each time you cash one.
I wouldn't have to manage my anger if people could learn to mange their stupidity!