More to Prachuap Khiri Khan than sun, sea and sand

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
bajm

More to Prachuap Khiri Khan than sun, sea and sand

Post by bajm »

Proximity to the capital may be making Hua Hin a victim of its own success; venture a bit farther afield, though, and your efforts will be rewarded

See the full story in the Bangkok Post: http://www.bangkokpost.com/travel/trave ... or-comfort
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: More to Prachuap Khiri Khan than sun, sea and sand

Post by richard »

BUT for how long?

Everywhere is developing although not at the same rate but how long before that idyllic place you found starts to change? Applies all over the globe
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

A real seaside retreat Shhh, don’t tell anyone ... but this place resembles Hua Hin before all the tourists descended

Small fishing boats moored in the shallows of the tranquil bay bob up and down with each passing wave. The bright sunlight is no deterrent for some tourists who roam happily along the beach, enjoying the occasional breeze as they wade into the turquoise-coloured water. A man takes an afternoon nap in a comfortable spot he’s found in the shade of a big banyan tree.

It's another sleepy day at the seaside in Muang district, Prachuap Khiri Khan, and while things get a bit livelier in these parts on long holiday weekends, the atmosphere remains laid-back and unhurried.

"Life is rather relaxing here. Though business isn't exactly brisk and we have to be careful how we spend our money, I think it's worth it to be able to enjoy everyday life as much as I do", enthused Kulphong Naknoi, owner of a coffee bar and bike shop on Sue Suk Road, who said he has no regrets about leaving Bangkok a few years back to relocate to this southeastern province.

Full Story: Bangkok Post
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

richard wrote:BUT for how long?

Everywhere is developing although not at the same rate but how long before that idyllic place you found starts to change? Applies all over the globe
Maybe, but we are living NOW and living now in Prachuap city is quite different from living now in Huahin, as I can see when I happen to go to Huahin.

100 km more makes it difficult for BKK people to come every weekend, and foreigners like places where there are many foreigners, so that Prachuap will probably be a quiet city for many years more. When it becomes like Huahin, I will move southwards again...
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

To be honest, there must be about a hundred sleepy fishing villages down the coastline if that's the sort of place you want to live in. Personally it's not my scene but if it was, I would just pick one and not tell anyone about it!
The biggest problem is that many people can't see a sleepy fishing village without trying to find a way to profit from it by turning it into a tourist resort.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I think also people don't really want a completely sleepy little fishing village - as you say, there are plenty of them around; they want "just enough" development to suit their particular needs.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

STEVE G wrote:To be honest, there must be about a hundred sleepy fishing villages down the coastline if that's the sort of place you want to live in. Personally it's not my scene but if it was, I would just pick one and not tell anyone about it!
The biggest problem is that many people can't see a sleepy fishing village without trying to find a way to profit from it by turning it into a tourist resort.
Prachuap city is not a sleepy fishing village, it is the administrative capital city of the province and it has about everything that could turn it into a tourist resort, but no beer bars, as far as I know...

90 km further to the south, Bangsaphan is a smaller but nice city with a reasonable amount of foreigners. Could be my next choice if Prachuap develops too much...
buksida

Post by buksida »

As mentioned in the article one of the problems is land; once owners sell a couple of over-priced plots to foreigners that dont know the market value, all the others see the dollar signs and the asking prices for land doubles overnight for no other reason than "well, Joe got 3 million for his land ... so can I". This is exactly what has happened in Bangsaphan and Prachuab is rapidly catching up.

The Thai word for greed is vastly underused.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

buksida wrote:As mentioned in the article one of the problems is land; once owners sell a couple of over-priced plots to foreigners that dont know the market value, all the others see the dollar signs and the asking prices for land doubles overnight for no other reason than "well, Joe got 3 million for his land ... so can I". This is exactly what has happened in Bangsaphan and Prachuab is rapidly catching up.

The Thai word for greed is vastly underused.
Which is interesting is that in most (or all) cases, the foreigners will pay but will not own the land since foreigners cannot own land in Thailand.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

From what I've seen in some of the areas nearer to the south of Hua Hin such as Khao Kalok and Dolphin Bay, it's Bangkok Thais who are predominantly buying up expensive land.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, those too!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

The in-laws started buying beachfront land in Kui Nuea, Pak Nam Pran, Ao Noy Bay and Ao Manao, way back in the early 80's, when land in these areas was very cheap.

We were speaking about it the other day with the wife and I asked them what they intended to do with it, were they going to develop it?
"Nothing" was the answer. "The land will take care of itself" Which I suppose is true, when viewed from the Thai perspective.

As mentioned earlier, BKK Thais seem to prefer to buy land and just sit on it, sometimes for 30 years or more. Which, when I think about it, is a sensible decision.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.