Drive to Prachuap Khiri Khan

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Drive to Prachuap Khiri Khan

Post by Henry 14th »

Hello all,

I am new to the area and am looking at venturing out in the car to see what's further south. First port of call being Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Just a couple of questions for those who know the route.

Firstly is it worth a visit, just for a day out with the misses and kid, not expecting bright lights or anything but just a walk on the beech, bite to eat, check out a different place thats all.

What is the most scenic drive? I see that Petkaseam Road is the main route, but was wondering if there is a road that hugs the coast line, either in part or the whole way down?

Is there anything worth stopping off for on the way? I see that Khao Kalok gets a little praise, again, is it worth a visit for a simple look around?

I guess I could just start the motor and go, but it's always nice to know a little about what to expect.

Looking for some positive answers, the previous Forum I used in Bangkok (Thai Visa) was nothing short of a nightmare, full of snide comments and void of anything helpful. Got to say that this forum seems a whole lot better in that sense.

Cheers.

Henry.
Big Boy

Re: Drive to Prachuap Khiri Khan

Post by Big Boy »

Hi Henry, welcome to the forum. I'm still exploring the area myself, so probably am not the best person to tell you the best routes. However, if you're going to Prachuab, the local beach at Ao Manao is worth the extra couple of miles - IMHO the prettiest beach around this area. Just a few miles further South is the aquarium at Waghor. While there, you're at the narrowest part of Thailand, and can easily drive to the Burmese Border at Dasinkorn (spelling?), where there is a very cheap market.

For a scenic route, I tend to go left just before Pranburi and pick up the coastal road at Pak Nam Pran - lovely ride along the coast, although you will have to double back occassionally because the road does end abruptly sometimes.

As the coastal road ends, I head for Sam Roi Yod (300 peaks, I think) National Park. It's quite a spectacular drive through here.

Further South (in terms of scenery) I've yet to explore.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Excellent advise from Big Boy. I always find it interesting to cross the airport runway at Ao Manao to get to the other side and the beaches. Remember also the only battle with the Japanese by the Thai's was fought right there. There is a large plaque on the event as you drive through the military base and before you cross the airport runway.

Can climb the 100's of steps up the mountain infested with monkeys to get a good view of the surrounding bays and land.

Should be a fun experience for a good day's outing.
buksida

Post by buksida »

You can take the back roads all the way to Kui Buri, then its a 20km or so blast on the highway to Prachuab. Have a look at these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=15570
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17492
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=13373
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

That is for the advice chaps, looking forward to the day out.

Cheers.
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

Can you see any aircraft action at Ao manao? I may stay there for 2 or 3 nights in November, is it Sunny Guesthouse which gets good reviews?
TIA
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been to Ao Manao a few times, but have never seen an aircraft land or take off, although I always have a good look before crossing the runway. You can always see a few aircraft at the end of the runway - I assume they work.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18