Sam Roi Yod National Park

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
marty175
Rookie
Rookie

Sam Roi Yod National Park

Post by marty175 »

Hi, I would like to visit Sam Roi Yod National Park on my trip to Hua Hin. Would you recommend taking a tour there? Or I was thinking of renting a car and having more freedom to explore the area across a day or two. Opinions welcomed :)
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Re: Sam Roi Yod National Park

Post by Ginjaninja »

Marty,
I cannot comment on the national park itself as I've only been in the visitors center however the route down there is quite pleasant providing you avoid Petchkasem Road which is the main highway running North to South. The coastal road south of Hua Hin takes you through many shrimp farms and beautiful mountainous scenery.
Regarding your other post about the G.P.S: Forget about hiring a car c/w a G.P.S. but consider setting up a 3G package on your smartphone. Using the G.P.S. on my iPhone is far superior to any stand-alone G.P.S. I've seen. It is very easy to setup using your Thai sim card. If you don't have one then I recommend 'True' for network coverage and then simply visit the True shop in Market Village (Hua Hin) or any similar outlet and have the staff setup the 3G package for your stay. A basic monthly package will suffice and cost no more than 700thb. Remember your in-car charger!!
The Hua Hin vinyard is also worth a visit for a spot of lunch and bit of elephant trekking. Ensure you have a designated driver as the wine list is very tempting to hard to resist. Again the smartphone will help you no-ends.
Good luck.
8)
GN.
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Post by traveller2 »

marty175 wrote:Hi, I would like to visit Sam Roi Yod National Park on my trip to Hua Hin. Would you recommend taking a tour there? Or I was thinking of renting a car and having more freedom to explore the area across a day or two. Opinions welcomed :)
When we go, we either go by car or m/cycle.

As GN has said, avoid phetkasem road and use the coastal roads for an interesting ride down.

Many various parts of Sam roi yot to visit such as Sai cave, Nakon cave (the cave with the royal pavilion in it). There's a lake covered in lotus flowers with boardwalks and salas to sit in, running out over the lake. Boat trips onto the lake too, I believe. Kao Kalok beach is on the way and quite nice. Dolphin Bay is a nice place and beach to visit.

Quite a few places to stay both in and near to Sam roi yot, just check out the 'accommodation' section.

Whenever we've been, its been quiet, not a lot of traffic.

Plenty of roads to travel down and explore the stunning scenery.

I hope this is some help. :thumb:

T2
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

The other alternative is a car and driver, this may be cheaper and you get local knowledge. :-)
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
marty175
Rookie
Rookie

Post by marty175 »

Thanks for the suggestions guys! To the post above, where would one obtain the services of a car and driver :)
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is a lot of info, with hotel options and booking, here: http://www.tourismhuahin.com/khao-sam-r ... huahin.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
marty175
Rookie
Rookie

Post by marty175 »

I have a hotel in mind, its just the traveling around part I am trying to prepare for.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

is there an entry fee to the park and if so does anyone know how much ?
wishing you all a lovely warm (49°) day
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Have a read of buksida's link above.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

It is category 2 = 200 Baht
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »