Life on the wild side in Kui Buri

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Watching wild elephants roam unrestricted in their natural jungle habitat is what attracts thousands of visitors every year to Kui Buri National Park, about an hour's drive south of Hua Hin town, Prachuap Khiri Khan.

And it isn't just elephants, there are other forms of wildlife there worth watching, making every visit a great learning experience. But park chief Chumphon Kaewket has a word of caution for them: "Never go about watching wildlife on your own, but always in the company of officers trained specifically for the purpose to ensure your safety."

As such, every day there is a tour taking visitors around the park and, if lucky, they may spot the odd gaur or other animals and birds. But even without those sightings the tour, that runs from 3-6pm, is pleasant enough, engaging and quite informative.

According to park officer Pairoj Inpanachitjui, the latest census revealed there are some 230 elephants in the wilds of Kui Buri which covers an area of 969 square kilometres or 605,625 rai, and straddles Kaeng Krachan National Park to its north and Tanao Si mountain range, which forms a natural border between Burma and Thailand, to the west.

Thirty per cent of Kui Buri's forest cover is formed by deciduous trees, 40% is dry evergreen forest and the rest topical rain forest. The forest is also the origin of Kui Buri River which has spawned at least four waterfalls in the park. Inhabitants of the wilds include tigers, black bear and gaur.

Full Story: Bangkok Post
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Re: Life on the wild side in Kui Buri

Post by Spitfire »

Well, seems this national park/reservation area is not getting the problems some other parks are experiencing with land encroachment etc that have recently been mentioned, and may it prosper as seems to be a haven for elephants and all etc.
Must admit though......when I opened this thread I was half expecting it to be about nightlife in said aforementioned area.

:oops:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Arcan
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Life on the wild side in Kui Buri

Post by Arcan »

After read the full story in Bankok Post I will definately visit the Park next time I go to Hua Hin. This was very interesting news, and this national park is not far away. Thanks for the information!