Going to the Monkey mountain?

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
KhîiLên
Rookie
Rookie

Going to the Monkey mountain?

Post by KhîiLên »

With my gf and baby son. Is it ok to bring a baby there? I was thinking of carrying him in a harness on my chest, but monkeys can get wild. Do's and don't anyone for monkey mountain?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Going to the Monkey mountain?

Post by hhfarang »

Don't take any food up with you or anything that looks or smells like food (like the baby's bottle).
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
elem
Professional
Professional

Post by elem »

I would not bring a baby there- those monkeys can be quite aggressive...
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.[Benjamin Franklin]
tood ling
Amateur
Amateur

Post by tood ling »

went there by myself one time. l was the only one on the path when i came accross a single monkey. l took the camera out of my backpack next thing l see is a dozon of them running at me. put the camera back and got ready to fight the monkeys. l threw my bag of peanuts. the monkeys came up looked at me looked at the peanuts looked at me then went for the nuts. l left with no problem but l would not have liked a infant with me
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've never had a problem with them. Don't make any sudden movements that might frighten, and they are fine. I've had them sat on my shoulders a few times.
DSC04803.JPG
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Don't make any sudden movements that might frighten, and they are fine.
Erm, you mean like a 6-month-old baby yelling its head off in terror?
I wouldn't take a babe in arms anywhere near them. Why take the chance?
This is the way
Essexgaz
Novice
Novice

Post by Essexgaz »

I saw a TV programme that said that a lot of the monkeys carry the Herpes B Virus which can be transferred to humans if bitten or scratched!!
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I've never had a problem with them.
Maybe they see you as some kind of giant that reminds them of when they had to fear humans and behave. :laugh:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

ive been there a few times and they must be the worst monkeys i have ever come across,sure they are mafia,ive seen them rob a food stand bare in 2-3 minutes
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It's not just there. We were on the mountain in Petchaburi and a macaque took a bottle of water from my mother in law. At monkey mountain in Takiab one jumped and hit my niece in the chest with his hind legs to steal a popsicle from her. Almost knocked her down.

And... not only do they carry other diseases, they have been known to spread AIDS from their bites from what I've read, so it's best to be careful.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

My little lad is 3.5 and obsessed with animals, stick a wildlife documentary on and he'll watch it for hours. He was absolutely loving it on the way up to monkey mountain looking at them through the car window but then petrified when we were out looking at them (although the Mrs was winding him up, didn't catch it all as in Thai but I think she was gonna hand him over to the monkeys :mrgreen:)

I wouldn't take a really young'un up there, they are quick and could be aggressive.

On a side note HHF, my old man was stopping at the house, got up in the morning, opened the doors, made a coffee and got back in bed for 15 minutes.

He then come back out of the room and had to fend off a large male monkey with a broom to get it out of the kitchen.
:lach:

God knows how and why it was that far away from Khao Takiab.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

BaaBaa. wrote:My little lad is 3.5 and obsessed with animals, stick a wildlife documentary on and he'll watch it for hours. He was absolutely loving it on the way up to monkey mountain looking at them through the car window but then petrified when we were out looking at them (although the Mrs was winding him up, didn't catch it all as in Thai but I think she was gonna hand him over to the monkeys :mrgreen:)

I wouldn't take a really young'un up there, they are quick and could be aggressive.

On a side note HHF, my old man was stopping at the house, got up in the morning, opened the doors, made a coffee and got back in bed for 15 minutes.

He then come back out of the room and had to fend off a large male monkey with a broom to get it out of the kitchen.
:lach:

God knows how and why it was that far away from Khao Takiab.
Good Coffee??
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

^

True story. We ain't a million miles from Takiab (the mountain, the area is Takiab) but It's still 10 minutes drive.

Dunno why it had ventured so far.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhfarang wrote:It's not just there. We were on the mountain in Petchaburi and a macaque took a bottle of water from my mother in law. At monkey mountain in Takiab one jumped and hit my niece in the chest with his hind legs to steal a popsicle from her. Almost knocked her down.

And... not only do they carry other diseases, they have been known to spread AIDS from their bites from what I've read, so it's best to be careful.
Personally, I've never found the monkeys at Takiab any less than tame. I do however, agree 100% with you about the ones on the mountain in Petchaburi, and several other areas where you observe monkeys.

If the OP needs to ask the question, it indicates a level of insecurity, and I would recommend they don't take a youngster up there.
baabaa. wrote:God knows how and why it was that far away from Khao Takiab.
I did notice when I went up there last year that there were droves of monkeys well down the mountain (almost in the fishing village). The lady who 'sort of' tends the monkeys said that they are searching for food, because farang aren't feeding them very much these days.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

BaaBaa. wrote:^

True story. We ain't a million miles from Takiab (the mountain, the area is Takiab) but It's still 10 minutes drive. Dunno why it had ventured so far.
Well, if he has a car and is smart enough to drive I think that I would be qizzing the Missus about just what she DID say to them. :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!