Good Mexican/(other)Western food in Khao Kalok

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Good Mexican/(other)Western food in Khao Kalok

Post by hhfarang »

We happened to be in Pranburi on personal business yesterday and lunch time rolled around, so I said to the missus, lets go down and eat on the beach road somewhere in Pak Nam Pran. The last time I went there the part of the road I'm familiar with along the beach was gravel but now it is a nice paved one so we kept driving south to see what we could see.

We were going through Khao Kalok and lo and behold I spotted a sign for a Mexican restaurant called "Fajitas"! Sounded good to both of us so we went into the Thai style open air establishment of two rooms divided by hanging beads (or something similar). The roadside room has a bar and several tables for diners and the rear room had more tables including a pool table and darts area.

The most interesting thing was the menu concept. We quite liked it. The entire menu consisted of good photos (one large one per page) of the available 14 items or meals all priced the same at 150 baht. They included (if memory serves):

-Nachos (Chicken or Beef)
-Burritos (Chicken or Beef)
-Tacos (Chicken, Beef, or Fish)
-Chimichangas
-Fajitas
-A Mexican fish dish (similar to fish and chips but with a chopped veggie salad and Mexican sauces instead of chips and peas
-English Breakfast
-Pork Fillet Steak (with sides)
-Meat Pie
-Fish and Chips with mushy peas
-Bar-B-Q Pork Ribs
-Chili Con Carne
-Spaghetti Bolonaise
-Cheeseburger

We had the beef nachos, Mexican fish dish, and chicken burritos along with an iced tea and a large bottle of Chang and were stuffed (the portions are large) for the cost of 550 baht for two people. We shared the dishes so I can tell you that the beer battered (menu photo showed a breadcrumb batter but I liked this better anyway) fish is very good and the burritos (2 large ones per 150 baht serving) were excellent. This is personal, but I like burritos without rice inside as I prefer that as a side dish if included and these had no (or no discernible) rice in them. Very tasty and served with the owners wife's home made salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and shredded cheese.

The place is run by a British expat and his Thai significant other and they are both very nice. It also seemed to be a local expat hangout as there were about 4 others in there lounging, drinking beer, and chatting with the owner.

Anyway, if you find yourself in this area with a hankering for Mexican or (other) western food in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere at a very reasonable price, I highly recommend it.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Re: Good Mexican/(other)Western food in Khao Kalok

Post by barrys »

We've been visiting Fajitas on a regular basis for a month or so now and find it very relaxing.

The food is very good value for money, though they have had to increase their prices a bit lately because of the hikes in food prices at the market -so that's understandable.

They show most of the major sports events and there's a really nice regular crowd there.
The service is also very good.

Certainly the best place around in these parts in all respects - give it a try if you're in the area. :cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The food is very good value for money, though they have had to increase their prices a bit lately because of the hikes in food prices at the market -so that's understandable.
Yes, stopped in there again this week after a round of golf at Dolphin Bay and the price (of every menu item) is now 180 baht.

If you're planning on making the trip just to eat there, then you should know they are closed on Mondays.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Cheers for the report HF and barrys, we will open an office in the area very soon so its good to know another place to go and eat. :thumb:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Popped in for a late lunch the other day, and agree that this place is well worth a visit. But be warned - the chilli con carne is not for the faint-hearted!!
This is the way
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Went to Fajita's again a couple of days ago and got one of the best meals I've had in a long time:

A whole big lamb shank with rosemary & mint gravy, veggies and mashed potatoes - it was delicious!!

Apparently they're starting Sunday lunches from this week for 200 baht - sounds like a great way to beat the election restrictions!!!
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

Very good food, good location, nice people and decent prices. What more do you want?

"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

A map from google pin pointing this place would be nice..You happy now I am hungry..No web site I take it?

TTJ :cheers:
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

A map pinpointing the X?

Here's one: http://tinyurl.com/map-replay
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

Farang wrote:A map pinpointing the X?

Here's one: http://tinyurl.com/map-replay
Thank you :bow:
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Went to Fajitas again and happy to report that they are still doing well. The standard menu items have been raised to 200 baht now though.

Would also like to report that Barry Niles has opened a new bar in Khao Kalok about 5 minutes south of Fajitas. The old timers on here will know Barry; for the others he is a resident Canadian who has run several bars/restaurants/guest houses in and around Hua Hin over the last 12 years (starting with J&B Guesthouse on Nebkahart road) and has many long time friends here. He now has a wonderful bar directly on the beach just south of the fishing village in south Khao Kalok across the road from the Siam Pearl Resort. It's a great place for a relaxing afternoon listening to/watching the waves hit the beach while having a few beers. Follow the beach road south until it turns west at the big mountain, go past the fishing harbor and look for it on the left side about another 150 meters on. It's the only beach bar in that area so you can't miss it.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Sorry, missed the edit window on that last post. Wanted to add since it is so far away that Barry's new bar is open from noon until evening, six days a week; closed today (Sundays).
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

Do they use mince meat for their meals or shredded meat,its really hard to find a decent,authentic mexican place that uses shredded meat,if its just mince meat,may as well just stay at home and do it yourself