Photo Road Trip: the coastline south of Prachuabkirikhan

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
buksida

Photo Road Trip: the coastline south of Prachuabkirikhan

Post by buksida »

Took a ride over the weekend south of Prachuab to explore some bays and beaches between Bangsaphan and Chumphon. There are some amazing little spots where the slow pace of life has remained unchanged for decades.
DSC_4323.jpg
DSC_4326.jpg
DSC_4330.jpg
DSC_4331.jpg
DSC_4334.jpg
DSC_4336.jpg
DSC_4337.jpg
Tiny fishing huts can be found clinging to rocky outcrops and desolate beaches and a Chinese temple over looks the bay which can be found near a town called Pak Khlong, about 60km north of Chumphon. Not a tourist, 7-11 or SUV in sight, people actually stop to wave and smile at you, it is like being in another country.

More to follow ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Photo Road Trip: the coastline south of Prachuabkirikhan

Post by richard »

Great pics buksi. Reminds me of the time 7 or 8 years ago when I used to rent a bike and Alan Ross, myself and friends used to meander down there and picnic in the small coves
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Great pics, thanks!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Great pics, keep on keeping on!
Happiness can't buy money
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for the photos - another one bookmarked for when I eventually move there. :thumb:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Yep, thanks for that Buks...... certainly something to look forward to on our next trip to HH :D

Unfortunately, not until December though!! :cry: :cry:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I stayed for 6.5 weeks at Bangsaphan Dec09/Jan10 and took the coast road down to Chumphon on a few occassions (usually ending up in Makro or later in the brand new Carrefour!). It wasn't just the scenery with detours to look at temples, fishing villages and the like, but what struck me was the emptiness. Hardly saw any other cars until got nearer Chumphon. The driving was great!

On the way back on one occasion, I took the road that runs between the coast and Petchkasem Road. It was mile after mile after mile of rubber plantations, palm oil trees (so I was told) and coconut groves. Worth doing

I think of Bangsaphan as being quite prosperous, but taking this road took us through some more basic settlements, to the extent that I wasn't allowed to stop and take photos! Some areas did have a touch of the 'deliverance' about them, especially where the road was so enclosed with the height and spread of the trees, that it was actually a little oppressive :shock:

Great area.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

caller wrote:what struck me was the emptiness. Hardly saw any other cars until got nearer Chumphon. The driving was great!
Absolutely, nice empty roads devoid of SUVs trying to get somewhere 10 minutes before they left, it is a pleasure to ride out in the sticks.
DSC_4340.jpg
DSC_4344.jpg
DSC_4345.jpg
DSC_4349.jpg
DSC_4351.jpg
DSC_4346.jpg
There was a tiny little fishing village on the small tidal islet in the middle of the bay, the beach and roads were pretty badly littered; it amazes me that Thai fishing communities don't have the forethought to look after the environment and ecosystem that is putting food in their bellies.

The whole place had a kind of rustic, timeless feel to it, kids would come running out to should hello as you drove by, adults would stop what they were doing to gawp at the white-skinned macaques cruising past.

Further inland were some mammoth shimp farms, most people assume the prawns they eat actually come from the ocean ... little do they know!

Palm oil farming is also big business down this way, the dappled sunlight shining through rows of Palm trees made it worth stopping for a shot.

More to follow ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

From the photos I really can't see the quality of the water....crystal clear? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

It is clear in some bays but not others, all depends on how sheltered they are, what the wind is like, and whether there is any run-off.
DSC_4354.jpg
DSC_4358.jpg
DSC_4360.jpg
DSC_4362.jpg
DSC_4363.jpg
DSC_4364.jpg
The fishing community at the end of Bang Berd beach prepares to head out for the night. There are miles of empty beaches here and little ramshackle huts right on the beach front - you can bet they're not paying millions of baht for that privilege!

More to follow ...
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Great photos buksida, can I ask what make/model of camera you use?
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nikon D70s
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

dozer wrote:Great photos buksida, can I ask what make/model of camera you use?

The most important ingredient for a good pic is the cameraman.

I have friends with the most super-duper equipment that still manage to cut heads off and to be honest I can do better with my mobile phone (providing I'm sober and have taken off the protective film) :laugh: :laugh:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Are you sure that is not Khao Takiab and the old Hua Hin fishing pier 30 years ago?
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Great pictures of lovely clean beaches and stunning environment shame Hua Hin is ruined in that respect.

Anymore photos Buksida.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.