Pranburi train station community serves up its charms

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
buksida

Pranburi train station community serves up its charms

Post by buksida »

Suppose you are looking for a place with an interesting historical past, where old architecture still stands, the natural environment is unspoiled and where there is local cuisine to enjoy. A setting next to water and a picturesque old market would be an added bonus.

MEMORY LANE: The community around the old Pran Buri railway station, where different activities and plenty of food stalls keep things lively on Saturday afternoons.

There are communities next to railway lines that combine all of these features. Rail travel has been a part of Thai culture for almost 100 years. Thais were taking trains before there were cars. The railway was the pioneering form of long-distance travel, and even though we now have cars and highways, rail travel has not lost its appeal.

In the past, railway stations were travel hubs. They might have been located at the beginning or end of a dirt trail traversed by ox cart, or near a canal on which travellers arrived by boat to take connecting trains. Surrounding the station would be hotels and other accommodation, as well as a shopping area. In some places, the train station was located near government offices, hospitals, police stations, Buddhist temples, shrines or mosques.

Such stations are still around, complete with evidence of their past prosperity _ at Muang Lampang, Ban Phachee in Saraburi and in many other places.

The community near the railway station in Pran Buri is worth a visit. It is not more than 20km from Hua Hin station, and in the past both held equal importance as provincial stations of Prachuap Khiri Khan. Both had all the facilities needed to support a community, although Hua Hin was more developed because it was already a tourist destination.

Then, some 30 years ago, the Pran Buri district office was moved to a new location on Phetkasem Road, a good distance from the original site, and everything was transferred, including the population _ at least those who chose to relocate.

The old district was downgraded to a sub-district, and the community that had lived near the railway station left. Nothing new has been built there since. All that is left is a smattering of old wooden homes and shophouses, and little happens by way of buying or selling, except for basic necessities and a few leftover goods.

The government offices have lost their importance. The hospital now only provides basic care. Wooden residences built for government workers are deserted while the old school building remains. Everything is old, including the plants and trees. But the older these get, the bigger and broader they become; now lush, they provide shade.

The lifestyle is quiet and slow, and the locals feel at peace with themselves. But tranquillity is not all that the area has to offer. It has an atmosphere of special beauty. On one side of the railroad station is a bridge that crosses the Pran Buri River. Both banks are shaded by trees, and the water is smooth and still. The community has a special atmosphere that sets it apart from most others.

Full Story: Bangkok Post
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Re: Pranburi train station community serves up its charms

Post by Lung Per »

buksida wrote:Suppose you are looking for a place with an interesting historical past, where old architecture still stands, the natural environment is unspoiled and where there is local cuisine to enjoy. A setting next to water and a picturesque old market would be an added bonus.

MEMORY LANE: The community around the old Pran Buri railway station, where different activities and plenty of food stalls keep things lively on Saturday afternoons.

There are communities next to railway lines that combine all of these features. Rail travel has been a part of Thai culture for almost 100 years. Thais were taking trains before there were cars. The railway was the pioneering form of long-distance travel, and even though we now have cars and highways, rail travel has not lost its appeal.

In the past, railway stations were travel hubs. They might have been located at the beginning or end of a dirt trail traversed by ox cart, or near a canal on which travellers arrived by boat to take connecting trains. Surrounding the station would be hotels and other accommodation, as well as a shopping area. In some places, the train station was located near government offices, hospitals, police stations, Buddhist temples, shrines or mosques.

Such stations are still around, complete with evidence of their past prosperity _ at Muang Lampang, Ban Phachee in Saraburi and in many other places.

The community near the railway station in Pran Buri is worth a visit. It is not more than 20km from Hua Hin station, and in the past both held equal importance as provincial stations of Prachuap Khiri Khan. Both had all the facilities needed to support a community, although Hua Hin was more developed because it was already a tourist destination.

Then, some 30 years ago, the Pran Buri district office was moved to a new location on Phetkasem Road, a good distance from the original site, and everything was transferred, including the population _ at least those who chose to relocate.

The old district was downgraded to a sub-district, and the community that had lived near the railway station left. Nothing new has been built there since. All that is left is a smattering of old wooden homes and shophouses, and little happens by way of buying or selling, except for basic necessities and a few leftover goods.

The government offices have lost their importance. The hospital now only provides basic care. Wooden residences built for government workers are deserted while the old school building remains. Everything is old, including the plants and trees. But the older these get, the bigger and broader they become; now lush, they provide shade.

The lifestyle is quiet and slow, and the locals feel at peace with themselves. But tranquillity is not all that the area has to offer. It has an atmosphere of special beauty. On one side of the railroad station is a bridge that crosses the Pran Buri River. Both banks are shaded by trees, and the water is smooth and still. The community has a special atmosphere that sets it apart from most others.

Full Story: Bangkok Post
Thanks, geat post. Informative, useful, interesting. :cheers:
A friend is only one click away
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Sorry i missed this Buksi i was in Hua Hin Hospital and then packing and moving to this veritable paradise approximately 300 yards from the Railway station
Yes it is quiet except on saturdays when from about 3 pm until 11 pm it is packed with BKK tourists at the antique market it sell clothes and other stuff as well

One thing that amuses me is the locals insist it is called Pranburi CITY the place on the Petchakasem road is refered to as Pranuri Market

and yes it is worth a visit it also has what must be the lowest bridge around i automatically duck riding my bike

Turn left at Tesco turn right at the market about 100yds before the xing turn left at the T junc and go over the bridge
A Greatfull Guest of Thailand
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Obviously it will be easily accessed by train from HH - but for those without their own transport is the rail station far from the bus route?

Sarge - sounds like you've made a good move. It would be interesting to hear how things go there when you get settled. Good luck! :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

I am now well settled Mags been here one year already
And yes it was the best decision (my new wife made for me) of my life

I have completely repainted/renovated inside and out my ex derelict (very cheap rent) bungalow and also helped my landlord do ditto on his other bungalow directly opposite.and enjoyed every backbreaking muscle creaking minute doing them

I grow veggies go fishing and when my BinL is out here play golf

I have the macro and tescos within 10 mins max from my house, golf about 15, fishing about 5.5 nano seconds.

I bike ride with my wife to Paknampran/khoa khalock 2/3 times a week for breakfast and i can thoroughly recommend some of the resteraunts by the sea in Paknampran. The seafood is definitely very fresh.

Life is good quiet and undemanding just how i like it
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hey Sarge

Do you fish in the river there? A friend of mine bought a house in Khalock, right on the beach, but the idiot has never even spent a single day/night there because he won't travel down from Bangkok unless he can fly. He is really big (tall and wide) so finds road travel very unpleasant, and the trains too slow. Personally, I think he bought it for the wife and kids just so he can have some alone time to play in Bangkok. :shock:

I would give anything to have a place like his, right on the beach. He has actually said we're welcome to live there, but with three kids, it would be impractical in terms of schooling and etc.

BTW, you were the inspiration for me to take up cycling. Nothing too serious yet, but I did do, and complete the Hua-Hin Alleycat race, and at present I'm doing 12km's per day, increasing speed as I can, and will soon increase distance as well. Haven't stopped smoking yet, but have managed to cut back by 50%, so the other 50% will hopefully end soon. Well, it will have to because I want to try the King's Cup or Queen's cup in November

Anyway, just so you know, it was those before and after pictures you posted that motivated me. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Thanks for that Takiap

schools there are THREE schools in this piddly little village alone and one is big and is for gifted kids music instrument playing etc

Paknampran has at least TWO schools that i know of

all of these are served by a veritable menagerie of school buses

As for bike riding there is virtually zero traffic mon to fri, sat,sun with the BKK tourists on certain Thai holidays it increases but not heavy or dangerous. There are numerous different 10-20-30 plus Km loops that can all be mixed and matched to stop boredom or get one fitter.
A side item my weight is now and has been locked at 82 kilos which is just where i feel comfortable

Fishing we (Mrs Sarge fishes as well) often go to the river about 4/5 different locations, in fact today we are going to the army camp fishing with the generals aide de camp the captain my BinL

Since coming here the only time i feel uncomfortable is when i have to do my visa run or see our lawyers in Hua Hin

smoking i am down to 15 fags a day from 80plus before

If you fancy a day out (tesco macro run maybe)PM me and i will send my phone number and we could meet up and i will show you around
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Takiap a quick update

there ar FOUR schools in this piddly village plus a preschool

One school large is described as a creative school

hope that helps
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Wow, it's a really fast growing community! :shock:
This is the way
sargeant
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sargeant »

Yes DM the number of schools around here is quite staggering
The number of kids as well make me wonder especialy when you see how small the village of Pranburi city :shock: actually is
I also failed to mention Pranburi market has a couple of schools as well
We even have a morning open market starts at about 0500hrs untill 0900 hrs every day
As for roadside open markets i have counted at least 6 within a 15 minute bicyle ride from my house
Pranburi market about 2 Kms from my house has a covered market that is larger than Hua Hins as well. Paknam Pran has one also excellent for fresh sea food
Of course one has to take into account the huge Army camp and all its married quarters but the camp boasts its own school and its own PX and golf course
Dolphin bay plus its golf course is just a few minutes away as well
Barrys boats are not far away either
Plenty of Karaoke bars /Cafe bars, NO GIRLY Bars thankfully, lots of restaraunts and near to Tescos is a live music venue
My entertainment consists mainly of a summons to the Army camp when the General has a party great fun and the only time i drink beer maybe a couple of times a month