Fishing nets leading to dolphin deaths

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
buksida

Fishing nets leading to dolphin deaths

Post by buksida »

Another dolphin has washed up dead on the Gulf of Thailand coast.

It is the third marine creature believed to have drowned in fishing nets in the past two days, officials said.

The body of the young Irrawaddy dolphin was found on a beach in front of a resort in Sam Roi Yot district of Prachuap Khiri Khan yesterday morning. The 1.2-metre-long mammal's body bore deep cuts believed to have been caused by a fishing net.

Local fishery official Chaiya Daotoon said the dolphin had probably died on Monday.

He said the bodies of two other rare sea creatures had come ashore in nearby Chumphon in the past two days.

A 2.3-metre-long hump-backed dolphin was found dead on Monday on Thung Wua Laen beach in Pathiu district of Chumphon and a dead green sea turtle with a 58-centimetre-wide shell was found on Sai Ree beach in Muang district of the same province.

Nipawan Busarawit, director of the Chumphon-based Marine and Coastal Resources Research Centre for the central Gulf of Thailand, said it was common for dead marine animals to come ashore in Chumphon and nearby provinces at this time of year. Six dead dolphins and four dead green sea turtles have washed ashore since November.

Nearly 20 dolphins and green sea turtles were found dead last year. Some were killed by fish nets and intestinal infections. Others bore no trace of damage and officials have not established the cause of their death.

Source: Bangkok Post

Thoughts: Fishing boat crew are up there with minivan drivers for the "lets fcuk the whole place up and think only of ourselves and today" award.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Re: Fishing nets leading to dolphin deaths

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote:Thoughts: Fishing boat crew are up there with minivan drivers for the "lets fcuk the whole place up and think only of ourselves and today" award.
Pretty much sums it up Buks IMHO :cuss: Unfortunately that ''award'' has many contestants world-wide.

On the fishing side of things, I assume there are ways and means to fish with (certain) nets and equipment to avoid harming the likes of Dolphins, Turtles, or gaining an ''unwanted'' catch? Is it a case that the wrong equipment is being used (due to cost) or simply that its clueless p***ks who can't give a damn doing the fishing? Are there any regulations in Thailand concerning fishing (regulated or not)?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I remember reading about special fishing nets, and techniques, that are used
to prevent the accidental snaring of dolphins.

I don't imagine there are a lot of these available, or desired, in Thailands
small fishing villages.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

migrant wrote:I remember reading about special fishing nets, and techniques, that are used
to prevent the accidental snaring of dolphins.

I don't imagine there are a lot of these available, or desired, in Thailands
small fishing villages.
I was sure they were available, but as you say migrant - there not going to be wanted due to cost, or needed (I guess) due to lack of legislation or it's enforcement........ China is far worse, but that's of zero relief to those in Thailand!!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.