day trips south of Hua hin?

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

day trips south of Hua hin?

Post by Jimbob »

While on one hand I follow the Thai crisis on-line from off shore, I also am hopeful that I can still visit Hua Hin again in October and so muse about hiring a car and driving south.
I am seeking opinions from the informed of a leisurely drive distance to go after breakfast then arrive at some coastal village, have lunch and wander about, and return to HH.
coping with local traffic seems to be not a problem
Suggestions most welcome
:|
lomuamart

Re: day trips south of Hua hin?

Post by lomuamart »

You've got a number of options within an hour or so south of HH.
Paknampran has some good restaurants and the fishing fleet is there - about 45 mins.
Kao Kalok is close by - again good restaurants overlooking the bay that won't break the bank.
Dolphin Bay and Sam Roi Yod national park are a bit further south - still less than an hour from HH.
Prachuabkirikhan and Ao Manao bay are about an hour south and certainly worth a visit.
Bang Saphang is about two hours south, so doable in a day - just.
Those are just a few ideas. I'm sure others will add to them in due course.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I do this all the time when I'm here and as said above there are plenty of places within easy driving distance.
If you take the back road to Paknampran it's a relaxed drive with little traffic and you can get down to Dolphin bay for lunch without any bother.
That is why I like it here, you have all the amenities and night life in town but it's very easy to get out during the day.
If you in to the other side of Khaokalok on a weekday you can easily find a kilometer of beach for yourself and somewhere for lunch.
Poe

Post by Poe »

Koh Talu.
When Chuck Norris does a push up, he isn't pushing himself up, he is pushing the earth down.
bajm

Post by bajm »

About 10 km's south of Prachuabkirikhan town is King Monkut Science park and Waghor aquarium.
Nice to visit on a rainy day, when you cannot do beach activities.

And approx. 15 km's further south is the beautiful Huay Yang waterfall.

buksida

Post by buksida »

Agree with the above, the aquarium is definitely worth a visit: http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... f=4&t=9556

Prachuab is also a good day out: http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... 36&t=13373

Heading further south is Ban Krut but its probably worth spending the night there: http://www.bankrutinfo.com/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I think the science park is permanently closed? Big concrete barrier in front of the entrance when visited in January and access from the aquariam was blocked and when asked, got told it was closed?
Talk is cheap
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

thank you gentlemen for your suggestions. I hope the aqaurium will be open at the time as my wife is a tropical fish fan...in tanks and on plates.