Khao Tao

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
TypicallyTropical
Professional
Professional

Khao Tao

Post by TypicallyTropical »

I have not been to Thailand for 25+ years, but I have been planning to retire there ever since I visited. The day is finally coming and I recently started looking at condos in HH, but the real estate agent I work with is highly recommending a new project called Heritage in Khao Tao. I know HH, but I have no clue about the area South of it. I did some research online, but I figured there is nothing better than the "local" advice! :bow: :bow: :bow:
TT
Citizen of The World
"I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather....
Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..."
PeteC

Re: Khao Tao

Post by PeteC »

TT, I'm sure you've thought of this but I'll say it anyway. Hua Hin and all of Thailand has changed so much over the past 25 years you won't even recognize it. Really a good idea for you to come over for a new exploratory trip before you set your plans in stone. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
TypicallyTropical
Professional
Professional

prcscct wrote:Really a good idea for you to come over for a new exploratory trip before you set your plans in stone. Pete :cheers:
Thanks Pete, I will be there in October. As to the changes, it doesn't really matter. My wife is Taiwanese and I promised her we will move back to Taiwan after I retired, but after several trips to Taiwan I realized there is no way I could live there full time, so we made a pact and we will split our time between Taiwan and ??????! The choices are really only either the Philippines or Thailand, because even though I'm a "Citizen of The World" there is no :cuss: way I will learn another language at this age! :D :D :D
I remember HH as a quiet village but even though it has like 90,000 people living there now, it's very similar to the town I live in Hawaii.
TT
Citizen of The World
TypicallyTropical
Professional
Professional

PS. There is nothing wrong with the Philippines but my wife doesn't like it there, so the choice is Thailand. (I learned it a long time ago, if she is happy I am happy!) :D :D :D I have lived at many places and different countries in my life, so adopting is not an issue for me. :dance: :dance: :dance:
TT
Citizen of The World
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Khao Tao is a very small town in a beautiful area with nice beaches... but quiet... and far enough from Hua Hin that you would need your own transport (car or truck, too far IMO for a motorbike). You would have to come to Hua Hin for all your shopping, any real restaurant variety, and any night life.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

hhfarang wrote: "You would have to come to Hua Hin for all your shopping, any real restaurant variety, and any night life."

I agree entirely with the latter 2 points, but for general shopping it would easier, quicker and cheaper to do this in Pranburi (Tesco Lotus, Makro and markets).
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

That's true Barry. Pranburi now has a very nice Tesco Mall and Makro is good too. Is that closer than Hua Hin to Khao Tao or about the same distance?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

hhfarang asked: "Is that closer than Hua Hin to Khao Tao or about the same distance?"

Distance-wise, I'd say it's a wee bit further to Pranburi, but you save time because of far less traffic and much easier parking.
The covered fresh food market at Pranburi is also very good value.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Post by charlesh »

Haven't seen the "heritage" - several developments going on though in the area. I reiterate what was said, have a squizz first before putting all your eggs in 1 basket!!! Il Caveat emptor.
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

Rent for 1 - 6 or 12 months to see if and where you like it. There are lots of rentals around and you could get a good flavor for the market before plunging into it. Hua Hin has changed a lot is just the two years I have been here. Take the slow, safe route.
TypicallyTropical
Professional
Professional

Thank you for the advice guys. I'm a businessman and I made my money investing in real estate, both locally and international. Getting in at pre-construction prices is one way to to make a profit. If I go there and retire in three years to rent for another 12 months and then buy a pre-construction condo that would be built/finished in four years than I just wasted 8 years total and I might be at the point of making a date with the gripper! :D :D :D
TT
Citizen of The World
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Hi TT

Have a long read of the property thread. :wink:

:cheers:
TypicallyTropical
Professional
Professional

BaaBaa. wrote:Hi TT, Have a long read of the property thread. :wink:
:cheers:
Thanks, that's all I have been doing the last two days! :cheers:
TT
Citizen of The World
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

TT -

In 2006 we started off in HH and KT as you are thinking, but after a year of problems started looking for greener (and more peaceful) pastures.

We ended up in Cha Am and are delighted we did so. There is moderate growth here as opposed to the madhouse down south, and prices are more reasonable. We only venture into Hua Hin about once a month, mostly to the mall or Villa Market. The rest of the time all our needs are well met in Cha Am.

There is plenty of shopping for nearly everything now that we have just added a Big Kiang to the mix and are about to have our own Outlet Mall. Since we've been here we have been pleased to see several new hotels and restaurants, the wet market downtown remodeled, and in the past few months some new townhouse and housing developments being started.

If you're looking for a relaxed, old fashioned small town environment Cha Am is worth a look.
TypicallyTropical
Professional
Professional

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm somewhat confused now because the real estate agent I have been communicating with said down South is more peaceful, he sure didn't say "madhouse!" I certainly will check out Cha Am. I live in a resort town of about 30,000 people and it suits me just fine!
TT
Citizen of The World