Wonderful Sam Roi Yod

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Wonderful Sam Roi Yod

Post by pitsch »

Just one year ago my house in Sam Roi Yod was finished and my Thai lady and I could move in:

This view I like most:

Where the mountain touches the ground, the Dolphin Bay starts (about 2 km straight line):

This region is nothing for night crawlers, but I enjoy my retirement here and my Thai lady takes very good care of me. There are several hotels and restaurants in Dolphin Bay but no night life at all.

Here a european village is developping, but not as in Hua Hin with 50 houses of the same type, but each owner has about 1 rai and builds his house after his own plans. There are now 2 Germans and 2 Swiss (one of them is me), who have finished their houses. Others will follow.

So I enjoy contact with the neighbours and many parties with Thai people of the surrounding.

I am not in the real estate business, but if anybody is interested to see the place, he is welcome to drink a beer with me and have a look.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Looks great! If you like the quiet life with beautiful surroundings, I think you've found your spot. Hope you have a happy future there. :D :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here come the critics (me), but only in a constructive sense. :D

I would think of putting up some 20 or 40MM steel curved spikes on that huge wall of your's, or some kind of deterrent. Being out there like that with nothing on the wall would make me nervous at night.

Very beautiful place. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

Thx, hhfarang

I think if I would put spikes on the wall, this would attract thieves. But I have installed an alarm system in the house. I hope, the beep-beep will make them run. This region had not yet any burglaries and the local thais would warn us, if there will be any gangs of thieves around. But you never know.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

the thing to do to protect your wall is run lengths of razor wire along it just under the inside edge of the underneath of the cornice on the top. There it cant be seen or brushed against.

however

Anyone climbing over will hook their fingers over the cornice to climb over = cue sliced up fingers.

its hard to break into a house with lacerated fingers and when you are bleeding like a stuck pig

:cheers: :thumb: :cheers:

and man...thats one hell of a view....cool house.
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

BEAUTIFUL
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

The idea with the razor wire is not bad, but it would be a nasty look, if all the ladies, who climb over the wall to have sanuk, would have bloody fingers.

And what would you do with this part of the fence:

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The metal in the front is fine, they won't come over that since it's easier on the side and back. :mrgreen:

Seriously, thieves take the route of least resistance and least observance, which is your side and back area walls by the pool.

I'm not pulling your chain Pitsch, many of us though have been here and done that for a long time concerning progressive steps towards full security. Sooner or later you'll add things step by step, especially if the area grows and more people move in thus attracting the bad guys.

The timing as to how you develop your security presence/footprint is up to you and what you see happening there.

I true statement is that precautions here should be the same, regardless of what part of the country you live in. Most times the people who live in the smaller city houses are better off. Close by neighbors and something going on even late at night deters thieves and they go elsewhere.

Many folks wait until something happens, then go nuts buying things and improving things. Adding security devices at the beginning isn't a sign to thieves that you have a box of gold in the house, it tells them you are 'security aware' and best not to mess with you. They'll go someplace else and easier to break into.

Think about it. I am not in the security device business, just had many experiences in a variety of locations here in Thailand. Good luck. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pitsch,

Thats a beautiful house in a very lovely area that I fell in love with a year ago. Certainly intend to explore more of it next time I'm there.

Caller
Talk is cheap
Mr T
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Mr T »

That view is awesome, nice house also.
How was your whole buying building experience?
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I think, it is much easier to go over the metal front. Just one step on to the wall and one step over the top. And there is a new wall now on the opposite side of the road, so it can not be overlooked so easy. But the house is completely secured with an alarm system and I rely on that.

The building experience was not so bad. The workers with their boss are just living in 100 m distance. The German, who has bought all the land, filled it up and led electricity, water and canalization into it and then sold it to me (for the double price he paid), he supervised the whole building process. The workers dont like him so much, because he is very accurate and tells them how to do it. And all the minor faults were repaired free afterwards. Even now, one year later, when we complained, that there are always cracking noises in the roof, the workers came and put a lot more of steel inside without charging anything.

This might also be traced back to the fact, that all workers come from Issan as my Thai-lady and they have a lot in common. Now in the evening they go to the beach and collect all the maybugs. Then they cook them and have a delicious meal. I tried the maybug-fillet, thats not so bad, but they eat the bugs alltogether. Actually the workers come to us over the wall with help of a small ladder to avoid a longer way.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

pitsch

Im a privacy nut so your setup is my worst nightmare....low walls and the steel see thru fence.....not my style at all.

Walls are high...no see thru bits. Gates are solid and non see thru.

I take "Every Englishman's home is his castle" seriously.

A quick "wall fix" is to plant borders all along the wall perimeter using thorny spiky bushes...there are some Thai bushes with killer thorns about an inch long....perfect. Natural barbed wire.

If you do it inside and outside it makes it a real pain to get over the wall.

If people want to climb over just laugh and tell them to stop being lazy....a bypassing muppet will see them do that and think "ah ha!"....

An alarm box in a prominent place is always a good idea.....deters muppet thieves.

Best defence is make it a bitch to get into in the first place...and thats what walls are for,

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

There are many different tastes. I dont like walls at all, but I had to build one to keep cattle and wild dogs outside. And it is not so secluded as it seems now, because along the 2 long sides there will be german neighbours. At least they will hear the alarm and have a look (I hope so).
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

'because along the 2 long sides there will be german neighbours'

ha ha ha, :shock: :shock:
sandmans big walls sound good right now. :D :D
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
pitsch
Guru
Guru