The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by GLCQuantum »

Zootopia is out in HD now. Have been looking forward to this one. I do like me animations.

https://yts.ag/movie/zootopia-2016

:cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Love it - one for my "not having to think Movie Days".......

Shall keep it for myself and not have my brother's kids around!! :oops:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

"Eddie The Eagle" - a cracker. More suited to Brits as Eddie was the underachieving hero of the Winter Olympics for GB years back. I remember watching him - always last, but always smiling and an incredible character - it was the "Taking Part that Counted!!"

IMHO a credit to us all! :thumb:

Anywho - a great movie to boot!!

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I've been desperately searching for a good horror to watch over the last few months. Something that, sitting alone with the lights off and beer flowing, wants me to stick on an episode of Care Bears just to level things out before I sleep.

I have tried and failed for the most of it but... I'll give a little 'like' or 'hate' on some that I've watched.

One that I was really looking forward to was, 'The Witch'. Got good reviews and looked really creepy. As soon as it started, I realised that the main character was 'Finchy' (The Office fans will understand this) so I simply couldn't agree with the character he was trying to portray. Bad acting, bad accent and a bad film.

A little muddied gem in the dark was 'It Follows'. Not great but... acceptable horror. A young girl gets drugged on a one night stand and comes to her senses with some horrific news. Worthy of a trailer...

I belatedly watched both of the 'Sinister' movies. Ethan Hawke carries the first one. The second... alright, I suppose.

The film opens with Super 8 footage depicting a family of four standing beneath a tree with grain-sacks over their heads and rope-nooses around their necks. An unseen figure pulls at a rope attached to a part-sawn through branch (of the tree) acting as a counterweight, causing their deaths by hanging.

Recently, one of my little sisters had been raving about some 'scary' movie called, 'The Boy'. The story is about a deluded couple that take care of a doll as if it's a real child. Yet the real child is still in the house (spoiler alert... shit - too late). Pile of wank stained tissue.

After such shite, 'The Hallows' got me back on track. Low budget horror set in Irish woodlands. I think we can all agree that there's nothing scarier than the Irish. A good film this.

And finally (I didn't include a load of complete utter crap horrors I tried... just included a few shite ones) I actually hit lucky with one last night.

"Deliver us from Evil" was a really good movie. 2 years old this one. Part cop movie, part drama, part horror. A really good hour or two spent on this one... FINALLY.

If anyone bumps into a good horror - please post.

Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

GLCQuantum wrote:And finally (I didn't include a load of complete utter crap horrors I tried... just included a few shite ones) I actually hit lucky with one last night.

"Deliver us from Evil" was a really good movie. 2 years old this one. Part cop movie, part drama, part horror. A really good hour or two spent on this one... FINALLY.
Eric Bana.... must be goood...
GN.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Dad's Army - the Movie available on:
http://viooz.ac/movies/30152-dads-army-2016.html
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Mr. Right

Listed as a coming attraction at MV Village.

Offbeat, loopy, ridiculous, fast paced fun - for those who know fun can include a hit man, a high body count and a relationship between 2 who should be on meds. She (Anna Kendrick) is a manic party animal who wants to DO SOMETHING, he (Sam Rockwell) is a hit man with a difference. They meet, he tells the truth about himself but she hears it has him just clowning around in conversation.

A sort of film where the tone strikes you as just right or you turn it off after 20 minutes. It works because Anna lights up the screen in everything she's done, the chemistry between the leads, the WTF interludes when all those present should be trying to put bullets in each others brains, and the satisfying count of watching people have bullets put in their brains.

Some tone and chemistry:

Don't watch the trailer unless you want the entire plot and most of the unexpected bits.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Eddie the Eagle, 10 Cloverfield Lane and London Has Fallen are all up on yts now (the latter got terrible reviews but I like Gerard Butler so I'll probably give it a whirl).

On Pharvey's recommendation I shall be enjoying Eddie the Eagle tonight.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

GLCQuantum wrote:On Pharvey's recommendation I shall be enjoying Eddie the Eagle tonight.
Well, hope I've not "upped" it too much! I thoroughly enjoyed it though - light hearted fun and has been mentioned, based on a true story.

As for "London Has Fallen", I'll also take a look despite the reviews.

A couple of others I've downloaded - not yet watched but look interesting and have pretty good reviews: -

"Grimsby" or "The Grimsby Brothers" with Sacha Baron Cohen.
"National Lampoon: Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead" - documentary rather than movie.
"Hail Caesar!" - Josh Brolin, George Clooney

Also, finally managed to download "Zootopia", so will be having a look at that in the next couple of days!! :thumb:

All above available on yts.ag

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Eddie the Eagle is simply brilliant! A better 'feel good' movie, find you will not (for a while anyhow). A must-see for any Brit. The facial expressions during that last jump had me in stitches.

Pharvey, just a heads up...

When watching 'Grimsby' don't do it while you are eating as it really pushes the boundaries of gross in some parts.

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

So I had a really successful movie day yesterday. After watching the eagle I put on '10 Cloverfield Lane'. Not expecting a great deal, I was pleasantly surprised. With a stellar performance from John Goodman, this movie was a real humdinger I thought.

A girl wakes up after a car crash to find herself locked up in an underground bunker. Apparently the outside world has since gone to shit from a major event and the host (John Goodman) who prepared for such a doomsday scenario is now taking care of things below deck.

A really good sci-fi/thriller this. Well worth a watch.

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

An Adventure In Space And Time

If you can't abide Doctor Who, you might not enjoy this. It's a dramatisation of the early years of the show, starts off focussing on the young producer and director and ends rather sadly with the physical and mental deterioration of William Hartnell, the first Doctor. It was made in 2013 to commemorate 50 years of Dr Who, but it slipped under my personal radar. Perhaps a relatively narrow appeal, but I thoroughly enjoyed this.

This is the way
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Marvellous

The remarkable (IMO) story of Neil Baldwin; clown, Stoke City kitman, Keele University icon and an astonishing human being.

This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:An Adventure In Space And Time

If you can't abide Doctor Who, you might not enjoy this. It's a dramatisation of the early years of the show, starts off focussing on the young producer and director and ends rather sadly with the physical and mental deterioration of William Hartnell, the first Doctor. It was made in 2013 to commemorate 50 years of Dr Who, but it slipped under my personal radar. Perhaps a relatively narrow appeal, but I thoroughly enjoyed this.
Thanks DM, I enjoyed it whilst waiting for Mrs BB at the hospital this morning.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18