The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

The Recommended Movies Thread

Post by Super Joe »

Just watched two cracking DVD's off the boys who go round the bars.

88 Minutes - Al Pacino
Street Kings - Keanu Reeves and Forest Wittaker.

Both well worth watching.
Pacino's 68 years old and looks about 48 max. Got a new movie coming out soon starring alongside DeNiro, get in.

SJ
MURF

Post by MURF »

Is there anywhere here where we can swop dvd's (Noel Edmunds)
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

You could set up a drop box in your place.
I'll drop these two off and pick up a couple. If there's nothing there I fancy I'll just wait 22 seconds for one of the DVD salesboys to come along :D

SJ
MURF

Post by MURF »

Good idea,it seems quicker to get a dvd boy then a beer here sometimes
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just seen a few of these recent ones ...

The Happening : Strange movie where the plants start causing people to kill themselves, environmentalists will love it!

21 : Based on a true story about some MIT students that learn the Black Jack system to beat Vegas. Tried it myself but think I'll stick to my card tricks, they impress bar-girls anyway!

Kung Fu Panda : Great entertainment and will keep the kids quiet for an hour and a half!

Indiana Jones : Vastly over-rated tripe, give it a miss.

No Country For Old Men : A gripping movie that demands a bit of concentration so don't watch it when the kids are up!

Forbidden Kingdom : I like Kung Fu films so this was right up my alley.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Buksida: Did you buy No County for Old Men in Hua Hin?

I'm sort of getting it via other means at the moment and it comes up with a German title, which translated means the same (I think). Got no kids to put to bed, so I really want to see this film.

We've been watching Red Dwarf (the early stuff) recently. I'd forgotten how crazily wonderful it was.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Hi VS,
I got No County for Old Men here off the boys who come in the bars. To be honest I thought it was cr@p, but reading the sleeve would normally be right up my street.
We just leave our DVD's in the cupboard when watched or give them to mates to watch, can't watch anything twice. I'll drop it off in town for you if you like, if there's any particular bar/restaurant/estate agent or the like you go often that knows you ?
No County for Old Men in Hua Hin?
There's about 3 or 4 jokes in that line, but I won't go there :D

Cheers,
SJ
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

MURF wrote:....Is there anywhere here where we can swop dvd's........
Do it yourself.

50 BHT for used DVD or 20BHT for exchange subject to exchange DVD being saleable.

That's how it works on the Islands.

Every little helps in these lean times.

Now, Noel Edmund, was that the Blackadder Christmas show?
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
buksida

Post by buksida »

Vital Spark wrote:Buksida: Did you buy No County for Old Men in Hua Hin?
Er no ... everything I get comes from torrents.

What would be good is a file sharing system or private P2P network were we can download and upload stuff from each other on request.

:idea:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

buksida wrote:
Er no ... everything I get comes from torrents.

What would be good is a file sharing system or private P2P network were we can download and upload stuff from each other on request.

:idea:
This crossed my mind when we were thinking of some exchange method before.

From what I can make out we can use the existing infrastructure along with the public trackers and make the torrents private. I.e the torrent file has to be downloaded from a member which would be one of us who has the movie or any thing else to share. Azeurus, uTorrent and BitComet all support private torrent creation.

Files can be password protected but that is a dirty way of doing it.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Buksida wrote:
Er no ... everything I get comes from torrents
How does it work exactly ? You download a movie via a Torrent, free presumably, then connect PC to TV and watch through TV ?
Do you have to pay to subscribe to a Torrent or are there free ones, it's not that I'm being tight but I have no credit card to pay online.

Cheers,

SJ
buksida

Post by buksida »

Super Joe wrote: How does it work exactly ? You download a movie via a Torrent, free presumably, then connect PC to TV and watch through TV ?
Do you have to pay to subscribe to a Torrent or are there free ones, it's not that I'm being tight but I have no credit card to pay online.

Cheers,

SJ
have a read of these:

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/u- ... t7918.html

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/wh ... t8869.html

You need a decent connection as some files are over a gig. Yes, PC is connected to the TV, some torrents are free some are subscription. I don't have a cc so can only go for the free stuff!
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Thanks

SJ
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Super Joe wrote:How does it work exactly ?
Here's my method and I've tried many.

download uTorrent from here
http://www.utorrent.com/download.php
The beta version is OK

The default parameters should be OK but is is worth going into preferences and changing the torrent and download directories so you can find them when you want.

Set your Mozilla download directory to the same directory as the torrent directory in uTorrent.

Fire up google and type "show/film name torrent" and hit search. You will probably get pages of sites returned.

Select 1 from the list. usually look for mininova which has proved to be overall the most reliable. Some of the URLs are gateway sites into other sites. There are some sites that you should give a miss to. These are anything with the word full in it except fulldls, anything with warez in it and recently torrentreactor which has been accused of spreading spyware.

There is loads more to learn but that will get you started.

With TT&T you may need to do some smoke screening and performance enhancements.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

I know how bored I get with TV .... Im a film buff so spend most nights with a beer and a classic.

If y cant be bothered rigging y PC to your TV then just burn stuff onto dvd format....loads of simple software for that about.

DVDs: over 400 - wide range including classics (Zulu, Lawrence of Arabia, Spartacus), but mostly crime, horror, action....a fair few asian samurai/kung-fu/wu jia epics..Blackadder complete, Rome series 1 & 2 complete...etc..mix of regions so you will need a multi region dvd player.

AVI hard drive films - again several hundred including a lot of asian cinema, classic Jidai samurai films, Kurosawa, horror, action, comedy and classics like the 1930s Universal horror films....Frankenstein, the Mummy etc. Complete Trailer Park Boys and partial South Park.

What I will do is work on making a list of these and posting it somewhere here (on Foo?).

Then if you want a copy of a hard drive film Ill drop it onto a disk for you (for a beer)

If y want a DVD to borrow then it has to come back as it went - working. Again a beer....pm me and see if I have the film y want.

If someone sets up a ftp site or other storage area Id be happy to upload my hard drive films...

Otherwise see you at the book swap.

:cheers:

2 coming out soon to watch:

Hellboy 2 - out soon
Death Race - remake of Death Race 2000 (sort of) - looks promising

One definitely to catch:

The Machine Girl - live action Japanese manga style splatter fest with shcoolgirl hero whose left arm is a minigun, ninjas, zombies and a bra of death! Makes Tarantino look like Disney.
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."