The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by GLCQuantum »

Watched, 'The Water Diviner' yesterday and thought it was excellent. I'm a big fan of Russel Crowe so I may be a bit biased. It's based on a true story (closely or 'loosely' I've no idea)

During World War I , one man loses all three of his sons on the same day. Their bodies were never found, so he goes on a mission across Europe to try and find the remains so his boys can be buried at home.

HD Download here: https://yts.to/movie/the-water-diviner-2014
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Early days I know, but if anyone finds a decent copy of "Tomorrowland", pretty please let me know.. :thumb:

Have searched all the usual suspects, but nothing decent as of yet.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Got to see a couple of the New'ish movies to hit the torrent sites whilst travelling recently: -

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - very disappointed to be perfectly honest. I was expecting far better from Guy Richie. The reviews however seem to be positive, so I guess I'm in the minority on this one!! :oops:

The Martian - read the book first based on a recommendation somewhere on the Forum and thoroughly enjoyed it.... the film didn't disappoint.

"During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive."

I think for me, the big thing was that all was plausible whereas many Sci-Fi movies/programmes these days tend not to be. Very enjoyable and for once the critics seem to agree with me!! :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Excellent copies of Spectre now on www.yts.ag

:cheers: :cheers:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

60 complete film noir movies on YouTube. Copyrights have expired, so they're not in danger of being taken down. http://www.openculture.com/free_film_noir_movies
buksida

Post by buksida »

The Revenant
"A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820s fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team."

Absolutely gripping stuff, all 2.36 hours of it - one of the best films I've seen in a long time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1663202/

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned The Martian but this is also a superb film, a solid keeper for me.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Was the Revenant a download buks? If so seems very early days for a decent copy.

And yes, the Martian was excellent.. :thumb:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

pharvey wrote:Was the Revenant a download buks? If so seems very early days for a decent copy.

I downloaded a perfect copy on KAT :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, it was a DVD Screener off KAT.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

pharvey wrote:Was the Revenant a download buks? If so seems very early days for a decent copy.

Someone with an excellent supply is posting screeners on KAT, but they're small. Check the dimensions, otherwise 720x288 could be an unpleasant surprise.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Under Milk Wood

Post by Vital Spark »

BBC 2014 version of 'Under Milk Wood'. Not exactly a movie, but a brilliant production of Dylan Thomas' classic play. I had forgotten how funny it was. A superb way to while away 59 minutes.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

In Order of Disappearance - 2014

Nils is the very definition of both dependable and unemotional. His son dies of a heroin overdose. The police barely pay any attention. Nils investigates. After finding his son crossed a lowest level drug dealer, Nils 'convinces' the dealer to tell him who he works for. Nils works his way up the hierarchy, instigating a war between the local drug lord and his Serbian suppliers because they both think each other is killing their men.

Not your standard revenge movie. There is enough gruesomeness to please a Tarentino fan. But it also has what one reviewer called "a sharp sense of pitch-black Scandinavian humour".

Stars Stellan Skarsgard. You'll recognize him from Good Will Hunting, Ronin, multiple Pirates of the Caribbeans, Avengers and Thors.

In Swedish with subtitles.

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

If you're old and brain dead like me this site may help you find that movie...

"Forget the name of a movie? Just describe it and this scary-accurate site will find it"

https://bgr.com/2016/03/18/find-movie-f ... scription/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Movies on DVD

Post by Henry 14th »

Tyrannasour 2011

Directed by Paddy Considine, a moving insight into the life if a foul mouthed alcoholic who shows a more civil side when he meets a charity shop worker.

Set in Leeds, UK (I beleive), very true to life of council estate living.

Fantastic acting and a great story line. Reminds me of a Shane Meadows (Dead mans shoes) type of movie. A must see.

'This is England' - mini series

Off shoot of the movie titled 'This is England', 4 mini series follow the original cast over 4 decades.

Another insight into working class life in Northern England. Again, the acting is so very convincing and the story line gripping.

Another must see.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just found a high quality blue ray rip of The Force Awakens on KAT, now I need a bigger TV!