The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by pharvey »

GLCQuantum wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but watched a great little dark comedy recently called, 'The Mule'. .
Nice to see you back blue, and thanks for the heads up - had not heard a dicky bird about this one, but looks worth a watch...... now downloading! :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^^ Oh yeah, I'll have some decent dreams tonight.........
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Breakfast on Pluto 2005

A comedy/drama set in Ireland and London. Stars Cillian Murphy (Peaky Blinders star player) and features Liam Neeson.

In the 1970s, a young trans woman, Patrick "Kitten" Braden, comes of age by leaving her Irish town for London, in part to look for her mother and in part because her gender identity is beyond the town's understanding.

Enjoyed it as light and humerous :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

pharvey wrote:^^ Oh yeah, I'll have some decent dreams tonight.........
I should mention that it can be a little bit disgusting in parts... :wink:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Hard Eight - 1996

Paul Thomas Anderson's (PTA) first film. He also wrote and directed Inherent Vice, There Will be Blood and Boogie Nights. In it's original release Hard Eight died at the box office because the producer didn't understand it and had it reedited by an editor who didn't understand it. PTA later bought the film. It's now available only in the directors cut.

The film is a character study, surrounded by enough plot to give the characters something to do. The youtube clip explains the plot.

Why watch it? PTA is among the best at writing for a specific actor, then directing the movie to fit what they've brought to the character. The Academy agrees. He's made 7 feature films, received 4 Oscar nominations for screenwriting while his actors received 7 nominations.

Why watch it? The 4 main characters are fascinating, but not likeable. Four years before The Sopranos littered it's cast with anti-heros, scum and their families, starting a trend that continues in US cable TV dramas, PTA beat them to it.

Why watch it? Three breakout performances. See Samuel L. Jackson's raw and hot version of his trademark cocksure bad-ass who is both ready and able to kill every muthurforker in the room in his last film before Pulp Fiction. (some will protest that Pulp Fiction was Jackson's breakout role. To the public sure. To Quentin Tarentino, it was the sum of Jackson's preceding work that convinced him Jackson was ready for a lead role.) Philip Baker Hall plays Stanley, the lead. He worked steadily as a supporting actor. After Hard Eight, when the script called for a supporting actor to hold his own or dominate the leading man, Hall was the best choice. Hard Eight was Gweneth Paltrow's last film before her first major motion picture, Se7en. Finally, PTA gave a young Phillip Seymour Hoffman room to move, play and spew in a long scene where he has 90% of the dialog.

Siskel and Ebert's review:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Pride (2014)

Based on a true story, the film depicts a group of lesbian and gay activists who raised money to help families affected by the British miners' strike in 1984, at the outset of what would become the Lesbians and Gays Support the Miners campaign.[7] The National Union of Mineworkers was reluctant to accept the group's support due to the union's public relations' worries about being openly associated with a gay group, so the activists instead decided to take their donations directly to Onllwyn, a small mining village in Wales, resulting in an alliance between the two communities. The alliance was unlike any seen before but was successful.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Well while I'm waiting for the next episodes of 'The Americans' and 'Better call Saul' I dug into my archives and retrieved a good old Al Pacino COMEDY movie.......'S1mone' 2002. I'd saved it and never watched it

Pleasantly surprised with a pretty simple and idiotic plot but as usual carried by a star performance by AP

:cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

May not be the 100% appropriate thread to post this, but anyway here goes. A new standard for special effects in movies???? Well I'm not going to downlad or buy this movie! 555! :guns: :laugh:

YNWA
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Not on DVD yet, but I don't see a reason to start a new thread.

Seen Mad Max? Then, for amusement, go read a variety of opinion pieces and comment threads on it. This film is like a Rorschach / Inkblot test in that what people see is mostly about them and less about the movie. To say the resulting opinions, and defense thereof, are strong is an understatement.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Kung Fury 2015

A Sci-Fi short (30 min) film in the style of 80s American cop movies. Take all the implausibility of those films, crank it up to 11, add deadpan physical humor and throw in some dinosaurs (Laser Raptors) and a Norse God (Thor). Mix well, release on YouTube.

Between desktop computers and Kickstarter, anybody with a good idea and some talent can make a movie. David Sandberg, a Swedish maker of TV commercials and music videos, raised more than he needed for a short so he made one hellofa short. Received 14.5 million views in it's first 2 weeks on YouTube. Accepted into the Director's Fortnight at Cannes, a sub festival for audacious and singular films. Best reviewer quote I've found: "a 31-minute masterpiece that feels like it fell right out of 1985 and hit just about every awesome b-movie genre on the way down."

Trailer:

Movie

Don't bother looking for a better better quality copy. It's battered and low resolution VHS tape look is intentional.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Stylish, all-action send-up of Bond-style spy movies (with a nod to Harry Palmer - remember him?), with an excellent cast including Colin Firth, Samuel L Jackson and Michael Caine. Some genuine laugh-out-loud moments, particularly near the end, and loads of thrills and spills. Great fun.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ :agree: Had been waiting quite some time for a decent copy of this to watch. Certainly not disappointed, thoroughly enjoyable movie throughout! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Stoker - 2013

First English language film by the Korean master Park Chan Wook (Old Boy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance). Not familiar with his work? All but one of his films are dark, violent, tragedies interwoven with sexuality and sprinkled with a bit of black humor. Critics have noted the tragedies often have Shakespearean aspects, Park says The Bard was a big influence.

Stoker is a mix of horror, psychological thriller and family drama. Creepy throughout, aided by unusual choices in cinematography and sound design. Released first in the US and UK, which is perhaps why Park paid homage to Alfred Hitchcock with his directorial choices. The story unfolds and the suspense builds slowly, just as a Hitchcock film. I was getting bored after 20 minutes but hung in there because, after having seen 4 Park Chan Wook films, I knew the wait would be rewarded. It was. Hell yes, it was.

Stars Mia Wasikowska, Nichole Kidman, Matthew Goode.

No link to a trailer because why spoil the suspense?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Watched a few good movies recently but not sure if they've been mentioned.

First up we have an excellent true story of a hell of a battle one man went through in 'Unbroken'. During the war not only did one man crash his plane ending up in a boat and spend many a day drifting at sea, he then became a prisoner of war in a horrible Japanese prison.

Next we have a artificial intelligence movie that's a little different from others in 'Ex Machina.'

And then a bit of comedy with movies "Paul Blart Mall Cop 2'" and "Hot Tub Time Machine 2". I don't have time, and am unable to, write cool reviews of these like our Sandman (may he rest in.... :wink: ) so I'll just throw the trailers at you.

Downloads below...

https://yts.to/movie/unbroken-2014

https://yts.to/movie/ex-machina-2015

https://yts.to/movie/paul-blart-mall-cop-2-2015

https://yts.to/movie/hot-tub-time-machine-2-2015
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I don't know if they are on DVD there or not but I watched a couple of movies lately that you can probably download from your favorite site. I have Netflix now so I'm watching a lot of independent and "under the radar films" that I wouldn't normally even know about. Two recent releases that are worthwhile imho are:

"These Final Hours", an Australian film about a large meteor strike resulting in the end of the world and about how some folks in Perth awaiting the inevitable chose to spend their last days/hours. Put the kids to bed, this has scenes that are for adults only.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2268458/

"The Barber", about a serial killer who evaded justice only to be tracked down years later by the son of the cop originally on the case.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2194826/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?