The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by dtaai-maai »

The World's End

Silly sci-fi. Five 40ish blokes relive an attempted pub crawl in their hometown only to discover that the place has been taken over by aliens.
It's a comedy with a few underlying themes: the homogenisation of British pubs, the sadness of a bloke whose greatest moments were his irresponsible youth, the development of and reliance on modern technology, etc.
It's a low budget British film that received wide acclaim from the critics, but I'm still trying to work out if I enjoyed it...
This is the way
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

dtaai-maai wrote:The World's End

Silly sci-fi. Five 40ish blokes relive an attempted pub crawl in their hometown only to discover that the place has been taken over by aliens.
It's a comedy with a few underlying themes: the homogenisation of British pubs, the sadness of a bloke whose greatest moments were his irresponsible youth, the development of and reliance on modern technology, etc.
It's a low budget British film that received wide acclaim from the critics, but I'm still trying to work out if I enjoyed it...
As was the case when Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Write teamed up in the mid '00s, The World's end works on several levels. Seeing past the surface in such films usually makes them more enjoyable. Sandman got it: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=9509&start=1410#p316294
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

You don't know me or anything about me, Homer, so I'll let the misplaced condescension pass unmolested. Sandman got it and enjoyed it. I got it and am not sure if I enjoyed it or not.
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Homer wrote:Headhunters

One of the best thrillers I've seen in years. A Norwegian film from 2012. Nothing but quotes I agree with from reviewers this time, because if they can't persuade you to see a subtitled movie, I certainly can't.

- Headhunters is a dark adult entertainment, a wild and bloody adrenaline rush of a movie that deals in gleeful grotesqueness and over-the-top implausibilities.

- The film has some fairly grisly violence, but also considerable humor and the sort of intricate, thought-through storytelling you'd expect from Hitchcock or the Coen brothers.

- Headhunters is admirably swift in style, and dangerously silly in what it begs us to swallow, but at its heart is a consummate depiction of a permanent type - the proud and prickly male, thrown back on his desperate wits.

- A Scandinavian shade of dark carefully planned thriller, with a number of ever escalating and unimaginable twists and turns, keeps audiences on the edge of their seats. Unless you are averse to films with subtitles, watch it before you are faced with the dilemma of choosing the unavoidable glossy Hollywood remake.
Have to agree. A great movie with a few nice twists and a wonderful punchline at the beginning and the end .........'and it begins with R' .

Watched a very crisp version in English/American :cheers: :thumb:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: I got it and am not sure if I enjoyed it or not.
With you on that DM. I've thoroughly enjoyed just about every movie Simon Pegg and/or Nick Frost have been involved in, but have to admit to being disappointed in this - can't say I didn't enjoy it as such, but...........
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Crisp clean copies of "The Interview" already out and about on the torrent sites......
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

The Theory of Everything 2014

A great movie if you are into Stephen Hawking, Physics and Cosmology

A write up from IMDb

In the 1960s, Cambridge University student and future physicist Stephen Hawking (Eddie Redmayne) falls in love with fellow collegian Jane Wilde (Felicity Jones). At 21, Hawking learns that he has motor neuron disease. Despite this -- and with Jane at his side -- he begins an ambitious study of time, of which he has very little left, according to his doctor. He and Jane defy terrible odds and break new ground in the fields of medicine and science, achieving more than either could hope to imagine.

I found it fascinating, moving and inspirational. You need an open mind IMO to appreciate the insignificance of being a human being in this gigantic galactic theatre is what really came across to me
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

"The Imitation Game" - truly excellent movie and certainly one of the best I've seen. Based on the true story of the breaking of the Enigma Code during WWII, with Benedict Cumberbatch heading a strong cast, superb in the lead role of Alan Turing.

Excellent copies of the "screener" out and about on Kickass.

:cheers: :cheers:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Predestination

If you're looking for time travel fun and excitement, the long middle will be too slow and talky for you. The time travel parts, though fresh, trippy and weird, are easy to follow, so it's not a film for those who want to unravel riddles and mysteries as the film unfolds. Time travel sequences bookend the long, dramatic second act where John explains his life story to a Temporal Agent, both in dialog and flashbacks. Between the story and the actor's performance, I found it captivating.

The film starts with a voice over spoken by the Temporal Agent: What if I could put him in front of you. The man that ruined your life. If I could guarantee that you'd get away with it - would you kill him?. Both John and the viewer are invited to wrestle with the question during the film's third act.

Based on a short story by Robert A. Heinlein, a sci-fi master. Starts Ethan Hawke as the Temporal Agent. It's an Aussie production, so the rest of the cast are probably nobodies to other audiences. If the actor who played John was a nobody before this film, I can't imagine that term still applies.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Have just downloaded and watched a very crisp copy of "Interstellar".. :thumb:

For once, a movie I've been looking forward to which wasn't a complete let down - in fact I thoroughly enjoyed it.

These days I tend to switch off with the majority of movies, but on this occasion was pretty well enthralled throughout.... Come on, what's there not to love? Space travel, Worm Holes, Black Holes, Time Travel, Plot Twists........ and Michael Cain for Christ's sake!! Although admittedly not a big part :cry:

"In Earth's future, a global crop blight and second Dust Bowl are slowly rendering the planet uninhabitable. Professor Brand (Michael Caine), a brilliant NASA physicist, is working on plans to save mankind by transporting Earth's population to a new home via a wormhole."

Trust me - well worth the watch..

:cheers: :cheers:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

^^ Agree, it's brilliant. Good plot, well acted and gripping, touching at times and humbling for us mere earthlings.

IMO it will be a big hit
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

GONE GIRL 2014

Wow, excellent plot and intriguing twists through out. Will I ever trust a woman again?

The end leaves you disappointed and thinking deep about manipulation and entrapment
Last edited by richard on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote:Have just downloaded and watched a very crisp copy of "Interstellar".. :thumb:

Trust me - well worth the watch..
:agree:
This is the way
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but watched a great little dark comedy recently called, 'The Mule'. .

Apparently based on a true story, this movie follows the plight of a simpleton who ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time. Best newish comedy I've watched since, 'We're the Millers'.

HD copy here. Click download torrent and away you go.

https://yts.re/movie/The_Mule_2014_1080p

:cheers:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Why Don't You Play in Hell

A long slow setup builds, with flashes of the goodies to come, mixed with out-of-nowhere WTF moments, sprinkled with central nervous system jolts from pure cinema visual brilliance. Then the director cranks it up to ramming speed - and it goes on and on as he keeps upping the intensity.

Not recommended, unless you're already searching for the film.

Need a central nervous jolt?