Music - what are people listening to now?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Re: Music - what are people listening to now?

Post by Jimbob »

picked up 'the Civil Wars' Cd from the local council library. They labelled it 'folk' but the band have a broader appeal than that.

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Turkish music
Mahler
Mary Stallings
Laurie Baker
Ravi Shankar
Bernie McGann
Sonny Rollins
Karlheinz Stockhausen
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A very talented little local girl. :D Pete :cheers:

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/11/18/1 ... d-vicinity

"More than just a beautiful voice that mixes nicely with her guitar strumming, Jasmin has the mountains at her back.

Indeed mountain vistas have proved part of the appeal of Patchalaware “Jasmin” Damrongtamprasroet, a 13-year-old singer whose cultivated rapt audiences by featuring the heritage of the Thailand-Myanmar border district of Kanchanaburi she calls home.

"I was so excited and also very happy that people recognised me,” Jasmin told BBC. “People ask to take pictures with me.”

The daughter of ethnic Karen migrants, Jasmin has become an online sensation for her covers which include Passenger's “Let Her Go,” Maroon 5’s “Payphone” and “Ther” by Cocktail which scored over a million views.

Her mother Ni Mar reportedly left Myanmar in 1989 to seek a better life across the border. There she met Soe Htut, another ethnic Karen who’d fled to Thailand. They settled and started a family in Sangkhlaburi district, where Jasmin was born a Thai citizen.

Jasmin wants to continue her education in Bangkok and fulfill her dream to be a successful singer.

"I want to study in Bangkok, where I will have better chance to learn at a music school,” Jasmin said. “I want to be a singer." "

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Christopher Lee has released a heavy metal Christmas single aged 92.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Darius Rucker

dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Listening to Bassically by Tei Shi really good, but needs mammoth speakers to do it justice.

Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I went to see BabyMetal in london last month and they were utterly fantastic!!! They are the latest buzz word in Metal combined with J pop.

I tried to post a youtoob link but couldn't get it to work in preview :(

Fixed :wink:
www.35mmview.com
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Don't know where it came from - it came in from the left, the Jethro Tull song "Living in The past" got into my head in nov 2014, so I bought 8 albums with Tull off amazon.

This Was, Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung, Songs from The Wood, etc.

I thorroughtly enjoyed the listening experience so in time for Christmas I bought another 7 albums, amongst them a collection of concert takes from 1992, "A little light music". Absolutely brilliant blues rock with harmonica and a faster instrumental only - version of Living in the Past.

I bought another 4 albums last Saturday.

So, there.

That's what I listen to.

I had a similar kick a few years ago when a got this craving to listen to John Hiseman's Coloseum from 1971 - 73.
I found a brilliant Concert DVD from (I think) Munich in 1994. Played it regularly over summer with wife and son in Thailand so dolby surround on full blast whilst making Chili con Carne in the Kitchen.

But as I said, Jethro Tull these days with head phones, whilst surfing this and other sites.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac - brilliant!

Talk is cheap
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Frank La Rue wrote:Don't know where it came from - it came in from the left, the Jethro Tull song "Living in The past" got into my head in nov 2014, so I bought 8 albums with Tull off amazon.

I thorroughtly enjoyed the listening experience so in time for Christmas I bought another 7 albums, amongst them a collection of concert takes from 1992, "A little light music". Absolutely brilliant blues rock with harmonica and a faster instrumental only - version of Living in the Past.

So, there.

That's what I listen to.

I had a similar kick a few years ago when a got this craving to listen to John Hiseman's Coloseum from 1971 - 73.
I found a brilliant Concert DVD from (I think) Munich in 1994. Played it regularly over summer with wife and son in Thailand so dolby surround on full blast whilst making Chili con Carne in the Kitchen.

But as I said, Jethro Tull these days with head phones, whilst surfing this and other sites.

WOW.
.......Jeez that woke up some redundant brain cells. Used to go watch Jethro Tull gig (on one foot) in the pub round the corner from where I lived in Portobello road. AND...Colosseum were the in thing along with King Crimson........Happy hippy days in the late sixties/early seventies

Thanks for jogging the memory bank FLR
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

A new release for us older rockers (you youngsters may enjoy it too!). Can't wait to get my hands on it!

http://www.mail.com/int/entertainment/m ... ge-hero1-6
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

richard wrote:
Frank La Rue wrote:Don't know where it came from - it came in from the left, the Jethro Tull song "Living in The past" got into my head in nov 2014, so I bought 8 albums with Tull off amazon.

So, there.

That's what I listen to.

WOW.
.......Jeez that woke up some redundant brain cells. Used to go watch Jethro Tull gig (on one foot) in the pub round the corner from where I lived in Portobello road. AND...Colosseum were the in thing along with King Crimson........Happy hippy days in the late sixties/early seventies

Memories of Soft Machine, Family and Cream coming back. Also remembering the pleasure of holding the original vinyl albums in their covers. Oh and Ten Years After and The Stones free Hyde Park Concert. Memories,memories .
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

dundrillin wrote:
richard wrote:

So, there.

That's what I listen to.

WOW.

Memories of Soft Machine, Family and Cream coming back. Also remembering the pleasure of holding the original vinyl albums in their covers. Oh and Ten Years After and The Stones free Hyde Park Concert. Memories,memories .

As for Ten Years After I found a DVD last year called"Live At the Marquee" - Alvin Lee is awesome.
They were big at Isle Of Wight - and it's great to have "Going Home By Helicopter" on full blast for listening pleasure when wifey and son are in Thailand

In 1972 I had Soft Machine on vinyl, it got overtaken by "Fragile" with Yes I'm afraid.

However, I did buy "Light As feather" with Chick Corea last year and I was abslolutely extatic when I bought a concert DVD with Stevie Wonder at the Hua Hin night market, only to discover that he and his band performed "Spain" (from Chick Corea's album "Light As A Feather") - brilliant guitar playing and arrangement overall!

Side NOTE: It is not verified whether Chick Corea holds a Korean passport. However, as it is documentably irrelvant for his musical abilities , I'll let that pass.
:cheers:
Last edited by Frank La Rue on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.