Music - what are people listening to now?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Re: Music - what are people listening to now?

Post by Frank La Rue »

Oh, and I WILL get around to write about Jethro Tull's "Minstrel In The Gallery"
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

On a side note II:

Kennedy Center Honors - Tribute to Paul Mc Cartney,

- She came in Through the bathroom Window ( why did this never happen to me?)
- Let it Be
- Hey Jude

etc,,

Steven Tyler, Elvis Costely - my tears are flowing...... Good for the soul

Ramble over III

lomuamart

Help with the universe

Post by lomuamart »

I was just looking for some Pink Floyd and I came up with this -

I know there are some astronauts out there.
So, what's the meaning of the universe?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Sorry, here's the link
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I never thought I'd ever listen to some s*** kicking American country stuff.
However, came across Gillian Welch with Dave Rowlings.
Excellent and as usual I can't put the bloody link up properly.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

a girlfriend 'turned me on' with this track All of Me by John Legend
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Absolutely superb - big hand for that DM, I shall be downloading the album forthwith!! :thumb:

Embarrassingly out of touch, I'd not heard of him...... although did recognise the music :oops: Getting old I guess... :(

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:Where do you guys download your music from? I'm looking for a couple of hard to find albums by a group that only published in the 60's and early 70's. A couple of them are on Amazon, but I was wondering if there are any "cheaper" places that are safe to download from.
It wouldn't be "Valilla Fudge" by any chance? They were an american band, short lived I believe but had some great songs.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

I am in to Tommy Emmanuel these days. In addition to being a great guitar player and solo performer he must also be one of the most sympathetic Aussies on the plannet - he is ooozing from bonhommerie. Below he plays with some fellow guitar colleagues - they call themselves The Kings of Strings:

Awesome
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Frank La Rue wrote:I am in to Tommy Emmanuel these days. In addition to being a great guitar player and solo performer he must also be one of the most sympathetic Aussies on the plannet - he is ooozing from bonhommerie. Below he plays with some fellow guitar colleagues - they call themselves The Kings of Strings:

Awesome
Love it

Reminds me of Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucía in the early 80's
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

bsdk1960 wrote:
Frank La Rue wrote:I am in to Tommy Emmanuel these days. In addition to being a great guitar player and solo performer he must also be one of the most sympathetic Aussies on the plannet - he is ooozing from bonhommerie. Below he plays with some fellow guitar colleagues - they call themselves The Kings of Strings:

Awesome
Love it

Reminds me of Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin, and Paco de Lucía in the early 80's

Great to meet a fellow Time Traveller - the comparison you make that brings back fond memories. It can only happen because we must be of similar age. I had their record on vinyl - now I will go ans see if I find the CDor conceert DVD on amazon
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Almost wanted to open a new thread for the below:

You know when someone performs with authority, like real AUTHORITY?

In my youth in the early Seventies there were two camps when it came to rock bands with a horn section, there was Chicago and then there was Blood Sweat and Tears.
The former as we know, went on to play quite commercial and successful soft rock for a career spanning now more than 40 years and the latter just faded from public attention.

I was in the Chicago camp at the time and have over the years bought about 30 of their albums and several live DVDs which I thoroughtly enjoy. Great listening experience - no doubt to me anyway.

However in the back of my mind I have had over the years the mempories of Blood Sweat and Tears as some of their tunes were great jazzy songs which stuck with me so I browsed the Amazon a coupole of weeks a go to see what I could find. I did not find any live DVDs with the band but I found a live DVD with their original lead singer David Clayton-Thomas, live from "Le Festival International De Jazz de Montral" I think it is recorded in 2006.

With a great band - not the original members, and a very catchy horn section he performs all of the known Blood Sweat and Tears - tunes from all those years ago.

WOW! - what a performance and what a performer - The man has a stage prescence and comports himself with a natural Authority which blows you away - that is me, in this case.
Don't think of Freddy Mercury at Wembley in 1986 or Paul Rogers in his later years - both are assigned authority in their stage prescence, think rather of Frank Sinatra.

A deeply enjoyable listening - and watching experience to be allowed to share in on David Clayton - Thomas' talent.

A very gifted man and a real Man too in his older years,

I can only recommend - I will play it again tonight.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Rediscovered this classic song sung by Liz Fraser (Cocteau Twins,) written by Tim Buckley and Larry Beckett. Interestingly Liz had an affair with Buckley's son Jeff. The song has been covered by great singers such as Plant, Sinead O'Conner, Ferry, George Michaels. Even Pay Boone did a Ho, Ho and a bottle of rum version that nearly drowned the song.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

A friend sent me this a couple of days ago. Best version I've heard, wish I could have been there.

The Wilson sisters (Heart) doing Led Zeppelins Stairway to Heavan. Robert Plant and the boys in the audience and Jason Bonham (John Bonhams') son on the drums.