BBC iPlayer

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

BBC iPlayer

Post by thecolonel »

How do I get this to work in Hua hin? Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
buksida

Re: BBC I player

Post by buksida »

Looks like you need a VPN, more info here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=35070
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

VPN is fine but the law changed last year in the UK. I believe you now have to register to watch Iplayer progs. They share your profile with the TV Licensing Authority with the aim to catch people watching without a TV licence. Quite new and not seen any reports of the effectiveness of the system. They also announced that they've installed software that will recognise a VPN.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel wrote:VPN is fine but the law changed last year in the UK. I believe you now have to register to watch Iplayer progs. They share your profile with the TV Licensing Authority with the aim to catch people watching without a TV licence. Quite new and not seen any reports of the effectiveness of the system. They also announced that they've installed software that will recognise a VPN.
Well I registered for a new VPN just a month ago and it works with the BBC iPlayer no problem - I had previously registered an account with the iPlayer- I can’t remember what information I had to provide, if it had included an address I would have used my brother in laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

HHTel wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:44 pm VPN is fine but the law changed last year in the UK. I believe you now have to register to watch Iplayer progs. They share your profile with the TV Licensing Authority with the aim to catch people watching without a TV licence. Quite new and not seen any reports of the effectiveness of the system. They also announced that they've installed software that will recognise a VPN.
well it's been effective for the BBC where I'm concerned, watched i-player via a VPN for years and for about the last 9 months it won't let me anymore (message says it can see I am trying to access from a vpn)
buksida

Re: BBC iPlayer

Post by buksida »

Anyone used the iPlayer downloads app? Tried it yesterday to pre-download one of the Euro games so I could watch it without buffering, but it just threw up an error and wouldn't even start the process.

Yes, the VPN was connected to London.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:04 am Anyone used the iPlayer downloads app? Tried it yesterday to pre-download one of the Euro games so I could watch it without buffering, but it just threw up an error and wouldn't even start the process.

Yes, the VPN was connected to London.
I’ve not tried it for a long time but I just tried and it started to download - however I managed to watch the England game live with almost no buffering
buksida

Post by buksida »

Now I have my new rip-speed 3BB connection installed, I'll have another go, hell it might even stream now!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I would imagine the VPN required for iPlayer would slow the connection(?) - have you tried the likes of cricfree.tv or buffstreams.tv which wouldn't need the VPN?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

It does slow it - but it worked ok yesterday on 3BB, so all of my problems can be directly attributed to TOT - which will be cancelled at the next bill cycle.

The downloader also worked, albeit very slowly so will stick to torrents where possible.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I was watching BBC Lifestyle on TRUE here, one of the included channels, and an ad came on for a show "Chelsea Detective". It said to watch on BBC IPlayer "anywhere and anytime".

Have they changed their policy and now IPlayer shows are available worldwide without using a VPN or phony UK address?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

2 things..................

Firstly, I searched for Chelsea Detective, and it didn't find anything. Secondly, I clicked on something else, and got the message, "BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues."
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

Yep, iPlayer only works when the VPN is connected to London for me.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ Also cant find The Chelsea Detective on i Player but can watch everything else. BB have you got a VPN? You won't be able to access i Player without one.
Edit..can download The Chelsea Detective here...https://piratebay.party/torrent/5705632 ... 64-GalaxyT
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

"BBC Studios indie partners Expectation commissioned by Acorn TV and ZDF to produce The Chelsea Detective. New UK mystery drama starring Adrian Scarborough, Anamaria Marinca and Sonita Henry will be distributed worldwide by BBC Studios."

Further: https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/bbcst ... -detective

How the link to IPlayer happens I don't know, but the "Anywhere, anytime" comment was clear as a bell with no T&C printed at the bottom that I saw. Perhaps this show will be an exception as it seems to be a worldwide release.

I really wasn't interested in the show, just if BBC IPlayer had change their viewing policy. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source