BBC iPlayer via VPN

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by 404cameljockey »

Using my usual paid-for VPN program I can connect my computer to BBC iPlayer today and log in but iPlayer won't play TV programmes as it now sees that I'm outside the UK. I didn't use it for a while so I'm not sure how long it's been a problem. The computer program I use for downloading BBC content to my PC (to watch at a later date) also won't download TV programmes now for the same reason.

To test, I've downloaded a free VPN (with a data cap) and it connects and plays iPlayer programmes and the other program downloads.

I've a feeling BBC have blocked the VPN my pay service uses, anyone else have any issues? I'll drop them (not the BBC :D) a line if no-one else has problems.

(no holier-than-thou comments about piracy please, not interested as far as UK TV content is concerned :naughty: ).
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: BBC iPlayer via VPN

Post by RCer »

I've considered going the VPN route but have not because of my background in Telecom. These sites and streaming sites come and go like we change our socks (outside of Thailand where we don't wear socks, lol).

Meanwhile the paying subscriber gets stuck in the middle. Money paid out, short lived access, and then they have to track down a new provider.

I tend to get 1 month out of my free streaming services then I have to search for a new one because the old links are broken.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I've watched BBC iplayer via a free VPN for a long time until about a month ago when it started to display an error message, this content not available or similar.

I mentioned to my friend in Chiang Mai and he tried his and he still gets it but he uses a paid one , HotspotVPN.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

RCer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am I've considered going the VPN route but have not because of my background in Telecom. These sites and streaming sites come and go like we change our socks (outside of Thailand where we don't wear socks, lol).

Meanwhile the paying subscriber gets stuck in the middle. Money paid out, short lived access, and then they have to track down a new provider.

I tend to get 1 month out of my free streaming services then I have to search for a new one because the old links are broken.
Yes I think a reliable VPN service is worth the cost. One with multiple servers in many countries. The one I use is promptly responsive to emails and I've used them since at least 2007 so they're stable.

On the Android 'set top box' alternative there's a full UK TV streaming service that a friend in UAE has been using for at least a couple of years, seems good, runs out of Cyprus. They load the box and ship it fairly cheaply, with updates online I think. Not sure how Thai customs will be on that though, maybe better to get someone to bring it in in their luggage. :D

I'm using a full UK TV one that I installed on my box and set up myself a few days ago (fed up with the Kodi crap), 1000 Baht a month, working well but early days.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Pagey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:21 am I've watched BBC iplayer via a free VPN for a long time until about a month ago when it started to display an error message, this content not available or similar.

I mentioned to my friend in Chiang Mai and he tried his and he still gets it but he uses a paid one , HotspotVPN.
Thanks, seems definitely like BBC have cottoned on to the IP addresses my guys are using at the moment, a good service should change them regularly.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Hdprime has all the UK TV programmes plus sport etc for around 380 baht per month.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

If you set your VPN location as UK you can watch iPlayer with no problem.

Actually I have just played with mine and it does not seem to matter which VPN location is selected it works every time
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:50 am If you set your VPN location as UK you can watch iPlayer with no problem.

Actually I have just played with mine and it does not seem to matter which VPN location is selected it works every time
That's what I have done for years, but I was just told by my VPN provider:

"BBC started aggressively blocking access if a VPN was detected a few weeks ago."

also:

"You will need to clear your browser cache after you connect and before you try to access BBC iplayer as BBC now checks browser cache for location info and will block access regardless of the Internet IP address if they find something giving away your actual location"

They have given me a custom gateway and it works fine now.

But I can't believe you can watch programmes on BBC iPlayer from an IP address outside of the UK as you say you do? No one can do that. You will get the message "BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues. " If you do then you're some sort of magician. :)

The free VPN I tried today (10 GB cap so not useful long term) works if set to a UK location, but not a North American one. And that's the way it always is. The VPN's IP address is obviously not one recognised as a VPN by the BBC (yet).
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I have been watching BBC iPlayer regularly including this morning using my PIA VPN with settings such as Singapore, Hong Kong, numerous US locations, plus many more. I have no need to clear my cache or anything else and I get perfect reception. However my BBC account does have a UK address and post code associated with it from years ago.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

StevePIraq wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:59 pm I have been watching BBC iPlayer regularly including this morning using my PIA VPN with settings such as Singapore, Hong Kong, numerous US locations, plus many more. I have no need to clear my cache or anything else and I get perfect reception. However my BBC account does have a UK address and post code associated with it from years ago.
Wow still very strange. Even if you have a TV license in the UK, you shouldn't be able to watch with an IP address in a range outside the UK. Don't know what to say.... :bow:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

And I don't have a TV license in the UK, even stranger.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Just checked and a UK TV license is a legal requirement but not linked to your BBC account, all the account requires is a
the following
Email address
Password
Post Code
JammieR
Novice
Novice

Post by JammieR »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:12 am Using my usual paid-for VPN program I can connect my computer to BBC iPlayer today and log in but iPlayer won't play TV programmes as it now sees that I'm outside the UK. I didn't use it for a while so I'm not sure how long it's been a problem. The computer program I use for downloading BBC content to my PC (to watch at a later date) also won't download TV programmes now for the same reason.

To test, I've downloaded a free VPN (with a data cap) and it connects and plays iPlayer programmes and the other program downloads.

I've a feeling BBC have blocked the VPN my pay service uses, anyone else have any issues? I'll drop them (not the BBC :D) a line if no-one else has problems.

(no holier-than-thou comments about piracy please, not interested as far as UK TV content is concerned :naughty: ).
To be honest i have had the same problem. I did a little research and found out a number of vpn providers catering theis niche. What I did was opt for the best Singapore vpn available in the market in term of price and features to watch bbc iplayer abroad.
Now its been six months and i am watching it without any problem. Some times the IP doesn't work but it rarely happens. :tsk:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I get Netflix without a VPN, it opened up a year, or so, back
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.