SlingBox - What the Hell? Now can't access after 3 mos.

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

SlingBox - What the Hell? Now can't access after 3 mos.

Post by T.I.G.R. »

I reported in March the I had purchased a SlingBox so I could view news content from America. Great news, eh?

Finally got it to work after a lot of trial and error.....seems like there hadn't been much going on on the websites since 2014, although they are still today selling the product.. At any rate it worked O.K. for me since then although not perfect it still beat CNN by a country mile.

Went to watch it about four days ago and my login wouldn't work. Not the first problem so I kept fooling with it and after a couple of days called my IP friend in Ca. whose house it is in......he couldn't figure it out either. Now there is a U.S. Flag on the main screen......click on it and it asks you to click on your country.

GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU ARE IN THAILAND YOU CAN NO LONGER COMMUNICATE WITH THE U.S. USING YOUR SLINGBOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as I can tell there is no information on this sudden change of events ANYWHERE.....no warning, no explanation, nothing. I did find the phone number of some guy in California which I intend to call at the first opportunity at 8:00 a.m. their time tonight. An email address I found in the middle east claiming to be their world wide office hasn't yielded an answer........

All of their site info still claims you can watch from ANYWHERE.............Bastards!!!!!!!!!!
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: SlingBox - What the Hell? Now can't access after 3 mos.

Post by J.J.B. »

Have you tried it through a VPN where you have selected the US as your country of residence? That might be a quick and relatively cheap solution. I got a SlingBox in 2010 when I moved to Italy but the Italian network was rubbish and then my satellite box, which was in my brother's house, fried and we never bothered to set it up again. A good idea but poor execution and rubbish if the connection at either end is anything less than 20Mb.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

you can try install the Opera browser,its free and have a us vpn built in

:cheers: :cheers:
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Definitely need something that registers as a US IP address. Thats what a VPN can do for you.