Truevisions - How about more "real" news channels

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Truevisions - How about more "real" news channels

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Since moving here eleven years ago I have been quite pleased most of the time with the selections I receive in Thailand from Truevisions. Because I am an avid sports follower I count on Truevisions to give me a broad range of United States sports activities. Most of the time they do pretty well.

As an avid follower of general news I am quite dissapointed. In America we are privileged to be able to chose from several varied and quality news sources for both National and International news. Accordingly, it has been a sad thing to watch, as our primary news channel, CNN, evolved from a decent general news provider to a company that has taken a decidedly singular vision of America's Political Scene. If you are a liberal you will be quite happy watching CNN. If you are not........well, you are looking for an alternative.

I hope there are enough of you out there with similar views to mine that would like Truevisions to add to its News Channels a selection of general news providers with a broader focus on the actual news, and less focus on providing opinion pieces and political leanings, one way or the other.

I would love to see additions to the news menus, such as Fox News and Al Jazeera English. Unfortunately I don't know of any other candidates offhand, but would very much like to join anyone's efforts to request other channels similar to these.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Truevisions - How about more "real"news channels

Post by huahin4ever »

I work in the US, and watch CNN, ABC, CBS and Fox. They all suck big time. In US most of the day it is US happenings, politics and Trump on all channels. It is like there is no other place in the world other than US. Even big foreign events, happenings and breaking news, sometimes they just mention it briefly and continue with the Trump stuff on and on and on and on.....
YNWA
buksida

Re: Truevisions - How about more "real" news channels

Post by buksida »

You can watch Al Jazeera online for free: http://www.aljazeera.com/live/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Truevisions - How about more "real"news channels

Post by bsdk1960 »

T.I.G.R. wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:37 pm Since moving here eleven years ago I have been quite pleased most of the time with the selections I receive in Thailand from Truevisions. Because I am an avid sports follower I count on Truevisions to give me a broad range of United States sports activities. Most of the time they do pretty well.

As an avid follower of general news I am quite dissapointed. In America we are privileged to be able to chose from several varied and quality news sources for both National and International news. Accordingly, it has been a sad thing to watch, as our primary news channel, CNN, evolved from a decent general news provider to a company that has taken a decidedly singular vision of America's Political Scene. If you are a liberal you will be quite happy watching CNN. If you are not........well, you are looking for an alternative.

I hope there are enough of you out there with similar views to mine that would like Truevisions to add to its News Channels a selection of general news providers with a broader focus on the actual news, and less focus on providing opinion pieces and political leanings, one way or the other.

I would love to see additions to the news menus, such as Fox News and Al Jazeera English. Unfortunately I don't know of any other candidates offhand, but would very much like to join anyone's efforts to request other channels similar to these.
Try this one : https://www.firstone.tv/Live ,it's free and if you register you can safe your favorites.
up in the bar theres a "watch tv now" go to the International country and you can find Al Jazeera English there.
there is many Fox News in the American field,but I think they are local news,never seen them.

:cheers: :cheers:
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Al Jazeera, France 24 (English), Sky News (UK), DW (Deutsche Welle) English, ABC News (Australia) all available live online from either their own website or via their YouTube channel.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I want Truevisions to make these offerings on their TV Subscription. I already watch more than I need on my computer, on my phone and on my tablet. I just want to be able to turn on my TV and see something beside CNN and BBC
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for True to listen to public opinion. They're too busy upholding their 'exclusivity' rights on the sport front. There are already less English channels than there used to be. It's not going to change in our favour anytime soon.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Actually the OP is both a good idea and ambiguous.

Having a variety of sources for news on TV would be great.

But, who reports "real news"? The definition is subjective based on the viewer's perspective. Some think BBC, NBC, etc, report the truth or "real news"?

How could any TV provider afford to offer a big list of channels like that? They pay a fee fir every show they have.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I agree with HHTel. China will allow western social media to its citizens before TRUE will spend on and offer quality channels. Your best bet TIGR Is to buy a smart TV and then get your news over the internet....but of course on your big screen TV rather than on a smaller device. Keep in mind when your current TV set reaches the end. Pete :cheers:

EDIT: To clarify for you, a smart TV also gets normal channels and you can keep your TRUE subscription if you want. The "smart" part is that it connects directly to the internet as well and allows you to browse/watch as you would on a computer.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Thanks Pete - Interesting that you've taken me from one pet peeve to another. I paid a substantial amount for a "smart" TV about 18 months ago; found out it wasn't all that smart. I could already do what little it did differently on my computer, and their idea of a "computer inside of a TV' fell a few gigabits short in reality. Fortunately it crapped out about a month ago and I got a nice 50" dumb TV for a whopping B12,000. Whooopeee, we're having fun now!!

You other guys had a really great idea too............I signed up for my very own VPN last night....been sitting here all day wondering what I do now? How does one turn the thing on?