Knighthood for Billy Connolly

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -sir-billy

A knighthood for the Scottish comedian Billy Connolly and new titles for Paul McCartney and JK Rowling are among the highlights of the honours list awarded to mark the birthday of Queen Elizabeth II.

The former Beatle and the Harry Potter author were made Companions of Honour, a 100-year-old award limited to 65 members at any one time. They join designer Terence Conran, celebrity cook Delia Smith and Nicholas Stern, a former World Bank chief economist and author of a widely cited report into the economics of climate change.

The list, officially published on Saturday, recognises “extraordinary people” from across the UK and is the “most diverse since the Order of the British Empire was started in 1917", said Mary Marsh, a member of the honours committee. Of the 1,109 people receiving awards, 554 are women and 10% are from ethnic minorities, she said.

Ukrainian-born billionaire Len Blavatnik was knighted for his charity work, as was Connolly. 

The 74-year-old comedian from Glasgow told the BBC he was "pleased and a little embarrassed" to get knighthood.
"It won't really dawn on me until Glasgow people start calling me 'Sir Billy' or whatever they come up with," he said.
He said it felt strange to be welcomed into the establishment as he still thought of himself as a "hairy rebel".

Other knighthoods went to John Timpson, chairman of Timpson Limited, and Frank Lowy, chairman of Westfield Corp. Jonathan Faull, who led the European Commission’s ill-fated task force to stop Brexit, also becomes a knight. They will all receive their honours in a ceremony during which they are touched on both shoulders with a sword and can then use the title "sir" before their names.

Helena Morrissey or Legal & General Investment Management, a campaigner for women on company boards, becomes a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire, along with the actresses Julie Walters and June Whitfield.

Newly installed Commanders of the Order of the British Empire, or CBE, include the singer Sade, Fungus the Bogeyman author Raymond Briggs and former special forces soldier and action book author Andy McNab, who wins the award for “services to literacy and charity".

Stephen Lansdown, who co-founded Hargreaves Lansdown Plc and owns Bristol City Football Club, also becomes a CBE alongside the architect Amanda Levete.

Most of the awards go to those who carry out community and charity work, many with young people. Award-winners include people as diverse as glass blowers, flint nappers, foster carers and John Hare, who receives his award for “services to conservation of the wild camel in Mongolia and China".

The honours, awarded twice yearly, are bestowed in the name of the queen and recommended by a panel that considers suggestions from government departments and political parties as well as from members of the public.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Re: Knighthood for Billy Connolly

Post by pharvey »

Love Billy, but feel these awards are a complete farce now-a-days. Sade with a CBE FFS :roll: What exactly has she done? Pop stars and Sports stars seem to get the awards/titles whilst those in the services for example are far more deserving and mostly ignored.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

pharvey wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:17 am Love Billy, but feel these awards are a complete farce now-a-days. Sade with a CBE FFS :roll: What exactly has she done? Pop stars and Sports stars seem to get the awards/titles whilst those in the services for example are far more deserving and mostly ignored.
I'm pretty sure that you're not going to agree with me but what has Sade done?
Well, maybe this and everything she's about - like love.
That'll do for me. She's far more deserving of an accolade than many others are, IMHO.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lomuamart wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:54 pm
pharvey wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:17 am Love Billy, but feel these awards are a complete farce now-a-days. Sade with a CBE FFS :roll: What exactly has she done? Pop stars and Sports stars seem to get the awards/titles whilst those in the services for example are far more deserving and mostly ignored.
I'm pretty sure that you're not going to agree with me but what has Sade done?
Quite - what has she done? OK, I'm sure she may be more deserviving than others who have been "awarded", but sorry - how in the hell are pop stars, sport stars and "celebs" more deserving than those men and women on the front line in the forces and serveces? To me it's become a farce.

Oh, and by the way..... I do actually like her and her music.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Sir Billy Connolly, 74, receives knighthood for his services to entertainment and charity... as he warns 'men will have to get a grip of themselves' in the wake of sexual harassment revelations

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... z4x9NQlFEp
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Sir Billy Connolly has been knighted for his services to entertainment and charity - just weeks before his 75th birthday.
The British comedian joked that he should be called 'Lancelot' as he had the honour bestowed upon him by the Duke of Cambridge during an Investiture ceremony at London's Buckingham Palace. 

The long-time actor also imparted some words of wisdom during the event, saying that men in the entertainment industry must 'get a grip of themselves' in the wake of sexual harassment revelations. :shock:
................................................................................................

There are some good photos and comments posted at the link. Although he looks his age, he seems to be coping well with his illness. :thumb:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Billy Connolly’s battle with Parkinson’s: Sir Michael Parkinson admits his good friend’s ‘wonderful brain has dulled’ as he recalls ‘sad and awkward’ moment he didn’t recognise him

https://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainment ... spartandhp

Sir Michael Parkinson has spoken out about his friend Sir Billy Connolly's ongoing battle with Parkinson's disease, saying that his 'wonderful brain has dulled'.

The veteran broadcaster, 83, discussed Sir Billy's condition during a segment on Saturday Morning With James Martin, where he told of a recent awkward dinner between the pair.

Sir Michael recalled the 'sad and awkward' moment he realised that his old friend didn't recognise him, during an awards dinner where he was presenting him with an accolade.
He told show host James that Sir Billy had asked him how long they had known each other for, which led him to speculate over whether he recognised him at all.

Comedian Billy, also known as The Big Yin, was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2013 following minor surgery for prostate cancer.
During the show Michael continued: 'The sadness of Billy now is that wonderful brain is dulled.'
He continued: 'I saw him recently - he's now living in America - and it was very sad, because I was presenting him with a prize at an award ceremony.

'We had an awkward dinner together, because I wasn't quite sure if he knew who I was or not.'
'But…' Sir Michael said. 'We were walking out after the presentation to go down and have our picture taken, and he turned to me and put his hand on my shoulders.

However, he said he did but 'wasn't sure where it was or what context at all'.
Sir Michael added: 'And to know someone as long as I knew and loved Billy… it was an awful thing to contemplate, that that had been taken from him in a sense.
'He was just a genius and the best thing that happened to me on the show.'

Sir Billy was a regular guest on his self-titled chat show which ran from 1971 to 2007, before he quit to focus on his autobiography and other projects.
As well as a successful career in stand-up comedy, Billy has also starred in the likes of The Hobbit, Mrs Brown and The Last Samurai.

He received his knighthood last October for his services to entertainment and charity - just weeks before his 75th birthday.
His knighthood occurred just a day after Billy - who revealed he is battling Parkinson's disease in 2013 - raised awareness of his condition at Downing Street.

The reception is a cause close to Billy's heart - he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and Parkinson's in the same week in 2013.
Parkinson's is a chronic neurological disorder, characterised by a deficiency of dopamine.

Actor Michael J. Fox and Muhammad Ali are among the most famous people with it.
The main symptoms are slowness of movement, stiffness of muscles and shaking.

Billy was recognised for his work in entertainment, both as a comedian and a TV personality, though he started out his career as a singer, originally performing with group The Humblebums.

After going solo, Billy released his first album Billy Connolly Live in 1972, the first of over 30 albums and comedic recordings made throughout his career.
After joining the chat show Parkinson in 1975, Billy made regular appearance on the show until its end in 2007, as well as a slew of other television and movie roles.

One of Billy's most iconic performances was in the period drama Mrs Brown, playing the infamous friend to Queen Victoria John Brown, and was nominated for a BAFTA for his performance.
(pictured in 2007 on one of Michael's last shows where he chose Billy as one of his guests)
(pictured in 2007 on one of Michael's last shows where he chose Billy as one of his guests)
Billy.jpg (25.08 KiB) Viewed 305 times