SlingBox

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

SlingBox

Post by T.I.G.R. »

For those few of us Americans who are hoping for a better solution to TV watching:

I purchased a SlingBox 500 and had it shipped to a friend in California. It's been a struggle, but after five days of angst we finally got it to work. I am streaming a Golf Channel broadcast from Northern California to Cha Am live off my iphone 5c, then "slung" to a Roku 3 and my big tv in the living room. I can now access our California TV/Internet provider and watch TV just like I was sitting in Ca.

I've ordered a Chromecast device which I'm hoping will eliminate the iphone and stream directly to my tv (more later if anyone is interested pm me).

This device could conceivably work from the UK as well, or anywhere you have a TV broadcast. I'm far from being skilled at this stuff and have had some help from my friend who does it for a living, but it's not difficult if you're lucky enough get it to work.....seems more like magic than anything. If you're interested look up SlingBox on your browser (there is also a site called SlingTV......not the same thing. Don't pick that one)
paul406

Re: SlingBox

Post by paul406 »

Hi
I am interested in your SlingBox experience. I too am from California, so use Comcast Xfinity.
and stay during the winter in Hua Hin.

Is the Slingbox located in California or in your home in Cha Am?

Do you have any online documents about how to set it up?

Thank you in advance
Paul
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Hi Paul -

Their website is SlingBox.com, You can see all the videos you want on YouTube.

1 - You have to have the "SlingBox" located at the premise you are sending the signal from. It doesn't matter what TV provider as long as you have a set top box or similar to hook up the SlingBox to. It would help here if you have a DVR with your equipment in California, because of the time difference. I ordered my SlingBox 500 sent to my friend's house in Ca. He set it up for me. It won't interfere with the equipment at the home site, it's just a pass-through. You'll learn more about that on YouTube.

2 - To receive the signal you get on the internet SlingBox.com. You don't need anything but access to the internet with a good signal. You download the slingplayer mobile app to your phone, tablet or whatever. At that point you have a watchable product on your mobile device.dary non-mobile device like your TV.

3- On your computer, You can download another program called Slingbox for web, (do NOT try to use the slingbox for windows or desktop, they won't work). You'll find access to that program on the SlingBox website. They have several different downloads for various equipment. This SlingBox for web will send the signal to your TV by using Roku, Apple AirPlay or Chromecast, which should already be in use on your TV or Computer.

Strangely, the signal decoding or whatever they do is all done on and for mobile devices. Once you have the signal on your mobile device you can "sling" it to a tablet, or to a computer or to your TV. Then you can literally turn the mobile device off, that's the weird part to me, the handoff. I got it working today and while I'm watching it on TV I turned off the phone......and the TV was still working. In fact, I turned off the phone app a couple of hours ago and I just now looked at Roku; it's still playing the TV in California! Weird.

I hope this helps you. Once I got it working it was a piece of cake to see and understand it.....before that I depended on my friend to know what to do......although the SlingBox website is helpful it is also quite confusing. When it didn't work I wasn't getting any error messages or anything, like driving in the dark without lights. So, if you try it and don't have any help let me know and I'll try to assist you if I can.
paul406

Post by paul406 »

Thanks T.I.G.R
I appreciate your time in giving me the details. I have at Tivo at home in California< so i assume i can use that as my DVR.
I will be returning to USA on the 23rd and may not return to Hua HIn for about 6 months.
That gives me time to check out your information.
If i do need your help when i return i would greatly appreciate it.
By the way, i live in Santa Cruz, how about you?
all the best
Paul
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

HI Paul - We lived in Copperopolis. North to Stockton's southern end and Hwy 4 east about 45 minutes. No problem if you need help....I'm pretty sure by then I'll know more than I do now. Just received a Chromecast do-dad from Lazada; something else to play with.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Update on Chromecast: Received the original Chromecast day before yesterday. There is a newer Chromecast Ultra out that may be of interest for those of us with "smart" TVs (my smart tv is still dumb as a rock but different story).

The Chromecast did it's job and was pretty easy to hook up. A warning though; it gets uncomfortably hot...so much so that I'm sending mine back and getting the new Ultra. This is a known problem and supposedly fixed in the new model. There is about a $40 difference in the price for the new one. If you're using Lazada they have a limited selection but much easier than dealing with customs etal. than buying from the U.S.
paul406

Post by paul406 »

Hi
I want to give an update. Based on your experience, I went with buying a slingbox and a Roku instead of a Chromecast.

I set everything up in the US first. then brought the Roku to Hua Hin in December.
All has worked, there is a delay in the signal of instuctions bouncing across the globe and back but i am enjoying it. I can use my TiVo as if i am there in the States.
Thanks for your posting about your experience. It led me to give it a try and I happy to report that it worked as you stated.
Appreciated
Paul
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Post by T.I.G.R. »

Hi Paul - Happy to hear you've been successful getting your Slingbox to work.

For those like me who don't know how to play the access game, below are some notes that may be helpful:

I had a lot of trouble over the summer with Slingbox.....they kept asking for my "provider", and if you aren't on the list of providers they give you you are out of luck. I learned the way to get around this problem was by using VPNs.

I'm a slow learner though....I thought initially you could just leave the VPN on all the time....turns out not to be the case. Several of my sites like banks, Amazon, my 401K account etc. kept asking me to go through security checks because they were seeing a "new device" when I logged in. Now if I'm going to one of those sites I turn off the VPN and use my regular IP address, then everything is fine.

Happy New Year to everyone...........
Clickingwk
Novice
Novice

Post by Clickingwk »

I need advice. I purchased roku ultra. Cannot get sports channels. I wqnt to purchase sling tv bu that is blocked here in Thailand. Does anyone know what to do? Or better yet does any one know a savvy computer dude who caan do this for me?