British Accent Quiz

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Re: British Accent Quiz

Post by arcadianagain »

Vital Spark wrote:Got 7/10 - but didn't have a second go as East Anglian accents didn't appear :( . I guess the guy couldn't get the Suffolk accent right 'boh' (like any actor who tries and fails). I love regional accents, but I've got a cousin who lives in Chatham (Kent) and speaks strong Estuary. After listening to him (and he talks a lot) for about 30 mins, it starts to grate a bit.

VS
I read somewhere that the natives of Chatham are called Chavs. Something to live down to.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

arcadianagain wrote:I read somewhere that the natives of Chatham are called Chavs.
This was news to me, and apparently a slur on the good people of Chatham! :laugh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Meet the Chatham Girls, known as 'Chavs', whose fashion sense and reputation for easy virtue have earned them a global following as worthy successors to their northern neighbours. For years, Essex Girls, typified by actress Denise van Outen, held the monopoly on short-skirted peroxide-blonde stereotypes, prompting questions in Parliament and essays by Germaine Greer.

From 'The Guardian" so it must be right!!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/may ... heobserver
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I hate the word 'chav' and all it implies. Not sure what is has to do with accents though?

Mind you, I equally hate the new to me, 'estuary English' as well. Berkshire, as per the above article, is a long way from any estuary!
Talk is cheap
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

[quote="caller"]I hate the word 'chav' and all it implies. Not sure what is has to do with accents though?

Because Vital Spark mentioned that her cousin, from Chatham, spoke in an accent that grated on her.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

arcadianagain wrote:Because Vital Spark mentioned that her cousin, from Chatham, spoke in an accent that grated on her.
Ah well, its been a strange day and I still don't get the estuary English bit and the word chav. But it's not earth shatteringly important.
Talk is cheap
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Like anything in life, Caller, you really need to experience it to fully understand it, so I think you should try being an Estuary-speaking Chav for a day.
Step 1: Buy a fake Rolex, and dress yourself in fake designer gear (including Calvin Klein underpants).
Step 2: When speaking, replace any word beginning with 'th' with the 'f' sound.
Step 3: End every sentence with either 'dinni' or 'innit' (whichever seems appropriate) but don't worry if you pick the wrong one because the person you're speaking to won't be allowed to reply to the question tags. And remember to speak really quickly.

There yer go...

VS :wink:

P.S. dinni is pronounced "din eye"
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Vital Spark wrote:Step 1: Buy a fake Rolex, and dress yourself in fake designer gear (including Calvin Klein underpants).
Step 2: When speaking, replace any word beginning with 'th' with the 'f' sound.
Step 3: End every sentence with either 'dinni' or 'innit' (whichever seems appropriate) but don't worry if you pick the wrong one because the person you're speaking to won't be allowed to reply to the question tags. And remember to speak really quickly.
Sounds like a lot of expats I see floating around Thailand, to be honest! :wink:

I am really confused about this estuary English thing, it seems the Essex Estuary English is different to the Berkshire Estuary English (assuming they mean the bit of Berkshire that borders London and not the bit that borders Wiltshire, where they speak with more of a burr). What it really means is that someone has decided to lump the various London and surrounds accents under one moniker which doesn't really fit!
Talk is cheap