The 'Truth' in Hollywood's 'True Stories'

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

The 'Truth' in Hollywood's 'True Stories'

Post by GLCQuantum »

So I just finished watching 'Patch Adams' (again) and decided to google about the man himself. Very interesting chap. One part of the movie though, where his 'girlfriend' is killed by a patient from his newly formed free hospital, is absolute fiction! The main heart-wrenching part of the movie is a bloody lie! Actually his best (male) friend was murdered in real life and not by a patient at all.

Now... I know how Hollywood lies. Expect it. But for complete rubbish to be thrown into 'real stories' about a guy, in order to tug at the old heart strings, is just completely wrong.

In my 'rage' I stumbled across this web page that has a great little 'true or false' section (on the left) about a whole bunch of 'true stories' done by Hollywood. I thought it made for some interesting (and disappointing) reading.

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/patchadams.php

:cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: The 'Truth' in Hollywood's 'True Stories'

Post by migrant »

I remember reading about quite a few book authors that disclaimed movies based upon their books due to the changes Hollywood made
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Re: The 'Truth' in Hollywood's 'True Stories'

Post by RCer »

A little help for you. Hollywood tells 3 types of stories; documentary (true story with little or no fiction included), based on true events (fiction with just enough truth to get your attention because you may have heard about the event), and fiction.