Which Magic Box for TV streaming

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Which Magic Box for TV streaming

Post by RCer »

Which set-top box is best for watching English speaking channels?

We're finally moving from Phetchabun to Hua Hin on Friday. Internet has been rare here and I'm hoping HH has good internet.

I'm looking for input from actual owners/users.

My needs are regular TV shows (drama, comedy, etc), racing, movies, news. Don't care about team sports. American based shows would be great.

I'd appreciate any information. Links to web sites so I can look at programming, etc would be very helpful.

Thanks
Big Boy

Re: Which Magic Box

Post by Big Boy »

For regular English TV, I don't think you can beat Thai Expat TV viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21372

For sport, I was using 365 Sport, but they wanted silly money to let me watch the 3 Plymouth play-off games, so I have dropped them, and have moved to IlikeHD, which offers all the sport I can handle for 3/4 of the price of 365 Sport.

The advantage of Thai Expat TV is that you can watch on demand for 2 weeks. I always watch sport live, or not at all. If you don't need the catch up on English TV, then you can buy the Expat TV channels for about an extra 200 Baht on IlikeHD. The above link will give you a free trial for a few days on Expat TV.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Thai Expat TV is excellent. Expat Premium TV is also very good (got the sports channels which the other one hasn't). Use both of them and never had a problem. No need for a box either.

Thai Expat TV = 600 baht a month.

Expat Premium = 3 months around 2000 baht.

:cheers:

Edit: Crossed posts with you BB
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

GLCQuantum wrote:Thai Expat TV is excellent. Expat Premium TV is also very good (got the sports channels which the other one hasn't). Use both of them and never had a problem. No need for a box either.
I asked Expat TV about sports packages in the last couple of weeks, and they responded:
We do not provide any sports channels.

We install the app for a company called 365 Sport onto our set top boxes who offer sports channels.

You can sign up for a sports subscription with them through their website here: https://www.365sport.tv/index.php

Points 41; Position 18
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

On the Expat Premium TV (not to be confused with Thai Expat TV) I get 8 Sky Sports channels, 3 BT sports channels, ESPN and Box Nation. Only get the Sunday night and Monday night PL football (just like the UK) which sucks, so have to go out to a bar somewhere on Saturday to watch the footie.

I'm assuming I'll get all Euro games on one of the channels from the two TV packages.

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Sorry GLC, when I saw Expat Premium TV, I saw Thai Expat TV Premium. Typical Thailand, can't think of an original name. :?

If you check out IlikeHD, you'll see that you can get the same, plus more for only 1350 baht for 3 months.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

BTW, although IlikeHD is only available in Thailand, I was using it with no problem in Cambodia last week.

You can sign up for an account free, and trial it using Thai Channels (yuk), before taking the plunge to buy whatever package suits you.

Points 41; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Isn't Thai Expat TV mainly UK channels (as it implies in the first post on their advertorial)? The Op is interested in a box that will allow him to watch American channels.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

hhfarang wrote:Isn't Thai Expat TV mainly UK channels (as it implies in the first post on their advertorial)? The Op is interested in a box that will allow him to watch American channels.
It's mainly UK but a fair amount of US broadcasts. Lots of movies too. I signed up for their trial (free) and have kept it, been pleased.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Expat Premium TV has a lot of the American shows. I watch my Pawnstars, Storage Wars, Big Bang Theory and a bit of Friends on it.

BigBoy. That ilikeHD... can you watch the shows at any time (like a few hours/days later) or do you need to be up at the time it's shown on the TV guide to watch it? If it's the latter, it's of no use to me as most of the shows I watch (and me dad) would be at silly o' clock here.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Never bothered with set top boxes as they're forever going wrong and you have to upgrade/buy a new one every couple of years. Have used Expat TV now for 2-3 years without a problem, they're constantly adding channels to it and no box required!

http://www.thaiexpat.tv/aff.php?aff=033

If I want movies or series I'll just download them.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

GLCQuantum wrote:Expat Premium TV has a lot of the American shows. I watch my Pawnstars, Storage Wars, Big Bang Theory and a bit of Friends on it.

BigBoy. That ilikeHD... can you watch the shows at any time (like a few hours/days later) or do you need to be up at the time it's shown on the TV guide to watch it? If it's the latter, it's of no use to me as most of the shows I watch (and me dad) would be at silly o' clock here.
IlikeHD has everything Expat Premium has, and a lot more - you pay for what you want, and it is a fraction of the price.

No, it doesn't have catch up TV, which isn't a problem for me as I watch my sport live. However, I watch my UK terrestrial TV on catch up, which is why I still have Thai Expat TV, although with the huge savings available, it might be more feasible to purchase a decent recording/storage device.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Incidentally, IlikeHD caters for many nationalities, but not Americans unfortunately:
TV.png
TV.png (2.17 KiB) Viewed 3216 times

Points 41; Position 18
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Filmon.com works fine for me. Most UK free view channels. Live Canadian tv and a load of other stuff I haven't bothered with. Only down side is not being able to record and play back later. Though with a bit of imagination it is probably possible.
Bonbon
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Bonbon »

Use a MAG 254
This has two portals
Gobox TV twenty one Euros for thee month. This has catch up TV along with HD sport.
Rocket TV portal this has 1200 Chanel's along with over 2000 movies on demand. This portal was sixty dollars for a year.
Both portals have occasional problems. Yet the MAG 254 works very well.