It Was Alright in the 1960s

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Big Boy

It Was Alright in the 1960s

Post by Big Boy »

Very little to do this afternoon, so I found myself flicking through the channels, when I came across this gem on More4.

It was showing some of the very non-PC stuff that we used to watch without any qualms at all in the 1960s. It actually makes you wonder how we've got to where we are. Examples were:

- Sweet Millicent Martin wearing an Uncle Sam outfit singing about the niggers hanging from the trees on the Mississippi.

- A Labour election candidate with his election slogan vote Labour if you don't want a nigger for a neighbour (and some think Trump is OTT).

- The guy talking about inter-racial marriages really made me sit up and take notice. But then I thought back, and my mother used to have very similar views - I wonder what she'd have thought of my situation.

- It showed TV's first inter-racial kiss on Emergency Ward 10 (not Captain Kirk and Aurora as many think). They then explained the fall out and how the black actress had to be written out almost immediately.

- The stuff the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band got away with - incredible.

This is history in our lifetime, which was a real eye opener to me. I actually remembered a lot of it, but didn't remember how non-PC it was.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: It Was Alright in the 1960s

Post by HHTel »

Along with:

'Love thy Neighbour'
'Rising Damp'
'Till Death us do Part'

and many more popular sitcoms and they weren't a problem.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

By comparison to Britian, American TV was far tamer in the 60s. And 70s. And so on. 'All in the Family' broke ground by dealing with many subjects other networks and shows wouldn't touch for years. First show in US TV history to be rated #1 5 years in a row. It's absurd that one couldn't broadcast these shows today.

Anyway, here is an example. Archie was moonlighting as a taxi driver when Sammy Davis Jr., playing himself, left his briefcase in the cab. He comes to Archie's home to retrieve it. URL is through a website that hides the title and comments of the clip so as to not spoil the surprise.

http://www.nospoiler.com/y/hMlpKbIS1I4
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

'All in the Family' - based on 'Till Death Us Do Part'?
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

It came about after the writer read an article about 'Till Death Us Do Part'. So the idea came from the UK series.