Best "free" film/TV streaming sites?

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Best "free" film/TV streaming sites?

Post by hhinner »

^^ Make the most of it while you can if this is true: http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sci ... rd-Account
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Instead of BBC asking for a TV license, why not simply ask for a fee for those who don't have..can't get etc. I know there are still people who run around and make a profession of stealing content, but we really need to get past that as it pertains to this thread and a replacement for Expat/365. If you want convenience and hassle free, viewers are going to have to pay something.

To watch the BBC shows you need a TV license, how about adding another million or two viewers paying a small monthly fee so non-resident/non-citizen people can watch also? Maybe they offer that already, but I've never come across it.

With expanding IT and identification capabilities, a citizen of a country should be able to watch shows from his/her country anywhere on the globe, with the same ease and cost as those living there.

The whole "beyond borders" viewing issue is a can of worms. It should get better over time as things evolve IMO. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Re: ThaiExpatTV,ExPatPremiumTV & 365Sport Problems

Post by Big Boy »

My needs are simple. I want BBC1, ITV and a decent news channel (if such a beast exists). Football would be a bonus, but I can survive on Hua Hin City.

My plan A was that I'd download my requirements via Torrent. That plan is looking doubtful as no UK TV that I watch has been uploaded since 17 May. Also some Torrent sites also closed on that day. It looks as though that plan is dead.

My plan B was to stream direct from the UK using Kodi. That solution works, but doesn't meet my simple needs.

I was looking on Facebook today, and some clever Dick was saying that his Platinum Package on True was good for 2,200 Baht/month. Somebody with similar needs to mine asked if it did ITV and BBC. Being a clever Dick he said yes. My brain started turning over, I was paying 1,000/month for Expat and 365. My wife's basic True package was costing 598/month. Was I really putting myself through all of this grief for less than 150 Baht/week. I might be a tight git, but this was stupid.

I went on to the True site, and there were some great introductory offers - it would work out cheaper initially. However, no sign of BBC nor ITV :cry: Can somebody please tell me if the guy was being a clever Dick, enjoying people's discomfort, or was he telling the truth, and the packages actually exist.

One other question, can I watch True Platinum on demand, or do I have to buy an expensive piece of kit?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

He's about right on the price. There is 24 hour BBC news on channel 785. They used to have ITV but it was dropped some time ago if I recall correctly in one of their cost cutting exercises. :roll: :roll: There is also BBC Earth on channel 568 but as is normal with TRUE, they show a lot of repeats of the same shows...usually one of your TV personalities...Robson Green fishing show who can't fish and has the biggest mouth and ego of anyone I may have ever seen!. :banghead: There is a record function with TRUE but you have to sign up for it and I don't know if any extra cost? But......for the next few years, how long I'm not sure, you do get most of the Premier League matches along with some Italian, German and Spanish. You also get a lot of Rugby from all over on Setanta 669. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay for a half decent VPN that uses a UK IP address and get your TV direct from the source than to carry on feeding the Thai TV mega-corps at the trough? (Though you would need a very stable internet connection for this).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks Pete, it's not what I want. I'm fast coming to the conclusion that our TVs can go to the recycle man. They're no longer of any use to me :cry: . I don't mind paying, but money can't buy what I want.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:00 pm Wouldn't it be cheaper to pay for a half decent VPN that uses a UK IP address and get your TV direct from the source than to carry on feeding the Thai TV mega-corps at the trough? (Though you would need a very stable internet connection for this).
Not at the moment. There seems to be a determined effort to cut every legal source off. I could invest in a VPN, only to find another hole blocked next week.

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Try a smart TV the next time you need a TV. My daughter's old one blew up and we got an LG 40" + - at a good price....I forget but I think around 10? It's a lot of fun and links up directly with your home wi-fi and so far she has had no problem streaming things that she comes across. You can search directly on the TV for sources of things, just like you do on your computer. TOT fiber seems up to the task as she is on it while the wife is on her phone Facebook and I'm on my laptop at some site or another. Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Big Boy wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 pm My needs are simple. I want BBC1, ITV and a decent news channel (if such a beast exists). Football would be a bonus, but I can survive on Hua Hin City.
Try http://www.filmon.com/tv/bbc-news

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Big Boy wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 7:34 am Why can somebody like Sky, provide the services legally?
Because they don't have the rights to provide the coverage in Thailand. Fox Sports do.
Why can't Fox Sport (Thailand) provide the service? Because they sub-let the coverage to True (and CTH? What happened to them...?).
Why can't True provide the service? Presumably they either only have network broadcast rights, or they're run bu a bunch of old timers who don't "get" the digital age.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Unfortunately, my needs are simple, but very specific. A smart TV can't achieve what I want. Considering investing in a DVD recorder now, and getting my brother to record in the UK/send by snail mail. What's the point of technology, when the only thing you can do is use snail mail?

Those guys were providing a good service. Who has actually gained by stopping it?

Points 41; Position 18
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

prcscct wrote: Fri May 19, 2017 8:11 pm To watch the BBC shows you need a TV license, how about adding another million or two viewers paying a small monthly fee so non-resident/non-citizen people can watch also? Maybe they offer that already, but I've never come across it.
they make money selling rights to their channels and content to international broadcasters, which is the whole reason you need a VPN to "prove" that you're in the UK in order to view in the first place.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

pharvey wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:12 pm
Big Boy wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 1:17 pm My needs are simple. I want BBC1, ITV and a decent news channel (if such a beast exists). Football would be a bonus, but I can survive on Hua Hin City.
Try http://www.filmon.com/tv/bbc-news :cheers: :cheers:
That loaded quickly but it seems, at least here, that the free versions show a taped Thai ad ever few minutes. The ad free subscription is $14.95 per month or I think it said $149.00 per year. Has a lot of UK TV besides the BBC. Pete :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks guys, but that one doesn't help.

Points 41; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

prcscct wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 3:05 pmThat loaded quickly but it seems, at least here, that the free versions show a taped Thai ad ever few minutes. The ad free subscription is $14.95 per month or I think it said $149.00 per year. Has a lot of UK TV besides the BBC. Pete :cheers:
I've never suffered with Ads as such, but likely as I use a decent "Ad Blocker". Quite right as you say there are many UK channels aside from the news, but this site is also not limited to UK TV - plenty others also including US and Canadian channels.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.