RIP Acker Bilk

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

RIP Acker Bilk

Post by richard »

A great performer in his time and quite a 'lad' in his personal life

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29874053
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Re: RIP Acker Bilk

Post by theprice01 »

Yes, was sad to read of this. My dad saw him many times in concert over the years, me be too young to remember, however we still make an annual visit to Tunbridge Wells to see Chris Barber in concert, a different set each time, amazing considering his age.
RIP Acker
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I met Acker in the mid 60's in Singapore whilst I was serving in the navy. Very true, Richard, he was a 'lad' in those days. I could tell you some stories!!!!!!!!!

Great guy. Great music.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

HHT.............I sat next to him on a trans Atlantic flight once. He talked and drained a quart of brandy on the way over. He did take a short break to disappear into economy to join the 'mile high' club with a fan of his who he'd chatted up at Heathrow. What a mind-blowing character.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

He introduced me to jazz when I was a teenager. I remember he was billed as MR. Acker Bilk saying that if the USA had Duke Ellington and Count Basie he should have a title as well.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

I had the pleasure of playing a concert with him back in 1988. After the concert our bands got together backstage and shared a few bottles of champagne donated by the organizers. I got to know him as the fine, warm and easy-going fellow he always were, and our contact lasted years after.
Acker had developed his own personal tone on the clarinet and reached a very broad audience outside the jazz afficionados through a number of popular recordings, many of which with strings. While I mostly enjoyed his jazz recordings, "Stranger on the Shore" became one of my favorites.
We have lost a truly great musician. Heaven will benefit from his talents.
Rest in Peace, old fellow.
A friend is only one click away