Philip Seymour Hoffman died at 46

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Philip Seymour Hoffman died at 46

Post by Homer »

Hoffman was an actor with tremendous range, usually in a supporting role or as part of an ensemble. He played weaklings, empire builders, pragmatists, flight-of-fancy followers, and everything in between, averaging about 4 films a year. His visibility decreased in the last 5 years, taking smaller roles or in smaller pictures. Maybe that was because he'd earned enough in the first 15 years of his career to pick parts for artistic reasons. Maybe age was an issue for casting. Maybe his life long struggle with substance abuse was catching up with him. He will be missed.

A few weeks ago a photographer was making old time tintype portraits of at the Sundance film festival. This may be the last photo of Hoffman, or at least the last formal portrait.
PSHoffman-LastPhoto.JPG
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman died at 46

Post by GLCQuantum »

A massive shame for the movie industry.

Easily in my 'favourite actors' list and the thought of what other future stories he could have gifted us with, with his acting skills... is saddening.

Defeated by a troubled period.

You gave a lot of people a lot of enjoyment Mr Hoffman.

May you be at peace... :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Sad news made all the more tragic at the age of just 46. I have certainly enjoyed a number of his films and I am sure he will be sorely missed by fans and the industry alike.

A sad side of the reports in the UK press at least, has been the "acid comments" regarding his drug abuse.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

Brilliant actor. I will miss his films.
www.35mmview.com
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I don't usually give two hoots when one of these types dies of an overdose, but have to say that I am gutted Hoffman is no longer around to make movies. Stunning actor.

I watched 'Doubt' for the first time, yet again a great movie and performance. I think my favorite Hoffman movie has to be 'Before the devil knows you're dead'. A pretty dark storyline and without giving too much away there is a scene where he is high on heroin and passed out on a bed with a needle in his arm. Strange that that is how he was found dead a few weeks ago.

Any other recommendations?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Capote for a leading role. Moneyball and Charlie Wilson's War for prominent supporting or ensemble work. Almost Famous for a small role in which he had to be utterly convincing to make the lead character's commitment to a quest believable. All 4 films were based on true stories.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Henry 14th wrote:I don't usually give two hoots when one of these types dies of an overdose, ...
Me neither, though I gotta respect Mr. Hoffman for his 23 years sober.