TOP GEAR

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Re: TOP GEAR

Post by arcadianagain »

pharvey wrote:
margaretcarnes wrote:Gutted. Can't stand Chris Evans!
Well, at least you can take consolation in the fact that the "Three Amigos" are planning a show in direct competition on ITV...

:cheers: :cheers:

I read somewhere that there is a clause in their contracts which prevents them from working as a trio for any other channel. Let`s wait and see.
I watched old episodes of Top Gear on BBC Entertainment channel and two recent guests were Chris Evans and Jody Kidd. Oh the irony.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

arcadianagain wrote:I read somewhere that there is a clause in their contracts which prevents them from working as a trio for any other channel.
Certainly seems as if you're right there - at least with regards to "British TV"..

"It seems like the former hosts of Top Gear are having trouble getting their new show off the starting grid. A non-compete clause in the contracts of TV presenter Jeremy Clarkson is preventing him, along with co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May, from making a move over to the BBC's rival network, ITV.
Clarkson's contract with the BBC, which was rumoured to be around £3 million a year, states that he cannot make a new motoring show for a fixed amount of time after his tenure with Top Gear ends. The clause is set to expire in April 2017, which means Clarkson and his crew cannot create an automotive related show on British TV for the next 2 years."

Although apparently Netflix is a possibility....... as you say, watch this space!!

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

All this hype about Top Gear! I'm going to have to treat myself to an episode today - never seen it before.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Don't bother watching the last one!!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Just watched a little bit of a season 22 episode...Jeremy Clarkson plays a right miserable git - guess that's his style. A kind of Victor Meldrew with cars thrown in. Quite funny actually.

I'll try and start from the beginning and, if I enjoy it, have me a marathon sesh... :D

:cheers:
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

:laugh:

Shows how much I know about this show and its people! I have, of course, seen Clarkson in the papers so I was baffled to see him wearing a wig at the start of the (first ever) episode I watched ...

... as it continued (and I read a little bit about the show) I realised that it was, indeed, a different person. I've never heard of 'James May' in my life! The other two, sure... not 'im.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

GLCQuantum wrote::laugh:

Shows how much I know about this show and its people! I have, of course, seen Clarkson in the papers so I was baffled to see him wearing a wig at the start of the (first ever) episode I watched ...

... as it continued (and I read a little bit about the show) I realised that it was, indeed, a different person. I've never heard of 'James May' in my life! The other two, sure... not 'im.
james allso play the flute

lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Thats not a flute its a recorder
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I read that Jenson Button is being lined up as part of the New Top Gear set-up. Good choice, he is intelligent (could be a negative), photogenic (could be another negative) and he can drive a bit
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

arcadianagain wrote:I read that Jenson Button is being lined up as part of the New Top Gear set-up. Good choice, he is intelligent (could be a negative), photogenic (could be another negative) and he can drive a bit
... and he's got a great name! (Along with former rugby player Austin Healey)
This is the way
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's former BBC "Top Gear" host Jeremy Clarkson has signed an exclusive deal with Amazon to present a new motoring show for the online retailer's subscription service alongside co-presenters Richard Hammond and James May.
Clarkson had generated both controversy and profits for Britain's publicly-funded broadcaster. His BBC contract was not renewed after he physically attacked a member of the "Top Gear" production staff in March.
The 55-year-old had become the popular face of the programme by mixing a passion for cars with a swagger and blunt commentary that offended numerous groups over the years, including environmentalists, mental health charities and cyclists.
With "Top Gear" aired in more than 200 countries and watched by 350 million viewers worldwide, his dismissal made headlines around the world.
"I feel like I've climbed out of a bi-plane and into a spaceship," he said of his new job, and in an apparent dig at his previous employer.
Amazon Prime, a subscription service that costs $99 per year or 79 pounds in Britain, offers free delivery to customers in the hope they will shop more with the online retailer.
As a further incentive, Prime members also receive a range of streaming music, movies and TV programmes.
The service, which is estimated to have around 40 million members, is trying along with its rivals to make exclusive video content a key area of differentiation. Where Netflix has 'House of Cards' and 'Orange Is the New Black', Amazon Prime has 'Transparent' and now Clarkson's new motoring show.
Amazon said the new show, to be overseen by the trio's long time executive producer Andy Wilman, will be available globally on the subscription streaming service next year and run for three seasons. It gave no further details of the as-yet unnamed show.
"Top Gear" will continue on the BBC, where Clarkson has been replaced as lead presenter by television personality and DJ Chris Evans.
Clarkson had been on a final warning from the BBC over accusations last year that he had used racist language while filming the show.
Last October, the show also caused controversy when the crew was forced to flee Argentina after driving a Porsche 928 GT with the registration number H982 FKL. That was taken by some in Argentina to refer to the Falklands war which it fought against Britain in 1982.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

And how much of the cost is going to be passed on to the viewer? Well, there's always Kickass! :naughty:

Taken from: - http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33951026

Ex-Top Gear Hosts' Amazon Show to be 'Very Expensive'

"A new show by the former hosts of Top Gear for Amazon's streaming video service will be "very, very, very expensive", the company's founder says.
Jeff Bezos also told the Sunday Telegraph Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are "worth a lot and they know it".
They will front three series of a new motoring programme for Amazon Prime, with the first season due in 2016.
The move follows their departure from the hit BBC Two show earlier this year.
Clarkson's contract was not renewed after an "unprovoked physical attack" on a Top Gear producer. His co-hosts then followed him in leaving the show.
'Golden age of TV'
Mr Bezos said he is "very excited" about the new show.
"We have a lot of things in the pipeline, which I think viewers in the UK and around the world are going to love. And I think Clarkson's new show is going to be one of those.
"I think we're in a golden age of television, so if you go back in time even just five years, you couldn't get A-list talent to do TV serials, or, if you could, it was a rare thing. But that's flipped completely."
He added that serialised TV is currently enjoying "very high investment" and that this bring an increase in the "amount of time you have to tell a story".
"That format change opens up a lot of storytelling possibilities, which, when mixed with the movie-like production standards, and the A-list talent, is why we're seeing amazing television."
The unnamed new car-themed programme will be made with former Top Gear executive producer Andy Wilman, who also quit the BBC following the "fracas".
Mr Wilman has said they had all agreed to a deal with Amazon because "they'll give us the freedom to make the programme we want... there's a budget to produce programmes of the quality we want and this is the future"."

rampart
Novice
Novice

Post by rampart »

Huge fan of Top Gear, it's a bit stupid, but good TV anyway.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting this!!

Matt LeBlanc to be Top Gear co-presenter

Former Friends star Matt LeBlanc is to be one of the new presenters of Top Gear when the motoring programme returns to BBC Two in May.
The US actor will be the show's first non-British host in its 39-year history.
"Matt's a lifelong fellow petrolhead and I'm thrilled he's joining Top Gear," said Chris Evans of his new on-screen colleague.
Additional Top Gear cast members will be confirmed shortly, the BBC said.
"As a car nut and a massive fan of Top Gear, I'm honoured and excited to be a part of this iconic show's new chapter," said LeBlanc. "What a thrill!"

Taken From: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35490238

arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

I suspect the "new" Top Gear will be losing one of its appeals, the eccentric self-deprecation of the British presenters