TOP GEAR

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Re: TOP GEAR

Post by J.J.B. »

If you want to see self-deprecation then you need only watch Matt LeBlanc in 'Episodes' where he plays an exaggerated version of himself. This guy definitely doesn't take himself too seriously.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

topgear.jpg
topgear.jpg (48.02 KiB) Viewed 847 times

The new team. http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35548081

I'm trying desperately hard not to pre-judge this, but...

At least the Beeb are obviously not trying to recreate the old format.
This is the way
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Well i can see at least 4 reasons for not watching it.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

lindosfan1 wrote:Well i can see at least 4 reasons for not watching it.
Ticks all the BBC boxes for PC, diversity. :twisted:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Now that has got to be the definition of overkill....... Good God Almighty :roll:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

arcadianagain wrote:
lindosfan1 wrote:Well i can see at least 4 reasons for not watching it.
Ticks all the BBC boxes for PC, diversity. :twisted:
Just to complete the diversity, hopefully they'll confirm that at least one of them is gay. :laugh:
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

They do all seem to have the complete complement of limbs. Maybe that changes after the first TG challenge?

Kudos to Auntie for even managing to get a ginger in the line-up, now there's a tip o' the hat for diversity!
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ready to go:

View from the driver’s seat

It has caused almost as much debate and controversy in Britain as the looming referendum over the UK’s membership of the EU.

Almost 12 months on from its last episode being aired, BBC motoring show Top Gear comes roaring back on to our screens with a new hosting line-up, a Hollywood star, a female reporter, more fast laps, the same quirky features . . . and The Stig.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/enter ... t-leblanc/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

'FlopGear!': New Top Gear slammed by viewers as they savage Chris Evans' 'poor impression' of Jeremy Clarkson

Chris Evans was blasted by Top Gear viewers after his first episode as host failed to impress them.

The television presenter - who took over hosting the show after the high-profile exits of Jeremy Clarkson , Richard Hammond and James May - made his debut on the BBC Two motoring show on Sunday night but it didn't set the world alight.

"Chris Evans is narrating like he's talking to a simpleton #TopGear," tweeted one viewer.

"If Chris Evans didn't speak this might actually be good," said another while a third said: "Not a fan of Evans' commentary, he sounds too patronising. Fake emphasis throughout all of it."

Others said Evans was too busy trying to sound like former host Clarkson with his inflections and vocal patterns.

"It seems like he's trying to be Clarkson," one tweeted while another said: "5 minutes in and it's clear that Chris Evans is just trying to be Jeremy Clarkson.

"A poor man's Clarkson at best."

Source: http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/reviews/f ... lsignoutmd
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Just watched the first episode and... I quite liked it. It probably helps that I've only seen an episode or 2 of the original show, I'm not a huge fan of Jeremy Clarkson and am a fan of Matt le Blanc (seen all the friends' episodes thrice :oops: ).

Seems I may be very much the minority. :shock:

"Evans mocked as 'a poor man's Clarkson'"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... liant.html

"Evans accused of copying the old gaurd"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -Gear.html

"It's lost the spark of genius"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eries.html
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

HHTel wrote:
Chris Evans was blasted by Top Gear viewers after his first episode as host failed to impress them.

"If Chris Evans didn't speak this might actually be good," said another while a third said: "Not a fan of Evans' commentary, he sounds too patronising. Fake emphasis throughout all of it."

Well, I've watched half of it so far and I'm not impressed either. I have to be honest and say it was extremely unlikely Evans was ever going to impress me, as I can't abide the man.

Skipping around the hangar/studio in attempt to whip up the crowd, a multimillionnaire dressing like an impoverished student, disqualified from being a 'ginge' and technically a 'baldy' (I looked this up as I thought he was wearing an obvious toupee - he isn't, he just has an obvious hair transplant), with a non-stop, high tenor wail that never descends to conversational level, he sounds more like he's presenting It's a Knockout than Top Gear.

He's a 50 year-old trying to be a 20 yr-old and making a pretty poor fist of it...

The whole thing is clearly scripted and read from a prompt screen. That may have been the case with Clarkson et al, but if so they did it better. Matt le Blanc - not bad, but it's all about Evans, so far at least, and I can see that becoming increasingly irritating.
The first 2 guest stars were pretty mediocre at best, considering this is the flagship opening to the much-heralded new series.

I've managed to raise a couple of mild chuckles so far. If it comes down to Evans vs. Clarkson, then it's Clarkson every time for me. He is undoubtedly a self-opinionated arse, but at least he's intelligent, articulate and amusing...

Oh, and the 3-wheelers - why start the show with something that's been done before (and done much better)??

Okay, rant over... <phew>.
I'll watch the rest later.
This is the way
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

Just watched it on iPlayer.

Another hour and a bit out of my life I've wasted. I'll certainly give next weeks effort a miss..........Boring.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I watched it. From the start I found CE very false, very loud. I think what was the most disappointing thing about the programme was that initially TG was a very British programme and now it's turned very American. I am not anti USA programmes but I think they have spoiled it by adding the US but. I also like MLB.
I think maybe CE was trying too hard and it back fired like an old banger!
I also hated bragging chef Gordon Ramsay showing off his car,, and the new car on order I hate that sort of bragging. Botox and new teeth don't suit him BTW!
Still no doubt I will give it another bash, there are some F1 chaps on it.
My verdict was not good.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Agree with much of the above, also the UK v USA thing is going to get very annoying, very quickly, if it continues.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

‘Top Gear’ doesn’t reinvent wheel — but sticks in second....according to the Financial Times.

Mr Siani also agrees :P

With the prospect of Clarkson’s rival programme roaring up in its rear-view mirror later this year, CE will have to pull his socks up!

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/68cc41a4-25e1 ... z4A7zcDThs