Documentaries

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Documentaries

Post by Homer »

Room 237

Theories about the meaning of Stanley Kubrick's 'The Shining'

Kubrick was fastidious - nothing appeared in frame unless he intended it. What would be a continuity goof in other films is Kubrick feeding the audience symbols. Some fans obsessively deconstruct the film. This documentary covers some of them, each as a 'chapter'. The director presents all without favor or criticism.

He took a novel approach to what could have been pretty boring. We never see the people explaining their theories. Instead, we see relevant footage from The Shining and other Kubrick films. When the deconstructionist is talking in general terms, the directory shows footage from all over the movie map that somehow fits and works.

You may find some of the theories plausible or all of them ludicrous, but you can't dismiss everything as coincidence. And I guarantee that unless you've dove deep into one of the theories you will be surprised often at what is unmistakably in the screen that most missed until DVDs or BluRays allowed high resolution single frame images. For example, the magazine Nicholson was reading in the hotel lobby while waiting for his interview:
shining-magazine-1.jpg
shining-magazine-1.jpg (31.69 KiB) Viewed 12706 times
That's Playgirl, and yes, it matches one of their real covers.

In all but room 237, the carpet has a hexagonal pattern of browns, orange, and red. In room 237:
carpet2.jpg
Sheathed purple penises. Room 237 is the only room where sex is depicted.

Torrents at http://torrentz.eu/search?f=room+237
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Have just watched a BBC documentary on the Thai - Burma railway called "Building Burma's Death Railway: Moving Half The Mountain". Whilst I've seen several documentaries on the subject, this really was one of the best IMHO. Interviews with several of the Japanese soldiers and Allied POW's involved, with several "conflicting views" on the treatment of the POW's.

With the unbelievable hardship and conditions these guys went through, it's incredible to see/listen to their stories and see their sense of humour. The younger generation of today need to know this history........ Christ, I'm starting to sound like my old man!! :oops:

Certainly available on BBC iPlayer, but no doubt also available on the usual download sites.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Which BBC channel was it shown on, and what day was it shown please?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

BBC 4 2nd April 2014

I downloaded it from PirateBay
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: Thanks sateeb, that'll explain why I can't find on the last 7 days Expat TV.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

sateeb wrote:BBC 4 2nd April 2014

I downloaded it from PirateBay
What did you key in for the search? Tried it but no hits

Edit............Got it using 'moving half the mountain'
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Post by zeitgeist »

It's on youtube in HD.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

pharvey wrote:Have just watched a BBC documentary on the Thai - Burma railway called "Building Burma's Death Railway: Moving Half The Mountain". Whilst I've seen several documentaries on the subject, this really was one of the best IMHO. Interviews with several of the Japanese soldiers and Allied POW's involved, with several "conflicting views" on the treatment of the POW's.

With the unbelievable hardship and conditions these guys went through, it's incredible to see/listen to their stories and see their sense of humour. The younger generation of today need to know this history........ Christ, I'm starting to sound like my old man!! :oops:

Certainly available on BBC iPlayer, but no doubt also available on the usual download sites.

Excellent documentary and makes me realise that I've been lucky in life as I've never had to be involved in a war.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Just finished watching a 3 part documentary focusing on the exploits and engineering of two of the true greats - Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Robert Stephenson. The series also briefly looking at some of the other influential engineers of the time and their contributions (and hindrances in some cases) to Brunel's and Stephenson's work (as well as their own).

"Men of Iron" really is extremely well done IMHO and looks at the professional rivalry between Brunel and Stephenson, their personal friendship and of course their achievements and incredible contributions to the industrial age and the modern world. Absolutely incredible really when you think about it..........

Note: Channel 4 (UK) documentary.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Northern Soul: Living for the Weekend - From BBC Four

Kids in depressing Northern towns dance all night to second and third rate Motown-influenced music. Interesting history of the scene, how it evolved and died. Downside is it was repetitive, reusing the same dance film clips, talking to the same people. Finding new music was central to the scene, but precious little of any music was played.

Fifty five minutes long, but it could have told the same story in half that. Worth a watch for a Yank who's knowledge of the region and youth culture in the era is limited to the movie Quadrophenia and the origin stories of the band Black Sabbath.

Torrents: http://torrentz.ch/search?f=bbc+norther ... ng+weekend
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Just watched a documentary on HBOS (true visions 225) called, 'Teen Killers: A Second Chance' and it was gripping. I don't think I've ever used the word 'gripping' before. :D It follows the rehabilitation of young teenage killers. I'm not sure if it was a one off or if there's gonna be more. I checked YouTube but there's nothing.

I usually put on a documentary from YouTube in the evening to fall asleep to. I reckon I've probably watched every (decent) documentary available on YouTube. Most of the crap ones too.

Worth a watch in my opinion.

:cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Always interested in regional documentaries and this one gives a good insight to life along the Mekong River and how it is about to change forever with the mass construction of dams by the Chinese: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04plh4f

For nature lovers Attenborough's Life in the Undergrowth currently playing on BBC2 is well worth a watch: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007y9sd
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

A short documentary about the Deep South and the insurgency there.

http://linkis.com/www.globalpost.com/d/Skh1M
buksida

Post by buksida »

Another two I've enjoyed currently showing on Expat TV are:

Bangkok Airport
An amusing look into life in the airport, the staff, the problems and some of the idiotic Brits coming to Thailand that no doubt give us all a bad name.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b050gnrd

British Isles: A Natural History
Looks like a re-run of an older documentary, all fascinating stuff though.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/program ... tishisles/

I'd forgotten about this one that I saw whilst travelling through Burma:

Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479468/

Here is the trailer:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

I've just received an email telling me about this website : http://documentaryaddict.com/

It has nearly 5,000 documentaries sorted into 26 categories. I clicked on the first one highlighted on the home page, The Secrets of Underground Britain, and it started playing straight away on Youtube so no need to download.

I've literally just found it this morning so not enough time yet to explore it fully so apologies if it's useless but first signs look promising.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.