Documentaries

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Documentaries

Post by GLCQuantum »

^

Thanks Pagey. Good site that.

:cheers:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

This is the most cringe worthy lifestyle documentary i have ever seen related to Thailand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... e-8-khanom
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Without Gallipoli, we’d have no Page 3

James Delingpole finds a new documentary about Rupert Murdoch’s journalist father - Gallipoli: When Murdoch Went To War - a fascinating eye-opener

http://www.spectator.co.uk/arts/televis ... elingpole/

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=Ga ... =yfp-t-903
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

The Mekong river is about 4500 km long. If you follow the link, you can have a glimpse of the life along its shores, from Tibet to Vietnam.

http://www.rfa.org/english/multimedia/M ... 10500.html

Excellent 22 short (around 5 minutes each) documentaries about the life along the mighty Mekong river. This river is very dear to me and also all the six countries that it runs through are those that I like very much. From the high plateaus of Tibet, through the beautiful province of Yunnan, then for a short spell being a border between Burma and Laos, it enters the heartland of Laos. It also forms the border of Laos and Thailand for long stretches before flowing into Cambodia and then finally to southern Vietnam where it empties its waters into South China Sea. There are numerous peoples living along this area, besides the majorities of these countries, and some of those are also featured in the documentaries.

I’ve visited all these six countries for shorter or longer periods, longest being the 19 years I lived in Thailand and I’ve now waded through the waters of Mekong by watching these documentaries. Wonderful descriptions of problems the people living by and from the river face. I warmly recommend this Mekong Diaries series. Most of the problems here have been caused because of the dams built in China and other countries and more of them are planned. Of course, this will bring modernization and benefits to some but is everything being considered carefully? What will happen in the future? It doesn’t look good.

I’ve seen Mekong from Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. I’ve seen Burma from its shores in Golden Triangle area. The only area where I have not seen this river, yet, is Yunnan, China. Hopefully one day, I’ll be able to do that. For those who have never been to this part of the world, it gives a good idea, what life used to be and to some extent, still is in South-Western China and South-East Asia.

Those friends who participated in our team in the dragon boat race on Pranburi river in (was it?) 2006, at least watch the document number 18 and compare the teams to ours of that time.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Interesting stuff BG

I too am very fond of the Mekong as a wonder of nature - it is a crime to see how it is being dammed and generally wrecked by human greed and stupidity. :cuss:

For me the main interest is of course the Giant Mekong Catfish - now practically extinct in it's native river. The 40 or so specimens that I have at the Lodge are very prized indeed.

As for that boat race - fond memories indeed, of a bunch of idiots having a blast. I will never forget the atmosphere on the day of the race - great fun. My arms are still aching.......................... :cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

They talked about the Giant Mekong Catfish in one part of the series but I can't remember its number.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Lambert & Stamp

Pete Townshend called them the 5th and 6th members of The Who. Lambert and Stamp met while working in a London film studio. The two became friends and found they had similar views of how Britain and the youth were changing and how both fit into a larger view of life. They decided to make a film about the rock scene. They searched for the right band for months, one that was "rebellious, anarchistic and uniquely different from the established English pop scene,". They found The Who, then performing as The High Numbers. Lambert and Stamp became the managers, leading, guiding and influencing the band.

This isn't a documentary about The Who, it's about Lambert and Stamp. The Who is often shown in film clips from the era, both performing and talkng. Daltry and Townsend appear often in interviews filmed in the last few years.

A fascinating story, at least until personal relationships start to sour.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Hitchcock/Truffaut

Truffaut was an internationally recognized brilliantly innovative director. His days of conversations with Hitchcock, whom he thought was a brilliant director, were the source for his 1966 book "Cinema According to Hitchcock" The film world to reassessed Hitchcock and agreed.

In the documentary filmmakers discuss how Francois Truffaut's book influenced their work.

Trailer

The film is not yet available on the intertubes. The book is: https://kat.cr/hitchcock-revised-editio ... 32481.html
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Meru 2015

If this documentary was presented as fiction or as 'based on a true story', few would believe it. They'd believe 2 generations of the best Himalayan climbers had tried and failed. They'd believe the route's extreme difficulty, and the fitness needed for such climbing without oxygen to 6310 m (20,700').
Meru-Sharks-Fin_33455.jpg
Meru-Sharks-Fin_33455.jpg (73.1 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
What's hard to fathom is the climber's perseverance though adversity and the seemingly rational decisions about risk made before and during the climb. Even knowing professional climbers are bat-sh*t crazy, It's stunning to see climbers suffer through a failed attempt and then trying again. What tips the story into the unbelievable is each climber's perseverance through physical and/or emotional traumas that didn't happen while climbing.

What sets Meru apart from other climbing documentaries is the human drama. No time is wasted on why they climb, it's how they deal with risk, why they focused on this route, what they tell their families - and what they don't. The 2 wives perspectives are an integral part of the story. The candor continues on the climb, with realistic assessments of their physical condition, their situation, prospects for success, the risks, and reactions to the adversity.

The cinematography and editing is excellent. Two of the 3 man team have made films of theirs and others adventures. Sponsor money provided climber/videographer teams on the lower terrain, long telephoto coverage of other parts and even some helicopter footage.

Highly recommended. Don't watch the trailer, it gives away too much of the story (don't they all?)
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Homer wrote:Meru 2015

If this documentary was presented as fiction or as 'based on a true story', few would believe it. They'd believe 2 generations of the best Himalayan climbers had tried and failed. They'd believe the route's extreme difficulty, and the fitness needed for such climbing without oxygen to 6310 m (20,700').
Meru-Sharks-Fin_33455.jpg
What's hard to fathom is the climber's perseverance though adversity and the seemingly rational decisions about risk made before and during the climb. Even knowing professional climbers are bat-sh*t crazy, It's stunning to see climbers suffer through a failed attempt and then trying again. What tips the story into the unbelievable is each climber's perseverance through physical and/or emotional traumas that didn't happen while climbing.

What sets Meru apart from other climbing documentaries is the human drama. No time is wasted on why they climb, it's how they deal with risk, why they focused on this route, what they tell their families - and what they don't. The 2 wives perspectives are an integral part of the story. The candor continues on the climb, with realistic assessments of their physical condition, their situation, prospects for success, the risks, and reactions to the adversity.

The cinematography and editing is excellent. Two of the 3 man team have made films of theirs and others adventures. Sponsor money provided climber/videographer teams on the lower terrain, long telephoto coverage of other parts and even some helicopter footage.

Highly recommended. Don't watch the trailer, it gives away too much of the story (don't they all?)
Looks good, where did you find it?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

migrant wrote:Looks good, where did you find it?
Piratebay has 5 torrents. I watched the 720p BRRip by ETRG
https://thepiratebay.la/search/meru%202015/0/99/0
PeteC

BBC Earth

Post by PeteC »

Let me recommend this service as it's filled with interesting info and photos. Below is a photo expo on Japan. See index at top of their page to explore the site more. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20151125 ... 2015_earth
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: BBC Earth

Post by StevePIraq »

For me I thought the following was amazing

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20151027 ... vel-in-60s
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
MajorBloodnok
Suspended
Suspended

BBC Documentary on the pitfalls of Thai nightlife

Post by MajorBloodnok »

Hello,

this is Part 1 of an excellent 8-part BBC documentary.
The remaining parts are available on YouTube.

Kind regards,

MB
A GRATEFUL GUEST OF THE KINGDOM OF THAILAND & HER PEOPLE
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: BBC Documentary on the pitfalls of Thai nightlife

Post by caller »

I didn't know that was on you tube. I remember watching these a few years back now.
Talk is cheap