Documentaries

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
moja
Guru
Guru

Re: Documentaries

Post by moja »

Try deleting the programmes that will not download and just start again this usually works; if necessary pause all other down/uploads until the one you wants starts to download then slowly reintroduce the others again.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

buksida wrote:WTF? Also using uTorrent, what ISP are you on? When did you download it? Trying to work out what the problem here is, BBC Prehistoric America is coming in just fine so it can't be the ISP.
Right now - in rain soaked Hanoi :?

As Moja said - just wait or reload - it usually works
buksida

Post by buksida »

Tried all that - no joy, its getting on my tats now ... :cuss:

Others work, just got MiB III in under an hour.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

OK so just leave it there and one day you will look and it will be 50% downloaded without you having a clue as to why it has started! Have you left your computer on over night? Sometimes that works.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I've had trouble if I download more than 5 at a time. I limit it to five and haven't had a problem yet, all on Utorrent
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Upgraded uTorrent and they started downloading, albeit painfully slowly.

Back to documentaries:
Charley Boorman - By Any Means
Charley travels from Ireland to Sydney using all modes of transport except planes: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291484/

BBC Wild Series
Excellent wildlife documentaries from the BBC Natural History Unit.
Wild China
Wild Africa
Wild South America
Wild Indonesia
Wild Caribbean
Wild Australia
Wild Europe

Torrent sites are patchy, most are on The Box but you cant download unless you upload, some can be found on VeeHD. Still trying to download these so if anyone has any good resources (that are not torrents) please post them.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Charley Boorman - By Any Means

Thanks for the reminder Buksi

No footy on TV in Hanoi this weekend - so downloading the 'couch entertainment' as I write.

:cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I've just watched a very interesting documentary called STORYVILLE: GOOGLE & THE WORLD BRAIN (BBC 4)

It's mostly about the Google project to digitise the world's books, which isn't quite dead yet, but is definitely not well.

I'm not really a technophobe, but I suppose I could fairly be described as a slowly evolving technodinosaur, and a lot of the ideas and opinions were quite new to me. They even touched on the idea that in the not-too-distant future, we will all in effect be walking CCTV cameras for Google.

The arguments on either side are for another thread, but the upshot of this (probably) failed project seems to be that libraries in Europe and the US have been inspired to begin creating their own digital libraries whose contents will be freely available to the public. That's what they say, anyway.

Anyway, very interesting, and a very global look at the issue.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I've just watched a fantastic documentary called THE BEATLES, PLEASE PLEASE ME, REMAKING A CLASSIC (BBC 4). It celebrates the recording of the Beatles' 1st album (in one day) by having assorted singers/bands/musicians do the same, under similar time constraints, live on Radio 50 years later.

Some great artists, great performances, interesting interviews - an absolute gem that I will definitely keep on my hard drive.
This is the way
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Searching for Sugar Man

Almost passed on this one because of the title. Really glad I didn't. From IMDB with my editiing in braces:

In the early 1970s, Sixto Rodriguez was a Detroit folksinger who had a short-lived recording career with only two well received but non-selling albums. Unknown to Rodriguez, his musical story continued in South Africa where he became a pop music icon and inspiration for generations [and, most importantly, the message in the songs fit perfectly with the beliefs and motivations of the white anit-apartheid movement. Rodriguez's music was the soundtrack of a revolution]. Long rumored there to be dead by suicide, a few fans in the 1990s decided to seek out the truth of their hero's fate. What follows is a bizarrely heartening story in which they found far more in their quest than they ever hoped, while a Detroit construction laborer discovered that his lost artistic dreams came true after all.

Imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2125608/
Rotten Tomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/searchi ... sugar_man/
Get yer torrents here: http://torrentz.eu/search?f=searching+for+sugar+man
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dtaai-maai wrote:I've just watched a fantastic documentary called THE BEATLES, PLEASE PLEASE ME, REMAKING A CLASSIC (BBC 4). It celebrates the recording of the Beatles' 1st album (in one day)
Agree with that. I recorded it when it was shown a week or so ago and watched it at the weekend. I was wondering whether the new versions, some very different to the originals, would end up as a released album?
Talk is cheap
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Homer wrote:Searching for Sugar Man
Forgot to mention it won an Oscar and BAFTA for Best Documentary.

I wonder how many 'best' film winners had their funding cut off when the film was 90% done? The fiilmmaker finished shooting with an iPhone app, then used his laptop apps to edit the film and create the score. After it was accepted as the opening night film at the Sundance Film Festival, his former money source asked if they could give the filmmaker some more money. Story at http://www.moviescopemag.com/features/s ... to-screen/
buksida

Post by buksida »

BBC Wild Arabia
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p013y0dy

Some absolutely stunning HD wildlife videography and a lot of things I never knew about the region. Well worth watching.
buksida

Post by buksida »

BBC Two Rise of the Continents

This is a gem for natural history and geology buffs, learned a few new things myself ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01993gc

Currently running on Expat TV.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I've just watched the first of 2 episodes of Whicker's War, a documentary account of his experiences as a very young officer in Italy in the AFPU (Film/photography Unit). Made in 2004. Classic Whicker.
This is the way