TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: TV series worth downloading

Post by GLCQuantum »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Pagey wrote:
Arlo wrote:Making a Murderer
Filmed over a 10-year period, Making a Murderer is an unprecedented real-life thriller about Steven Avery, a DNA exoneree who, while in the midst of exposing corruption in local law enforcement, finds himself the prime suspect in a grisly new crime. Set in America's heartland, the series takes viewers inside a high-stakes criminal case where reputation is everything and things are never as they appear.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5189670/
I just finished the series on Netflix and it really sucks you in. If you have the time, give it a go. If you like true crime you will be hooked after the first episode. You can watch the first episode on YouTube. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=34M2zdLc-2U
Thanks Arlo.
I watched episode 1 on my laptop in the afternoon and I thought that was story over........ended up last night watching episodes 2-5 and only stopped there as it was midnight! More viewing tonight. :cheers:
Thanks for posting this, Arlo. I'm not sure I'd describe this as a thriller, but it's certainly gripping and compulsive viewing IMO and a glimpse of the dark side of small town rural USA. It made me quite angry and indignant at times.

In all honesty, I have to say that I got the distinct impression that the only people who had any real grasp of their job and their responsibilities were the 2 defence lawyers in the principal Avery case. How the boy Brendon was found guilty escapes me completely, but how all his appeals were refused is even more appalling. Innocent or guilty, this was a comprehensive indictment of the US legal system and a classic example of how there is one law for the rich and another for the poor and of the perils of trial by media.

I could write reams on this fascinating and horrifying series, but I'll spare you... I do strongly recommend watching this, however. You can download it from a number of sources.
Thanks for the heads up on this guys. I'm a bit 'movied out' at the moment so trawled through the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread to get started on downloading a series. I've watched the first 2 episodes today (episode 3 should be down in about 10 minutes :D ) and it's a really gripping documentary and just what the doctor ordered.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Homer wrote:Mr. Robot - Season 2

In many critics opinions, Season 1 was one of the best cable dramas last year
Forgot to mention episode 10 of Season 1 has a scene after the closing credits. Many missed it. It's not essential, but it does set up season 2.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

"Rake" is back with season 4. The first couple of episodes weren't to my liking, but since then it has picked up and is as funny as ever.

The Night Of has received fine reviews. Episode 1 available on the usual sites. Haven't watched it yet.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Further to the Making a Murderer discussion a couple of pages back:

"Making a Murderer fans have found new evidence that can prove Steven Avery's innocence"

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/Making- ... 383864.htm
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The Night Of has received fine reviews. Episode 1 available on the usual sites. Haven't watched it yet.
This is an outstanding show from HBO. I just power watched the first 6 episodes yesterday and today and "couldn't put it down". I can't wait for episode 7 next week. It was originally scheduled to be an 8 episode mini-series but due to rave reviews HBO is in talks about a second season. If I were you I'd download all 8 episodes the last 2 of which will air in the next two weeks before I start to watch as you will want more immediately after each episode.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

hhfarang wrote:
This is an outstanding show from HBO. I just power watched the first 6 episodes yesterday and today and "couldn't put it down". I can't wait for episode 7 next week. It was originally scheduled to be an 8 episode mini-series but due to rave reviews HBO is in talks about a second season. If I were you I'd download all 8 episodes the last 2 of which will air in the next two weeks before I start to watch as you will want more immediately after each episode.
I watched episode 1 last night and noticed at the credits it says it is based on a BBC drama called Criminal Justice.
This from Wikipedia : Criminal Justice is a British television drama series produced by the BBC and first shown in 2008. Written by Peter Moffat, each five-episode series follows the journey of an individual through the justice system and was first broadcast over five successive nights on BBC One.

The first series, first shown in 2008, starred Ben Whishaw as Ben Coulter, a young man who is accused of murder after a drunken and drug-filled night out, though is unable to remember committing the crime. It was directed by Otto Bathurst and Luke Watson. In 2009, the second series featured Maxine Peake as troubled housewife Juliet Miller whose husband was stabbed in their bed. Yann Demange and Marc Jobst directed the second series.

The first series won two British Academy Television Awards for Best Drama Serial and Best Writer, three Royal Television Society Awards and an International Emmy. The first season has been re-made into a HBO miniseries The Night Of, starring John Turturro and Riz Ahmed.

Just checked youtube and some if not all are on there. Another one to download. :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

hhfarang wrote:This is an outstanding show from HBO. I just power watched the first 6 episodes yesterday and today and "couldn't put it down".
Glad you liked it. I could barely finish the first episode. Excellent acting, locations and cinematography. What killed it for me was everything in the story development was by the numbers. There is no suspense when one knows what is going to happen next. The show runner must have thought he was creating suspense, otherwise he wouldn't have crammed 20 minutes of story into 1+ hr.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

[quote="hhfarang"]Further to the Making a Murderer discussion a couple of pages back:

"Making a Murderer fans have found new evidence that can prove Steven Avery's innocence"

The nephew, Brendan Dassey has had his conviction overturned.

http://news.sky.com/story/brendan-dasse ... d-10533863
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

"The Creators Of 'Making A Murderer' Respond To Brendan Dassey's Conviction Being Overturned"

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/creators-makin ... 48136.html
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

The Expanse

Sci-Fi Mystery/Thriller set in a political powder keg. A hardened detective hunts a missing heiress. A freighter responds to a ship's distress call by sending a shuttle. The detective and the shuttle crew dig deeper, unaware of each other, unaware their incidents are connected.

The story develops slowly. Characters develop, people who either don't know each other or don't like each other are learning to work together because they have to. The mystery broadens. Johnathan Banks and Jared Harris steal scenes in small but essential roles.

It's on Sy-Fy so the are fights, explosions, and bits of everyday stuff from the future that one hasn't seen on screen before.

10 episode season 1 is done. Season 2 will air next year. Found wherever fine bits are torrented.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

'The Great Indoors'. New for fall. The presentation to the Television Critics Association may be funnier than the show.

The show mocks millennials (Brits: that's a US generation). One of their traits is a lack of sense of humor about themselves. During the presentation, millennial members of the media (MMM) took offense to the show. The Producer and the lead actor replied by mocking what the MMM just said. Needless to say, the humor-challenged MMMs took the mocking responses as serious answers, completely misunderstanding.

http://louderwithcrowder.com/new-sitcom ... 7Ux7fkrJD9
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Narcos season 2 dropped today.
Homer wrote:Narcos

Excellent. Engrossing fictionalized story of Pablo Escobar and the Medellin Cartel, starting at the beginning. Tight, fast paced story, often as coolly efficient as the characters. Of course it's violent and sexy but there is some humor - and dark humor. For added realism they filmed in Colombia. The Colombian characters are subtitled when speaking in Spanish.

One of the US DEA agents does voice over, much like the lead character in Goodfellas. It works well. It eliminates necessary but boring scenes, reinforces key points we need to understand the story, fills in backstory, explains more about the characters than shown in scenes.

A Netflix original series. All episodes dropped on the 25th. If I had faster internet I'd be binge watching.
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

I am enjoying this:
100 code
New York, USA. Stockholm, Sweden. Over the past twelve months young, blonde, blue-eyed women have been found dead in a meadow where Asphodel flowers grow. New York Detective Tommy Conley gets a special dispensation from the NYPD to go observe and act as an adviser to the Stockholm Police Department in order to help solve these crimes.
buksida

Post by buksida »

This looks like it has a lot of potential ...

Westworld
A series inspired by the 1973 film of the same title written by Michael Crichton about a futuristic theme park populated by artificial beings.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784/?ref_=nv_sr_1
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

One of Us: a four-part series filmed in Scotland. Watched the first episode last night, and it's gripping.

This is the plot from IMBd: A horrific double murder rocks the lives of two families living side-by-side in isolated rural Scotland. But instead of focusing on the investigation, One Of Us explores the fallout for the grieving relatives, and the dark consequences that threaten to shatter their lives.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"