TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Re: TV series worth downloading

Post by pharvey »

^ Great news! Thoroughly enjoyed the first two seasons. :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up Homer.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Manhunt: Unabomber

Based on a true story. Fifteen years after the FBI picked up the Unabomber case, they were still no closer to identifying him. Then a brilliant rookie profiler arrives from the FBI academy in 1995. Story follows 2 timelines. One follows the FBI's progress from '95 on, the other is in '97 when the Unabomber is in custody, refusing to talk with anyone except the profiler. Two episodes have aired, I found them on piratebay.

Ozark

Imagine if Breaking Bad started with Walt telling his wife he cooked meth and was in deep trouble. In Ozark, the man is a financial advisor who is laundering cash for the second largest Mexican drug cartel. Most reviewers say we've seen all this before, except Ozark doesn't pay enough attention to the family problems. Fans rate it much higher, as they're probably the ones who watched Breaking Bad for the violence, solving the problems of doing the crime without getting caught, and watching the keen mind of Walt outfox the cartel. After one episode and a trailer, Ozark delivers and seems it will continue to deliver on those elements.

Dropped on Netflix on July 21.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

buksida wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:40 pm The Handmaid's Tale
Running now on UK channel 4 I think, but you can access the whole series on Kodi or torrents.

I remember reading this for my English Lit A-level, a powerful book set in a dystopian future where a woman lives as a concubine under a religious right wing regime.

The series is well made: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5834204/
I've just finished reading the book (recommended by my Mum), and thoroughly enjoyed it. Although 'enjoy' may be the wrong word to use, as it's not a feel good book It is, however, brilliantly written. I'm a great fan of Margaret Atwood, and 'The Blind Assassin' is No.1 on my best books ever read list.

Got the Handmaid's Tale downloaded, and can't wait to watch it. I hope I'm not disappointed.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Homer wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm Manhunt: Unabomber

Two episodes have aired, I found them on piratebay.
Not watched yet, but certainly sounds like my "cup of tea"!! :thumb:

Also available here as live stream: - https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/manhunt-unabomber/
Homer wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm
Ozark

Not too sure about this one, but as I pay for Netflix, I'll certainly give it a go! :thumb:

Thanks for sharing Homer.

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Not new but 2 UK sitcoms:

Detectorists - very gentle English comedy, two series so far. Completely loved this.

Count Arthur Strong - gentle English comedy. second episode first series has the best bits so far but all good. Third series just showing now.

Neither have lots of shouting and swearing but plenty of poignancy. The comedy comes from the script.

I also second two recommendations above, Billions (2 seasons, American drama with the amazing Damien Lewis playing an American as usual), and Line of Duty (UK series, Season 4 is the latest and best, no need to watch the first 3 first) - she's one scary woman.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 amBillions (2 seasons, American drama with the amazing Damien Lewis playing an American as usual)
+1. Paul Giamatti is excellent as the federal prosecutor trying to catch Damien. The story lines and characters are just over the top enough to be compelling and surprising, but not so far as to be ridiculous.

Season 1 is essential to understanding season 2.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 am
Detectorists - very gentle English comedy, two series so far. Completely loved this.
I also enjoy it for different reasons. A lot of it is filmed in Framlingham where I lived, went to school and worked. It's helped in putting this small market town on the map (along with Ed Sheeran).

Thanks for reminding me to download the next series.

VS :cheers:
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Vital Spark wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:03 am
404cameljockey wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:05 am
I also enjoy it for different reasons. A lot of it is filmed in Framlingham where I lived, went to school and worked. It's helped in putting this small market town on the map (along with Ed Sheeran).

Thanks for reminding me to download the next series.

VS :cheers:
Should be coming soon and they say sadly will be the last.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Season 2 of Detectorists aired nearly 2 years ago.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Secrets of Silicon Valley - BB2 documentary - is an interesting insight into the digital world. Just watched Ep.1, got Ep.2 ready to watch. At first I was a bit irritated by the narrator, but as the programme progressed it/he got better.

VS
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

pharvey wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:07 pm
Homer wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm Manhunt: Unabomber

Two episodes have aired, I found them on piratebay.
Not watched yet, but certainly sounds like my "cup of tea"!! :thumb:

Also available here as live stream: - https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/manhunt-unabomber/
Homer wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:02 pm
Ozark

Not too sure about this one, but as I pay for Netflix, I'll certainly give it a go! :thumb:

Thanks for sharing Homer.

I've watched 2 episodes of Ozark and am hooked...has the potential to be up there with the Breaking Bad's and Boardwalk Empire. Great stuff.

! Episode of Unabonber..brilliant!!!
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

On the subject of "TV series worth downloading" what sites are people using these days to download programmes - in the past I have used Kickass but not done anything lately?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I still use Pirate Bay https://thepiratebay.org/
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:24 am I still use Pirate Bay https://thepiratebay.org/
Some things haven't been making it onto there recently. Current backups:
https://rarbg.to/torrents.php
http://1337x.to/
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

sateeb wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:56 am Season 2 of Detectorists aired nearly 2 years ago.
Do you want a gold star?
Still waiting for the promised third series to air.