TV series worth watching/downloading

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Re: TV series worth downloading

Post by pharvey »

For the "Trekkies" amongst us - the latest in the Star Trek Franchise "Star Trek Discovery". Up to Episode 3 now and it's looking good! I've been watching on Netflix, but I'm sure the usual suspects will have at least the first two episodes for download. Never got into the likes of "Deep Space 9", but this I'm enjoying. :thumb:

"Created by Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman for CBS All Access, the story of "Star Trek: Discovery" begins roughly a decade before Captain Kirk's five-year mission -- as portrayed in the original "Star Trek" from the 1960s -- and a century before the events of "Star Trek: Enterprise." The series follows the crew of the USS Discovery as they encounter new worlds and civilizations, delving into familiar themes and expanding upon an incident that has been talked about within the franchise's universe, but never fully explored."

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Just finished the second series of Doctor Foster (BBC drama, 5 eps.) It's necessary to watch the first series first.

I'm drained, it was so good. It's a tragedy in the true sense of the word, and I think the acting of the main characters is stellar if harrowing at times.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Mindhunter

Excellent. Highly recommended, if you like this sort of drama. In the late 1970s two FBI agents fight to expand criminal science into what is now called 'profiling' by delving into the psychology of murder and getting uneasily close to all-too-real monsters.

Executive Producer David Fincher's (directed Se7en, Fight Club, Zodiac, The Social Network, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl) handiwork is all over this project. One reviewer said "the 10-episode first season is so in tune with Fincher’s sensibilities that it plays almost like a TV series version of Zodiac." Fincher directed the first and last 2 episodes of Season 1. Netflix hired some excellent writers. Four of the 5 wrote for Mad Men.

Quotes from rotten tomatoes:
Netflix's Mindhunter finds a different path around the cliches, by showing how they were created in the first place.
Even though we know criminal profiling becomes the norm, it's enlightening to see Ford and Tench fight for the right to ask questions and watch in horror as they get answers.
Beautifully composed and tensely paced, Mindhunter is darkly addictive. The show deals with more than a few disturbing concepts and cases - those with a weaker constitution for such grim matters may find the stark details a little challenging to bear.
First season dropped on Netflix this week.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/mindhunter/s01/
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

pharvey wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:32 pm Have been watching the latest series of "Great Canal Journeys" with Timothy West and Prunella Scales. I know I've mentioned this one previously, but this is just a wonderful series for those who enjoy travel and have a sense of fun/romance/humour.

It's on CH4 in the UK (see http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grea ... ode-guide/), but available on Youtube and I'm sure the usual sites. Well worth the watch! :thumb:

P.S. And for Mr VS, there's a great one where they travel the "Caledonian"..... superb! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
I only just saw your heads up, thank you! I only saw the first two series, I am downloading all the others as I type, what a feast! :)

I love those two, he's a proper grumpy old man sometimes (usually at the locks), and they have such a sweet relationship.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

You know when sometimes you just want a short, funny programme to watch to kill 30 minutes, or give you a belly laugh. Here's the remedy: Harry & Paul. For the uninitiated that's Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse. A wonderful combination of two extremely talented entertainers. The series isn't new, but is easy to find on torrent sites.

Somehow missed your post, PH. Sounds right up our alley (or canal). Thanks. :cheers:

VS :D
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

A little taster of one of the sketches:

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Babylon Berlin

Had to download, then watch 2 episodes back to back after reading this:

It's a declaration of love to the exalted lifestyle of Berlin of the 1920s. Director Tom Tykwer ... felt strongly about this: "The story is set in a city going through a cultural explosion, an abrupt decline of moral standards and complete upheaval. Back then, different artists from all over came together, and simply came up with something radically new."

The TV series "Babylon Berlin" features all the well-documented excesses of the Weimar Republic: wild dance scenes, bitter poverty and glamorous wealth, explicit sex scenes in nightclubs and the noisy threat of violence by the up-and-coming Nazis.
Plus violence by criminals, cops and Russians.

http://www.dw.com/en/babylon-berlin-the ... a-40965401

German production with English subtitles. Copies with hardcoded subtitles on PirateBay are by a user with a well deserved reputation for only uploading the best shows and adding high quality subtitles.

Now on Sky Atlantic.

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Two new series worth watching:

Knightfall - History channel

http://www.tv.com/shows/knightfall/

The Long Road Home - National Geographic channel

http://natgeotv.com/ca/the-long-road-home
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Black Mirror - Season 4

All 6 episodes released by Netflix today. Each episode has a trailer on youtube. Piratebay has many sizes and uploaders from which to choose.
Vital Spark wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:12 am
Homer wrote:Black Mirror - Season 3
Just watched Episode 1 of Season 1 - Absolutely fantastic! I do hope that the other episodes live up to the first one. Being stand-alone episodes I can watch the other episodes when I have time, without having to remember what happened before. Right up my street.

VS
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Got it, thanks.

VS :cheers:
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Happy!

Co-created by the writer and director of Crank and Crank:High Voltage

Do you like your comedy graphic? Not graphic as in Graphic Novel, though Happy! is based on a best selling one. Graphic as in violent. And bloody. And blood with funny.

A little girl is taken. Two try to find her. One was the best detective in the department until he he became messed up. Now he's an excellent hit man who's more messed up. But funny, in a dry humor way. The other is the little girl's imaginary friend, named Happy. Did I forget to mention it's on the SyFy network? Anyway, they're, uh it's, uh... just watch the trailer

Seven episodes. Premiered in Dec. I got mine on PirateBay.
trevorcasto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trevorcasto »

Hello,
You will have to try out series such as breaking bad, casa de papel, how to put your mother, altered carbon, atlanta, the end of the fucking world and stranger things. These are very good series
mariad
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mariad »

If you have Netflix, you can hop on to this blog. They have compiled a list of shows that are coming on Netflix this April, 2018.

If i asking for my personal favorite as of now, i would recommend Troy the fall of a city.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Homer wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:00 am Happy!

Co-created by the writer and director of Crank and Crank:High Voltage
I found the first episode a little off-centre for me. I think it's the cartoon element. The stylised violence was fine (even humourous) and watching the lead falling apart but caryting on is funny (very much a la Crank).

I did enjoy SyFy's 'Blood Drive' last year which is equally gory and crazy, plus I adore Marama Corlett; anything she's in will have me watching and she's in leather, latex and all sorts in this one. Madness.
buksida

Post by buksida »

What do you guys use for downloading these days? TPB is offline more than on lately.

This is pretty good for TV shows but not movies or docos: https://eztv.ag/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson