The books and reading thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Books

Post by dtaai-maai »

THE COLE FAMILY TRILOGY - NOAH GORDON

The film thread had a review of The Prophet recently. I enjoyed the film and that prompted me to download the book. Gordon is an excellent storyteller, and the book rattles along, spending more time on Cole's developing years in England than the film could.
The 2nd book, SHAMAN, was even better. Set in and around the American Civil War, it deals intelligently with a number of religious, racial and political issues. More importantly though, it's another 'ripping yarn'.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

My kindle has allowed me to read books I actually want to read, rather than whatever I can find in local stores (at ridiculous prices).

I recently re-read Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy (though I can't find the later addition yet), and am currently reading A Song of Ice and Fire, the Game of Thrones series by George R R Martin.

Next, T.H. White's Once and Future King.

I should be temporarily fantasied out by then... :laugh:
This is the way
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I read this rather good piece of non-fiction recently and it's a great story:

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boys-Boat-Danie ... n+the+boat

It's the story of how a poor kid from Washington state managed to win a gold medal at rowing in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. I've no interest in rowing but I kept seeing the book getting good reviews so gave it a try and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

Currently reading I am Pilgrim, Terry Hayes.

So far so very good, can't put the thing down.

"The narrative is thrilling: the tension tightens with action...It's a murder mystery, an illuminating account of contemporary international politics and a study of an unusual man......An excellent thriller which as a first novel is really remarkable" (Literary Review)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

On this day in 1924, George Mallory and Sandy Irvine disappeared during one of the earliest attempts to climb Everest.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/on-this-day-- ... ml#zFm9inP

Into The Silence, The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest, ISBN 978-0-09956-383-9 is well worth a read.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Into The Silence, The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest, ISBN 978-0-09956-383-9 is well worth a read.
Yes, I read that a year or so back and it's very good, one of the best history books I've read for a long time. On a similar subject I've just been reading "Everest - The First Ascent: The untold story of Griffith Pugh" which is an account of a pioneer in research into the science of high altitude climbing and the use of oxygen.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everest-Ascent- ... 46043484#_
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

The Sugar Barons – Matthew Parker

For anyone interested in British Colonial history, this is an excellent book covering the rise and fall of the Empire in the West Indies

http://www.matthewparker.co.uk/the-suga ... arons.html

Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Read for the second time"The Strong Man” by James Rosen, a couple of months ago. It is a very well written book, should change your understanding of the Watergate scandal.

Arlo
Professional
Professional

Post by Arlo »

Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident

"In February 1959, a group of nine experienced hikers in the Russian Ural Mountains died mysteriously on an elevation known as Dead Mountain. Eerie aspects of the incident—unexplained violent injuries, signs that they cut open and fled the tent without proper clothing or shoes, a strange final photograph taken by one of the hikers, and elevated levels of radiation found on some of their clothes—have led to decades of speculation over what really happened. This gripping work of literary nonfiction delves into the mystery through unprecedented access to the hikers’ own journals and photographs, rarely seen government records, dozens of interviews, and the author’s retracing of the hikers’ fateful journey in the Russian winter. A fascinating portrait of the young hikers in the Soviet era, and a skillful interweaving of the hikers narrative, the investigators’ efforts, and the author’s investigations, here for the first time is the real story of what happened that night on Dead Mountain."
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Henry 14th wrote:Currently reading I am Pilgrim, Terry Hayes.

So far so very good, can't put the thing down.

"The narrative is thrilling: the tension tightens with action...It's a murder mystery, an illuminating account of contemporary international politics and a study of an unusual man......An excellent thriller which as a first novel is really remarkable" (Literary Review)t

Yes, excellent book'gripping from start to finish. Not to give anything away the main plot involves the production of a lethal strain of smallpox virus. The book suggests this virus and many others can be manufactured from ingredients readily found on the internet! I sincerely hope this is note the case. Very glad I followed Henry 14th recommendation .
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Darwin's ship library goes online, more than 195,000 pages and 5000 illustrations from the works are available for the perusal of scholars and armchair naturalists alike.

http://darwin-online.org.uk/BeagleLibra ... uction.htm

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

A couple of decent reads by the same author.
The first book was "The Cuckoo's Calling" and then I found "The Silkworm". Both published very recently. The author Robert Galbraith.
After reading the first book, which I thought was pretty good, I checked out reader comments on "Good Reads".
Jeeze, it was J.K Rowling. Blooming Harry Potter and all that.
Anyway, I was very pleasantly surprised by the writing. Based around a private detective who lost a leg with a army in Afghanistan and set in London.
Neither book will win the Nobel Prize but they were good - IMHO.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

:agree:

Not read the second one yet but I did enjoy The Cuckoo's Calling.

She has also written another book called The Casual Vacancy which is being adapted into a BBC Mini Series :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I've got that as well but must admit that as soon as I saw J K Rowling I havn't gone near it. I'll give it a go in due course.
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I did read The Cuckoo's Calling and although I eventually finished it I don't think I'll read the rest if the series.

Just something about her writing style that still stinks of Potter.