History Challenge & Journal

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
PeteC

Re: History Challenge

Post by PeteC »

redzonerocker wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14842206

Had to google the name but knew he was Welsh and a goalkeeper.
Never knew about the rule change . . . . it's just as well they did change it though! :shock:
Correct :thumb: More about his life and career here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leigh_Richmond_Roose

The rule change mentioned....."He also took full advantage of the rules of the day, which allowed the goalkeeper to handle the ball anywhere in his own half. It has been said that the 1912 alteration to the laws of the game, forbidding the goalkeeper to handle outside his penalty area, was directly due to the performances of Roose, who enjoyed taking part in attacks."

There is also a BBC radio 30 minute piece about him, but I'll be damned if I can find it again after listening to it which was the inspiration for this quiz. If I can resurrect it later, I'll post. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

prcscct wrote:......There is also a BBC radio 30 minute piece about him, but I'll be damned if I can find it again after listening to it which was the inspiration for this quiz. If I can resurrect it later, I'll post. Pete :cheers:
You should be able to find it on BBC Radio IPLayer at this link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07yjm5v

If not, name is Lost in France, BBC Radio WALES, 24 days left. IPlayer app: Menu>Factual>History then scan down
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Why are these railings damaged like they are, car crash, vandalism? What and where is it? Pete :cheers:
railings.jpg
railings.jpg (36.94 KiB) Viewed 495 times
railings2.jpg
railings2.jpg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 495 times
railings3.jpg
railings3.jpg (34.7 KiB) Viewed 495 times
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It looks more like design than damage to me, though I can't imagine the purpose. Perhaps something used to fit into those bends?
Looks like SE London, the posh end of Peckham perhaps? I was quite familiar with that area in the 80s and 90s.
This is the way
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Where is it ? Deptford

What is it? A sh**hole :D

The railings are made from WW2 stretchers. :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That was fast! :( :D Correct. See below links for full story. The thought I had is that millions have walked by those things over the years, especially younger generation people, and had no clue what they actually where. My initial comment about "damage, vandalism" I would think was the first thought that entered their minds, followed by "...how cheap the government is by not repairing this...are we that broke..." Pete :cheers:

http://transpont.blogspot.com/2013/10/h ... rs-as.html

https://greatwen.com/2012/04/17/secret- ... -railings/
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A short BBC video on the above subject about WWII stretchers used as fencing. This is where I initially got the quiz idea/info yesterday. Pete :cheers:

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

history1.jpg
history1.jpg (120.59 KiB) Viewed 470 times
I lived and died in the 19th century, becoming a famous and controversial figure. I was, naturally, selected for a number of important positions.

Who was I?
This is the way
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

A young man associated with Australia perhaps?
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I've seen that picture somewhere before.....anything to do with the Spencer family?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bristolian wrote:A young man associated with Australia perhaps?
It's not me. :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Nothing to do with the Spencers as far as I know.
Bristolian wrote:A young man associated with Australia perhaps?
Not really associated with Australia, although he did visit that country during a long and famous journey round the world (about 5 years I think) on a well-known ship. You could say he went for research purposes.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

There is a clue in the text of the question.
This is the way
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

As I seem to have beagles on my brain at the moment - is it by any chance a young Charles Darwin?

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

How does Charles Darwin fit on the voyage of the Beagle
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-