History Challenge & Journal

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Re: History Challenge

Post by Bristolian »

Bristolian wrote:A young man associated with Australia perhaps?
:D

Darwin was founded in 1869 and was originally called Palmerston before being renamed Port Darwin in 1911. The harbour was discovered in 1839 by the Captain of the Beagle, John Lort Stokes, who named it after a former shipmate, British evolutionist Charles Darwin.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Looks like I crossed with you VS. Knew I should not have toddled/waddled of for a second helping of lunch in the middle of everything.
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Bristolian wrote:
Bristolian wrote:A young man associated with Australia perhaps?
:D

Darwin was founded in 1869 and was originally called Palmerston before being renamed Port Darwin in 1911. The harbour was discovered in 1839 by the Captain of the Beagle, John Lort Stokes, who named it after a former shipmate, British evolutionist Charles Darwin.
Actually Darwin retained the name Palmerston as one of its suburbs!
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Vital Spark wrote:As I seem to have beagles on my brain at the moment - is it by any chance a young Charles Darwin?

VS
Indeed it is. The clue was in the words "... naturally, selected...".
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A little known fact about Thailand. What do you see unusual with this map? Hint: Focus on the Northern area. Pete :cheers:

phpkiqmMqPM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The northern border near Nan is wrong. The border follows the Mekong River.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Nereus wrote:The northern border near Nan is wrong. The border follows the Mekong River.
Yes, the border with Laos is the quiz part, but no, it doesn't follow the Mekong and therein lies the problem. When the French colonial masters drew the maps/borders in 1907 they made it the way you see it and Thailand (Siam then) has been protesting it ever since. There still exists an active Thai/Lao panel that has been negotiating for 100 years +.

Quite a fierce mini-war was fought between the two in 1987-89 in what I call that arm pit area that juts into Thailand directly east of Uttaradit. I don't think Thailand has any hopes of getting all of the area back west of the river, but they seem adamant about that "arm pit" area. None of this is publicized much and I would bet most younger generation Thais don't even know about the issue.

As a side note, you'll notice that in the south the French did the same thing for that small chunk of land where Laos, Thailand and Cambodia meet. The Thai border is west of the river. I've never seen anything that Thailand is disputing that. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Ok Pete, just before my time, although I was here in 1988. The only ongoing dispute that I was aware of is the Preah Vihear Temple area with Cambodia. :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

sometimes you come across crazy things.
The challenge is to:
Scan_20170326 (4).jpg
Scan_20170326 (4).jpg (22.9 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Name what it is
Where is it
What was it used for.

simple for people like D.M.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Name what it is
Where is it
What was it used for.
I guess this got lost along the line? If it is not the one in Bangkok then it is a damn good copy!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Swing
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:shock:
The ceremony was again performed until 1935, when it was discontinued after several fatal accidents.
To be replaced by mini-vans.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Heard something tonight on a PBS video that surprised me, but could be common knowledge to many. Pete :cheers:

What country has more castles than any other country in the world?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Well, it's going to be this side of the world anyway I'm sure! Wales has 600+, but certainly not the most in the world. Then there's the likes of Austria, Romania(?), Slovakia, Czech Rep.......

With the latter two being a whole lot bigger than Wales and having numerous castles of their own, I'd have a pop at one of those. BUT, from the tone of your post, I'm not full of confidence!! :?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

What is defined as a castle?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.