History Challenge & Journal

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
PeteC

Re: History Challenge

Post by PeteC »

What did a post office and a biscuit factory have in common in 20th century history? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Hint: First quarter of the 20th century. UK, more or less?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

During the Easter Rising in Dublin in 1916, the main force of volunteers occupied the General Post Office while the 2nd Battalion occupied the Jacobs biscuit factory under the command of Thomas MacDonagh
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

barrys wrote:During the Easter Rising in Dublin in 1916, the main force of volunteers occupied the General Post Office while the 2nd Battalion occupied the Jacobs biscuit factory under the command of Thomas MacDonagh
:thumb: Indeed, and the 100th anniversary earlier this year. 10 hours of documentary movie is available on Amazon, and free if you have Prime. 3 hours the entire story, and 7 hours of biography of the seven rebellion leaders. A good history study if you didn't study it in school.

It was a disorganized mess though, almost like they wanted and expected to be martyrs to further the cause. Pete :cheers:

Edit: In fact, one of the Irish professors presenting the biography portion likened their mentality and actions to present day Islamists.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A quick, silly thing this morning.

What do all three of the below have in common?

1) An inferno

2) Yorkshire

3) Christmas
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Post by huahinjim »

Puddings -
1. Inferno = Great fire of London 1666 started in Pudding lane
2. Yorkshire Pudding
3. Christmas Pudding
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Correct. :thumb: I thought everyone had ignored it. :laugh: Pete :cheers:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ok, here we have one that combines football, war, death, and an everlasting memorial in the form of a football rule that is still used today. Who is he, how did he die, and what is the football rule that resulted from his style of play. Pete :cheers:
HC 17-10-16.jpg
HC 17-10-16.jpg (6.87 KiB) Viewed 527 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Hint: Pharvey should know this. :D
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Ok it's sports and I'm well out of my depth but I'll
try and then give up... he is obviously Welsh. I've no idea who he is but did he die in WW1? Was he a hero?
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Very interesting to learn all about this man, who shamefully, I wasn't aware of before! I'll leave it to others to provide the answer.
Talk is cheap
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Could it be John Thomson the Celtic goalkeeper who died after an accidental kick to the head when diving at the feet of an oppenent ?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Bristolian wrote:Ok it's sports and I'm well out of my depth but I'll
try and then give up... he is obviously Welsh. I've no idea who he is but did he die in WW1? Was he a hero?
Yes he was Welsh and he died in WW1. If I recall correctly his remains were never found. Much confusion then and right up until modern times as the Army had his name spelled wrong on their official records.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

dundrillin wrote:Could it be John Thomson the Celtic goalkeeper who died after an accidental kick to the head when diving at the feet of an oppenent ?
No, not John Thomson.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14842206

Had to google the name but knew he was Welsh and a goalkeeper.
Never knew about the rule change . . . . it's just as well they did change it though! :shock:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.