History Challenge & Journal

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: History Challenge

Post by dtaai-maai »

Alternatively, it could be a very large clam, and since it's valuable it presumably has a very large pearl to go with it!
This is the way
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Is it a 3D printed image of GLC`s brain?
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

Funnily enough, I came across this picture a few weeks ago, due to the thread about India wanting it's diamond back.

I googled worlds largest diamond, wl ruby, wl saphire, etc.

One of those I also looked up at the time was worlds largest pearl, it's called The Pearl of Allah or Gods pearl.

Fascinating story around it, if you google it.

Funny old world isn't it, if you say one side of a baked loaf of bread looks like Mohammed, your more than likely to be stoned.

If it's the worlds Largest Pearl however.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

something excreted from a whale worth thousands?
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

arcadianagain wrote:Is it a 3D printed image of GLC`s brain?
Possibly - correct shape, but vastly exaggerated.... :wink: :D
dtaai-maai wrote:Alternatively, it could be a very large clam, and since it's valuable it presumably has a very large pearl to go with it!
And that's the pearl!!
JD wrote:Funnily enough, I came across this picture a few weeks ago, due to the thread about India wanting it's diamond back.

I googled worlds largest diamond, wl ruby, wl saphire, etc.

One of those I also looked up at the time was worlds largest pearl, it's called The Pearl of Allah or Gods pearl.

Fascinating story around it, if you google it.

Funny old world isn't it, if you say one side of a baked loaf of bread looks like Mohammed, your more than likely to be stoned.

If it's the worlds Largest Pearl however.
Absolutely - and it is quite a story. Not what I would have thought looks like a pearl, but there you are.... and at 14lb (~6.4Kg), quite a monster! Discovered in 1934 and at last valued at US$75 million, GB£51 million.......

http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/editor ... _pick.html

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Which seaport did a combined English army and navy force seize with a daring land and sea raid?
Of the 16,000 men half died from disease.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Sevastopol, Crimean War?
This is the way
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

ah no. location clue: many died of yellow fever
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Port-au-Prince - Haiti?
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Yellow Fever I would say had to be Africa or South Americas. Timescale (of the disease and "troubles") I would say something like Spanish-American War, but were the English/British involved? Not sure of the port at all.

As an aside I've just had another Yellow Fever jab and feel like absolute cr@p!!

:cheers: :cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Tobruk, Libya??
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

PHarvey, is there a yellow peril in China to require a Yellow Fever Jab?
South America is the right area and the island port has been in the news lately.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Jimbob wrote:PHarvey, is there a yellow peril in China to require a Yellow Fever Jab?
Nope - heading to the Congo for a short job......

Is it Portobelo?
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

Not Porto bello
next clue: another invasion (by cruise ship) is occurring there now.
Jimbob
Legend
Legend

Post by Jimbob »

to finish this off:
Havana was captured by the British during the Seven Years' War. The episode began on June 6, 1762, when at dawn, a British fleet, comprising more than 50 ships and a combined force of over 11,000 men of the Royal Navy and Army, sailed into Cuban waters and made an amphibious landing east of Havana.[5] The invaders seized the heights known as La Punta on the east side of the harbor and commenced a bombardment of nearby El Morro Castle, as well as the city itself. After a two-month siege, El Morro was attacked and taken, only after the death of the brave defender Luis Vicente de Velasco e Isla, on 30 July 1762. The city formally surrendered on 13 August. It was subsequently governed by Sir George Keppel on behalf of Great Britain. Although the British only lost 560 men to combat injuries during the siege, more than half their forces ultimately died due to illness, yellow fever in particular.

The British immediately opened up trade with their North American and Caribbean colonies, causing a rapid transformation of Cuban society. Food, horses and other goods flooded into the city, and thousands of slaves from West Africa were transported to the island to work on the undermanned sugar plantations.[6] Though Havana, which had become the third largest city in the new world, was to enter an era of sustained development and strengthening ties with North America, the British occupation was not to last. Pressure from London by sugar merchants fearing a decline in sugar prices forced a series of negotiations with the Spanish over colonial territories. Less than a year after Havana was seized, the Peace of Paris was signed by the three warring powers thus ending the Seven Years' War. The treaty gave Britain Florida in exchange for the city of Havana on the recommendation of the French, who advised that declining the offer could result in Spain losing Mexico and much of the South American mainland to the British.