Venues will now need licence for playing darts

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Bamboo Grove

Venues will now need licence for playing darts

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Darts is now seen as gambling and venues will need permits to be able to play. The same must happen to pool tables soon. What next?

http://www.thaidarts.com/index-gc.html
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Venues will now need licence for playing darts

Post by dtaai-maai »

Bridge and backgammon for starters!
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:50 pm What next?
We know they are doing their very best to restore happiness to the Thai nation :banghead:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:50 pm What next?
Fun...or maybe existence.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

For goodness sake! You'd think that they'd have more important things to think about. The crazy new laws coming out at the moment seem to be targetting things that foreigners enjoy: drinking on the beach, smoking on the beach, and now playing darts.

How about banning cock fighting? And enforcing it. At least with darts and other games no living thing gets hurt or killed.

OK, what's next? Sunbathing on the beach or even (god forbid) swimming in the sea wearing only a swimming costume. :shock:

VS :cuss:
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It's not a ban, it's to raise revenue. If the govt. is going to spend then it has to tax. So far there's been no way to make people pay their taxes so the next best thing is to force licensing on businesses. Eventually it will boomerang and businesses will close, the tax base will shrink and more licensing will occur. Sometimes governments don't know their a** from a hole in the ground.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

It's started already in Pattaya.
Police visited bars around the Soi 6 strip in the beach resort of Pattaya last week
They suspended Pattaya’s amateur darts league - frequented by the city's expats
The bars had been allowing patrons to play illegally, police told them, as the city's current entertainment license does not cover darts

By Alex Green For Mailonline

Published: 12:01 GMT, 5 February 2018 | Updated: 14:09 GMT, 5 February 2018

British expats in the Thai beach resort of Pattaya have been caught up in another police crackdown after officers raided bars across the city.

But instead of looking for drugs or illegal booze, officers were searching for dartboards - which they claimed were being used illegally by venues.

Many of the establishments affected are visited by expats and foreign tourists to the resort city on the eastern Gulf.

The raids were concentrated around Soi 6, a street known for its brothels, bars and copious neon pink signs.

One bewildered bar owner on the strip reported police demanding to see a 'dartboard license'.

When they were unable to produce the appropriate documentation police confiscated their dartboards, reports Thai Visa.

When they enquired as to how they could apply for a license they were told the license did not exist.

The current entertainment license required by bars in Pattaya does not cover darts, staff were informed.

This meant that bars had been illegally letting patrons play darts on their premises.

The crackdown also resulted in the suspension of Pattaya’s popular amateur darts league - frequented by many of the city's expats.

The event's organisers took up the matter with officials at Pattaya City Hall and contacted the Thailand Darts Association to seek clarification on the matter.

This is not the first time the Thai government has clamped down on apparently innocuous pursuits enjoyed by expats.

In 2016, police raided the Jomtien and Pattaya Bridge Club and arrested dozen elderly British nationals - including a former Honorary Consul.

Over 50 police officers and military volunteers raided the club arresting 32 foreigners, and holding them until 3am.

Despite not playing for money, Thai police say the bridge club broke the law by 'possessing more than 120 playing cards at one time'.

There are believed to be about 27,000 sex workers in Pattaya.

Many of them can be found on Pattaya’s infamous Walking Street, a two-kilometre strip lined with go-go bars and brothels.

More than eight million foreign tourists visited Pattaya in the first half of 2017.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... xpats.html
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

You could not make this up,weird beyond belief.

As Vital Spark mentioned cock fighting above. I recall my partner telling me about cock fighting in her village, when I asked why the police did not stop it she patted me on the head and with a sympathetic look informed me that is was held at the local policemans property.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

dundrillin wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 pm You could not make this up,weird beyond belief.

As Vital Spark mentioned cock fighting above. I recall my partner telling me about cock fighting in her village, when I asked why the police did not stop it she patted me on the head and with a sympathetic look informed me that is was held at the local policemans property.
Like it or not, cockfighting is legal in Thailand to the point where the birds are licensed and insured. Apparently a top bird can be worth up to 3 million! Bull fighting and cockfighting was exempted from the new animal welfare law passed a couple of years ago. It's a sport promoted by the government.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Here's the list of forbidden activities from the Gambling Act (1935): Well, I've broken the law also with dominos and backgammon. Point 16 puzzle? That puzzles me, too.
1. Lottery A,B
2. Po-pan
3. Po-kam
4. Tua
5. Pad-Kao
6. Jab yi ki
7. Domino
8. Biabok or odd/even or E-Jong
9. Three-card Monte
10. Mai –Sam-An
11. Chang-Nga or Poker
12. Mai-Dam, Mai-Daeng or Pla-Dam Pla-Daeng or E-Dam E-Daeng
13. E-Pong-krob
14. Kam-Tad
15. Mai-Mun or all roulette-like games
16. Hua-Toh or puzzle
17. Games in which animal torture is practiced, for example, by tying animals with a knife or
spines or by poisoning them in a fight, or by setting fire on the back of turtles in a turtle
race, or other games in which animals are tortured in similar manners.
18. Pool, Tee-Phee
19. Yon-jim
20. Si-Ngao-lak
21. Kluk-klik
22. Nam-tao and its derivatives
23. High-Low
24. Spin of coin
25. E-pong-sad
List B
1. Games in which animals are put to fight or to race such as bullfight, cockfight, fishfight or
horse race etc, other than games mentioned in number 17 of List A
2. Bull running
3. Boxing, wrestling
4. Boat racing, rowing
5. Image guessing
6. Quoit
7. Tossing of coins or any object in any kind of container
8. Fishing
9. Drawing lots by any means
10. Shooting
11. Pitching at face, animals or any object
12. Tao-Kham-Dan
13. Mak-Kaew
14. Mak-Hua-Daeng
15. Bingo
16. Lottery, raffle or any game of luck promising money or other benefit to any of the players
17. Totalisator of any game
18. Sweepstake of any game
19. Bookmaking of any game
20. Sale of lottery, raffle or sweepstake tickets which are not issued in Siam, but legally held in
the issuing country
21. Mah-jong, domino, card games
22. Backgammon
23. Billiard
24. Khong-Oy
http://www.krisdika.go.th/wps/wcm/conne ... 798fdc4669
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Cock fighting is banned? Of course. And fishing. Yup, OK.

Billiards is banned but not pool?

Pitching at face? there are a few individuals I'd like to invite to be a target, pity it's banned. :)

Like the list of reserved professions, this one is junk too.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Will the Thai professional darts team now be arrested.

And look where the qualifiers took place for the 2017 PDC World Championship Asia Qualifier,

Event Venue: Way Hotel in Pattaya

Event Address:
555/86 MOO 5, NAKLUA ROAD, BANGLAMUNG, CHONBURI 20150, THAILAND
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

It was amusing--When the elderly ex-pats were arrested for playing bridge in Pattaya, they said quite truthfully that they were not gambling--they were NOT playing for money. NO Thai person can grasp the concept that you could play cards and not be playing for money.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

The way I read the info in the linked document, in the two lists provided by Bamboo Grove, only the first 25 items (List A in the source document) are, in principle, prohibited - unless specifically authorized by Royal Decree. The items in List B can be permitted, but require either a license or a Ministerial Regulation saying that a license is not required.

So cock-fighting for instance (as mentioned by HHTel) is permitted but only with a license.

Although the wording is a little confusing, another paragraph seems to indicate that gambling on the activities in List B also requires a license or a Ministerial Regulation.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

.....,or by setting fire on the back of turtles in a turtle
race,....
What other country would need a law against gambling on that!