Record Shop & Cafe

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
rynka
Amateur
Amateur

Record Shop & Cafe

Post by rynka »

Does anyone know about this place? It's a Record Shop that also serves chilled imported beer of various brands.
It also has a Cafe across the Record Shop that serves coffee, cake etc. with local artwork on display.

It is located inside Seen Space, that beachfront mall near the immigration office.

I was just wondering if anyone's ever been there and what the experience was like.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Record Shop & Cafe

Post by Dannie Boy »

rynka wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:44 pm Does anyone know about this place? It's a Record Shop that also serves chilled imported beer of various brands.
It also has a Cafe across the Record Shop that serves coffee, cake etc. with local artwork on display.

It is located inside Seen Space, that beachfront mall near the immigration office.

I was just wondering if anyone's ever been there and what the experience was like.
You seem to know quite a bit about the place, have you been inside yourself?
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

It's on the north side, near the beach, one step down into the café. The records, when I went in were used copies of 60's and 70's pop and rock. The art work wasn't to my taste and I didn't try the beer. That was about 2 months ago.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Sounds like the OP is promoting the place
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I wonder how many privately owned turntables there are in HH...?
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:25 pm I wonder how many privately owned turntables there are in HH...?
You might be surprised! Vinyl seems to be making a comeback everywhere. If I could find my old albums that are somewhere here, I might be tempted myself. When I went to Fortune Tower in Bangkok, I was amazed at the number of shops stocking vinyl and a variety of turntables were widely available.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I grew up listening to vinyl records with all there clicks, pops, scratches and, despite publicity, low fidelity. If you don't have a high fidelity system and I'm not talking about stereo but a high end system, you won't hear but a small percentage of the music that's recorded. The first time I heard a cd of music that I was very familiar with I heard notes and frequencies that I'd never heard before. Your 30 yr. old vinyl recordings will sound like crap compared to a 30 yr. old cd. A friend used to buy records, play them once while he recorded them to reel-to-reel tape and only listened to the tape after that. Extreme but the only way to preserve vinyl while still being able to listen to the music.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 am Your 30 yr. old vinyl recordings will sound like crap compared to a 30 yr. old cd.
Well my hearing isn't good enough to challenge you on that, but that are an awful lot of folk out there who would! Not on the technical data, but simply on what provides the more authentic or better sound.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:26 am
handdrummer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:58 am Your 30 yr. old vinyl recordings will sound like crap compared to a 30 yr. old cd.
Well my hearing isn't good enough to challenge you on that, but that are an awful lot of folk out there who would! Not on the technical data, but simply on what provides the more authentic or better sound.
Better is a relative term. The only "authentic" sound is live music, everything else is a poor reproduction. That takes nothing away from the enjoyment of listening to a recording but a pair of 12" speakers cannot reproduce a symphony orchestra. I've spent many hours listening to music, late at night, on a 1950's car radio and was thrilled to be able to hear it but I never thought that it was what live music sounded like. Vinyl provides a "warmer" (whatever audiophiles mean by that) sound but cd's give you more of the music. As I said in my previous post, when I heard cd's of the music that I'd listened to on vinyl I heard notes that I hadn't heard on vinyl. That,for me, is better than warm fuzzies.
rynka
Amateur
Amateur

Post by rynka »

In that case handdrummer :) you should check out our live performance there this Friday 8.30pm
or anyone who's sick & tired of that same repertoire all across town... feel free to come check us out.

[Mod edit: advertising edited, please contact HHF if you want to use this website to promote venues.]

Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:27 am The only "authentic" sound is live music, everything else is a poor reproduction.
LOL. Most recorded music can't be played live without it being more than a resemblance to the recorded version. In concert how can you reproduce the sound of a guitar being plugged straight into the board during recording, or a overdubbing a vocalist 3 times, or miking one instrument at the end of a long acoustically live hall while the rest of the band are in another room?

As for acoustic music, recorded so the process adds or removes as little as possible, it's 'authentic' - if that means sounds different depending on where you are in the performance space, punctuated by foot shuffling, coughing, phones vibrating, people shifting in their seats, etc.

handdrummer wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:27 am As I said in my previous post, when I heard cd's of the music that I'd listened to on vinyl I heard notes that I hadn't heard on vinyl. That,for me, is better than warm fuzzies.
Does anyone record commercial CDs at a sampling rate and bandwidth that doesn't clip all the harmonics (e.g. 3rd, 4th order), produced by the instruments?

It's all about the various flavors of fuzzies. Music that doesn't produce an emotional response is suitable for equipment testing.

All IMHO, of course.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Looking at the argument from the reverse makes a good point. I wasn't thinking about reproducing recorded music live, just the opposite. As an improviser the idea of reproducing, note for note, recorded music is abhorrent. Also I was, though I may not have made that clear, referring to acoustic instruments. I'm rather ignorant of what goes on with electronic instruments. I don't really like the sound of them. I've played some and played with some but, for me, there's something visceral missing from them. That says nothing about the players, amongst whom there are some virtuosos, I'm just speaking about the sound to my ears. I'm not sure that I can distinguish 3rd and 4th order harmonics. I do know that something is missing in most recordings, although, these days, I listen only to "classical" music for the "emotional response" it evokes in me and I don't do equipment testing. In thinking about your description of "authentic", in regards to acoustic music, I'm not listening for the extraneous sounds of an audience on a recording. Authentic means, to me, capturing, as close as possible, what was played live and reproducing it on a home system. That has severe limitations but, nevertheless, can produce enjoyment. Enough rambling.