Cocktail bars

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Cocktail bars

Post by Khundon1975 »

Jose wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:18 am does a lager top count as a cocktail
Only if you have a cherry in it and a little paper umbrella on the top.
Really sophisticated, especially if you crook your little finger whilst drinking it.
:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

hmmmm...Father Ted's.... Red Piano..... nice enough places to go for a drink or a bite to eat (Red Piano especially)..... but neither of them I feel are nice enough to be classed as "somewhere to take my girlfriend for a special birthday cocktail". Father Ted's is just a pub.

But as we see from previous replies, one person's nice is another person's pretentious, and someone else's nice is another's 'just a pub'
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

johnjar wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:22 pm
ahandpatsy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:36 pm
johnjar wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:10 am I find there are many extremely nice bars and restaurants around Hua Hin center that do very good cocktails with good food and wine, just walk around for 1/2 hour they are all there, no better place :)
really ???

name one
Father Teds on Damnernkasem Road, Soi 61 an excellent bar restaurant to take out your partner, one among many that Hua Hin has to offer :)
Father Teds ?? wow

Thanks for the map but its not required I can just follow the smell of fags, burnt meat and sweat

Last time I was in there it was full of drunk blokes shouting obscenaties at various English football teams.

I think we have a different idea of a speciall place to take somebody and or what constitutes a cocktail (hint Guinness and blackcurrent is NOT a cocktail).

Thanks for the suggestion though maybe we can also call into El Murphy's and watch the local's hustle whilst I tell her how much she means to me 555

father teds made me laugh thanks x
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

STEVE G wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:35 pm On the subject of cocktails, I've noticed on my beach walks a poster for a "Cocktail Buffet" at a place called The Rock which I think is a hotel in Khao Takiap. I think it was something like 600bt for a couple of hours on a saturday evening.
thanks for posting this, I will try it out next time we're there. (details are on their website for anyone else interested)

can do it straight after shopping/eating at Cicada market
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

The map wasn't for Father Ted's, the map was for Marrakesh (coming from the centre of town heading to Khao Takiab, go past the Intercontinental and it's about 300-400m further than the Intercontinental on the same side of the PK Road)
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

ahandpatsy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:51 pm
johnjar wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:22 pm
ahandpatsy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:36 pm

really ???

name one
Father Teds on Damnernkasem Road, Soi 61 an excellent bar restaurant to take out your partner, one among many that Hua Hin has to offer :)
Father Teds ?? wow

Thanks for the map but its not required I can just follow the smell of fags, burnt meat and sweat

Last time I was in there it was full of drunk blokes shouting obscenaties at various English football teams.

I think we have a different idea of a speciall place to take somebody and or what constitutes a cocktail (hint Guinness and blackcurrent is NOT a cocktail).

Thanks for the suggestion though maybe we can also call into El Murphy's and watch the local's hustle whilst I tell her how much she means to me 555

father teds made me laugh thanks x
Well I went there with my partner for a romantic Irish breakfast w/eggs, bacon ,sausage, beans and black pudding c/w a pint of the black velvet ...It really it the spot..must try that cocktail you mentioned though :wink:
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

MDMK wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:01 pm The map wasn't for Father Ted's, the map was for Marrakesh (coming from the centre of town heading to Khao Takiab, go past the Intercontinental and it's about 300-400m further than the Intercontinental on the same side of the PK Road)
Many apologies I think I was still in shock over the father Teds romantic Irish breakfast/cocktail bar revelation
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

ahandpatsy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:39 pm Many apologies I think I was still in shock over the father Teds romantic Irish breakfast/cocktail bar revelation
No worries. I feel the same about Father T's. Fine for a pub, but not my idea (at all!) of somewhere special for someone special on special date. I would decapitate my husband if he took me there for something special, lol. Honestly, you can't go wrong with the Centara. It has all the wow factor of a top 5 star hotel, yet the beach bar is casual and relaxed for cocktails at sunset. They often have a band on at the beach bar (or something more like a singing duo) and it has a nice cosy feeling. Big comfy seats etc, outdoors, direct onto the beach. And with 2 for 1 happy hour around sunset, not even that expensive.

Marrakesh is very nice too, also has live music on, but doesn't have the luxurious feeling the Centara has.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I'll just say that people who feel that wanting to take one's other half to somewhere classy for cocktails once in a while is pretentious are themselves more pretentious than anyone. Inverted snobbery makes me cringe even more than snobbery, which I find I can just laugh at.

Go, sip, enjoy!
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

johnjar wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:05 pm Well I went there with my partner for a romantic Irish breakfast w/eggs, bacon ,sausage, beans and black pudding c/w a pint of the black velvet ...It really it the spot..must try that cocktail you mentioned though :wink:
is your girlfriend Waynetta Slob or Lily Savage? :laugh:
johnjar
Guru
Guru

Post by johnjar »

MDMK wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:52 pm
ahandpatsy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:39 pm Many apologies I think I was still in shock over the father Teds romantic Irish breakfast/cocktail bar revelation
I would decapitate my husband if he took me there for something special.
MDMK ...You sound more like Lily Savage, I,me glad I,me not your husband :o
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I haven't been there for a couple of years and I think the management has changed, but last time I went Dune Hotel, at the end of Nebkheart road had a nice little rooftop bar which served beers, food and a nice selection of cocktails.
404cameljockey wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:07 pm I'll just say that people who feel that wanting to take one's other half to somewhere classy for cocktails once in a while is pretentious are themselves more pretentious than anyone. Inverted snobbery makes me cringe even more than snobbery, which I find I can just laugh at.
He was probably just frustrated that after staring at his screen for hours he just couldn't find a way to get in his stock "rent don't buy" line into the conversation.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Putahracsa Hotel on Naebkehardt Road does 2 for 1 cocktails for happy hour(s) at the Oceanside Beach Bar (outdoor), quite upmarket with a live jazz duo (check for timings of both, it can get busy with BKK HiSos, so reserve a bed or lounger). Food is good. Very nice for sundowners.

And at the north end of town, Devasom Hua Hin Resort has 2 for 1 cocktails in the afternoon. Very nice setting but just a quiet colonial style hotel. You can sit on the verandah looking at the gardens or go down to the recliners by the beach front. Not a fancy place but worth a couple of hours if you're up that way and want to relax.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

or you could buy a couple of cans of cocktails, sit on the couch at home and turn on the terrorvision.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:48 pm or you could buy a couple of cans of cocktails, sit on the couch at home and turn on the terrorvision.
You know how to treat a lady.